Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video file not accessible to move, copy, or delete. It is open in CVRS.
ChasCall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2013 12:40 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I can't find a way to close the file, which supposedly is open in the Cyberlink Rich Video Service in PDR 11. I didn't ask for the service in the first place and PDR 11 is closed, but it appears to have a death grip on the file anyway. Does anyone know how to close a file open in this feature, and also stop PDR 11 from getting a grip on any other files in the future?

I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
[Post New]
Quote: I can't find a way to close the file, which supposedly is open in the Cyberlink Rich Video Service in PDR 11. I didn't ask for the service in the first place and PDR 11 is closed, but it appears to have a death grip on the file anyway. Does anyone know how to close a file open in this feature, and also stop PDR 11 from getting a grip on any other files in the future?

I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

RichVideo installs in the Windows Start, I disable it, RichVideo automatically opens the PD.

Sometimes PD11 crashes and force to close, it takes long time to close and it may be what you reported.
In this case the own PD does not open.

Otherwise you can close the file by opening Windows safe mode (F8 at startup) I think.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2013 17:23

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Have you already tried opening Task Manager and ending the Richvideo services ?

(Also clicking on the "Services" tab and highlighting Richvideo.exe & Richvideo64.exe and Right click select "Stop")

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can't find a way to close the file, which supposedly is open in the Cyberlink Rich Video Service in PDR 11.

RV is a PD11 background service that starts automatically. From a Cyberlink FAQ...

"What is Cyberlink Rich Video and how do I use it?

Rich Video can save an enormous amount of production time by reusing video file information created by MagicCut or Scene Detection functions. PowerDirector stores the information within the files, ensuring that the next time these features are used on the same files, the speed of production is dramatically improved. **You can check CyberLink's rich media technology by accessing "Preferences". "

** It appears that this toggle is no longer available in PD 11, but the documentation has not been updated.

If the program hangs with the CVRS message, press <ctrl-shift-esc> simultaneously.
Locate the Cyberlink Rich Video item. Right-click it and END TASK.

If you want to defeat the auto-start of this service, in Win 7 click the START orb.
In Windows 8, press <win-w>. (The "win" key is the one with the flag - usually at the lower right on the keyboard.)

Type "services" into the search box.
Locate the item, right click it, click PROPERTIES and choose either MANUAL or DISABLE. This may impair some PD11 functionality.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2013 09:33

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
If nothing else, it should be free to delete or move the next time you start your computer. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to all of you for your input. I understand better now what is happening. Indeed the CRSV process is automatically started along with PDR 11 and it remains running after PRD 11 is closed, thus tying up any files running on it.

The access to stop CRVS using the start services menu is denied though. A system restart does stop the service though and free up any files caught in its web.

Once again, thanks.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The access to stop CRVS using the start services menu is denied though. A system restart does stop the service though and free up any files caught in its web.

Access denied may be a permissions issue. I am the administrator here and am able to stop the service. W8.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Purely for the record, I have used unlocker utilities in the past - not for this exact issue, but for files that have retained the locked flag after a program has unloaded.

There are a number out there, several freeware, but beware of the "optional crapware" that might come along with them from time to time. It saves having to do a system restart or whatever.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I got my file out of the grasp of CRVS by moving the file. It is free now and all there is to worry about is that someday CRSV may hunt it down and lock it up again. :>
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I think I have found the final solution to kicking CRVS out of my Cyberlink life. When I found it in the "local services" directory I needed to right click and then select "properties". At that point I was able to select to disable the service and that took effect. I don't know if it will stay dead when I close and reopen PDR 11.
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, when I disabled the CRVS in my local services then PDR 11 would hang on its opening icon and it was stuck. I had problems getting that all cleared up as I couldn't fix it by just going back and starting the CRVS service like you would expect. Finally, I switched over to a cloned HD and got going again, thank God for Casper.

So, CVRS and I are at a standoff, eyeing each other for the next go round. Meanwhile I have upgraded to PDR 2812 and I will give it a workout and see if the slow response I had with 2707 has gone away.

Overall, I think PDR 11 is a wonderful piece of software. I had PDR 10 from a few years ago and it was junk compared with 11.

Thanks to all for your comments.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
If you never use the RichVideo facilities, then disable RichVideo. From memory it used to be a user preference but is no longer.

Your problem in using the disable service is that PD may still call for RichVideo. If you are confident in tinkering with the registry then (after taking a registry backup or two) use regedit to navigate to the EnableRichVideo key, as shown in the attached snip, and change the value from 01 to 00.

Please note that screwing up the registry may be terminal, so tinker with it at your own risk. This change is fully reversible if other problems arise.

That may solve your issue by allowing PD to run without calling for, or expecting, RV to load.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - RV.PNG]
 Filename
RV.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't think I will try that Rider, first because I haven't ever tinkered with my registry and second, I don't have the tools to do it.

After I disabled CRVS the main program would stop on start up and tell me CRVS was not installed. It then asked if I wanted PDR to install it or otherwise just quit PDR. So I said okay, but the program just hung at that point and CRVS was never installed. Don't ask me how it came to disappear in the first place, as I only disabled it.

I had to switch over to my back up HD (thank God for Casper) to get back on track. With all the wrestling over CRSV, I have yet to confirm that the latest PDR 11 upgrade works well for me, but that is another problem altogether.

The bottom line is that for not CRSV kidnaps a file every now and then and I have to rescue it by rebooting my system, freeing the file so that I can hide away from CRVS b4 I wake it up by opening PDR 11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2013 09:59

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PD11 apparently now requires that the Rich service be enabled. When it's disabled, the program reports that it is
"not installed" - and it won't launch. That's what happens here. REenabling it in SERVICES restored normal function.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2013 10:51

vn800rider
[Post New]
Yes, by default PD loads the EnableRichVideo key with a value of 01, therefore it expects RV to be loaded. If you change the value to 00, it no longer calls for or loads RV facilities.

See attached "Import File" window differences for illustration.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - ERV key default Value 01.PNG]
 Filename
ERV key default Value 01.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
345 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
209 time(s)
[Thumb - ERV key Value 00.PNG]
 Filename
ERV key Value 00.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
415 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
211 time(s)
Confucius
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, by default PD loads the EnableRichVideo key with a value of 01, therefore it expects RV to be loaded. If you change the value to 00, it no longer calls for or loads RV facilities.

Confirmed, that this works. But, as noted, editing the registry is not to be taken lightly. If the user continues to experience hangs, and chooses to go this route, here is how to disable Rich Video.

If you use a Mac you can stop reading here.

In Windows 7, click the START orb and in the search box type "regedit" (no quotes). <enter>

In Windows 8, press the <win-q> keys simultaneously. (The "win" key is the one with the Windows flag, usually near the bottom-right of the keyboard.) In the search box type "regedit" (no quotes). <enter>

When the registry editor pops up, left-click once on MY COMPUTER (far left, at the top) - to highlight that item.
In the menu bar click EDIT|FIND and in the box type "EnableRichVideo" (no spaces/no quotes). <enter>

Wait as it searches; the item should appear - highlighted. Right-click on it and click on the word "Modify."

Note that the cursor is to the left of "01" in the number string.
Press the DELete key to erase that number.
Press the 0 (zero) key, then <enter> to replace "01" with "00."

That's it. To revert to "01" simply use the same method.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2013 13:56

RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Chas-

I was going to start a thread with the subject: Disabling / Trouble shooting Richvideo service.

This one is going quite nicely. You wouldn't mind adding or updating the title on this thread so if there are any future issues like this we can just link to it?

Or should I just go ahead and start a new thread? What does everyone think?

Adrian-

I will give the registry tweak a shot and see.
What you say makes sense. I am just concerned the service has taken on more and become a bigger part of CL software since its initial release. But a testing I will go to see what issues if any pops up. (I already tried various combinations like the Msconfig disable and renamed / deleted the service etc. with no luck. PD squawks and goes crazy on me.)

Rob
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PD11 apparently now requires that the Rich service be enabled. When it's disabled, the program reports that it is
"not installed" - and it won't launch. That's what happens here. REenabling it in SERVICES restored normal function.

Yes, but when I went to enable CRVS it was gone, "poof" into cyber heaven. Then PRD11 could not succeed in re-installing it.
ChasCall [Avatar]
[Post New]
Whatever anyone wants to do on this thread is okay with me, including starting a new one.
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay- just did my testing.

For those following this thread there are two services one 32 bit & one 64 bit.

Go to your Task Manager and you will see:
Rich Video Module (32bit) & Rich Video Modules running.
They also known as RichVideo & RichVideo64 service and also show up as
Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) & Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS)
They just different names of the same two services: a 32 bit and a 64 bit Rich Video.exe

Here is my test.

1. Stopped both the 32 & 64 bit .exe files in Task Manager.

2. Edited the registry to disable the "enablerichvideo" registry setting to 00 00 00 00 which is OFF (instead of 01 00 00 00 which is default ON)

3. Used Msconfig to stop the Richvideo (CRVS) from starting. Then rebooted.

Opened Task Manager to find Richvideo.exe (32 bit) did NOT start-
BUT Richvideo64.exe started. Hmmm... further testing:

Stopped the Richvideo64.exe in Task Manager- Services tab and fired up Power Director 11 and did some editing and mucking about.
Richvideo.exe still not started- however Richvideo64.exe always restarted itself.

Okay- quit PD 11 and went to the directory C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared Files and renamed Richvideo64.exe to "Richvideo64.exe.bak"

Tried to start PD 11 - no go. Cyberlink popup warns me that the Richvideo Service is not installed.
Renamed "Richvideo64.exe.bak" to Richvideo64.exe and all is good agian. PD starts and works.

Further testing to see what effects disabling the 32 bit .exe service has if any.
Used Color Director, used PowerDVD 11 and started PD 11 several more times and used those- still no 32 bit.exe being started or called.
(Note the richvideo.exe might not be used for those prgms, I was just opening all the Cyberlink prgms I had installed and throwing them at the system to see what would happen. This was a short term test however.)

So I re-enabled the registry setting to 01 00 00 00 which is ON and and reverted all disabling procedures.

Anyone who tries to disable these services make sure both and not just one is disabled- then try PD and see if it will work. Let us know.

Rob