Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disabling Rich Video feature
Jim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2008 16:39 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know if disabling the Rich Video feature will interfere with the functionality of PD 6? I have had a number of instances lately where this feature appears to conflict with something else on my machine and it is causing freezes and crashes within the PD architecture. I cannot pinpoint this for sure, but all signs point to this software. If it is possible to disable/uninstall it, what is the best way? It does not show in the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel of XP.

Thanks all.

Jim
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim,

Have you tried unticking the RichVideo boxes, Edit/Preferences/General

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Jim [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked that menu, Robert. The first box was checked and the second box was unchecked. They both are not unchecked. But in reading the actual descriptions of these boxes, it appears these do not effect the actual startup loading of Rich Video, only what Rich Video does after it is running. I keep going through the task manager and stopping this program, but it self-initiates whenever I perform some operation, probably a capture, in PD6. I have noticed whenever the save menu pops up, Rich Video is appended to the bottom by way of the extended window screen. This occurs after I stop the process in the task manager. I am thinking this is how it re-initiates. At any rate, I keep getting crashes. Is there any way to stop this process from loading altogether without effecting PD6? I guess the better question is whether or not Rich Video is a stand alone or integrated into PD6?

Thanks again.

Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2008 18:49

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim

You should be able to disable RichVideo in Admin Services
Start/Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services
locate Cyberlink RichVideo and disable

What effect this may have on PD6 you will have to try it and find out, it may do nothing, or it may crash.

Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jim,

Just as a follow up, do you have other video editing software on your computer? there are many occasions, where software will clash because they are trying to occupy the same space and conflict with each other

RichVideo is where PD6 stores all your information, so that it can be retrieved quickly and easily, disabling this feature may cause PD6 to slow down or crash

PDtoots
Jim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I am finding that out the hard way. Since I disabled it this afternoon, PD has crashed at least ten times. The problem is I now cannot figure out how to enable it. It does not appear in the Services menu I previously disabled it under. Further, Rich Video does still manage to automatically activate, but I am not able to determine what it is doing differently than it was doing before I disabled it. This is a real mess now. I may have to simply uninstall and reinstall to get it to work again. I keep losing my projects at crucial times. Too bad Cyberlink does not tell you what these features do, especially when they look just like add-on software. I guess Cyberlink is taking a few lessons from Microsoft when it comes to integrating the features and programs they want you to have whether you want them or not or know what they do or not.

Jim
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
PART C

Dafydd
Jim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Dafydd. Two quick questions regarding a reinstall. I am sure I will lose all of my custom files on the uninstall or they will be overwritten with the reinstall. I was simply going to copy the appropriate files to another location, then put them back once the reinstall is finished. First, do you know where all of these files are located (I am using XP)? Second, can I simply "plug" them back into the appropriate folders without causing path problems? Is it better to overwrite the installed folders with the custom files or delete the installed folders then paste in the custom files?

I just want to make sure I do not lose my custom files a second time. Thanks.

Jim
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

The custom files you've created - Time-line Titles for example are stored:
C:My Documents/CyberLink/PowerDirector/6.0

These will NOT be uninstalled when you uninstalled PD. An uninstall should not effect your project files either.

Hope the info helps

Dafydd
Jim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Dafydd. I backed up the files just in case. I uninstalled and reinstalled without issues. Regretfully, I seem to still have the problem with PD crashing periodically. It usually happens when I first place a clip on the timeline and start to edit it. It is as if it is too much at once. I can tell instantly if PD is going to crash as it takes a very long time to do anything, sort of a "mini-freeze." The computer crunches a bit, then the "must close now" window pops up and whatever I was doing is lost. This has been happening more and more lately. I do not know if I am trying to push the program too fast or if my computer hardware is not capable of working fast. I have 2 GB of memory, but it does get loaded up when PD is rendering or producing. Any hints or suggestions?

Also, is there a merge command to seamlessly join two clips that were part of the same sequence? I had an uncommon event happen earlier today where PD divided a clip into two pieces. When I placed them adjacent and played them, I had momentary skips where the clips joined. There is not easy way to edit the skips out, so I was wondering if a merge command existed where two or more clips from the same sequence without any breaks can be joined together to remove the clip gaps.

Jim
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I almost forgot to post an answer.

1. Aquarium.mpg placed in the time-line
2. Split the clip have way and delete the right portion
3. Place your cursor over the end of the split clip (where you have cut the clip)
4. A double direction arrow appears
5. Click and hold - now drag it out to the right.
6. you can drag it out to the maximum size of the original clip on that edge/side.

You can also drag it to the right (it's a trim tool) to shorten the clip.

You can use this tool to extend a previously split clip.

Hope this is what you're after

Dafydd
I've written this from memory, so if I've not made myself clear - please say.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 28. 2008 14:59

Jim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Dafydd, for the follow-up. I think the problem may have been I was not clear with what I meant. I am recording tv shows onto a DVD+RW disc. I then capture the shows from the disc to my computer using PD 6. Most of the time, the capture goes without incident and the video is transferred as it was recorded as one unit (whether it be 30 minutes or two hours). Here of late, however, PD 6 has been crashing quite a bit (about one in four times on the opening of an old project or one in two if I am editing a new clip that I just captured). The tell-tale signs of the crash are the computer goes into a ponderous thinking mode where nothing happens but a lot of "data crunching" within the CPU. What most easily triggers this crunching mode is when the clip first pops onto the edit screen and automatically loads into the timeline. The audio is not there yet, but the video is. If I use the arrow keys under the on-screen program monitor to fine tune a starting point before the program has a chance to do whatever it thinks it needs to do, PD crashes. I have been deliberately trying to give the program and machine a chance to catch up to itself before I try any editing operations, but the crash happens anyway. No idea why. I lose whatever was on screen, and I have to start over. When I load the clip from the file without having to transfer from the capture screen, I usually have much better success with all operations. So, I am thinking there is something in the process between the capture and edit screens that is eating up a lot a memory or something that causes the crash when I try to perform initial duration editing. I do have crashes similar to this during the editing process (almost always when I deal with trimming), usually when I use the arrow keys too quickly, but they are not as frequent.

As to the merging of clips, it is related to this transfer between capture and edit. On the capture screen, the video clip shows as one solid piece of video without any drops or errors. But when it transfers and crashes, the video splits into two pieces. I do not know if this is what caused the crash where the program cannot read something or if the crash causes the split, but the second clip is usually a splinter of the original averaging around 470 mb. Further, when the crash occurs immediately after transferring the video from capture to edit, 9 out of 10 times I will have this splinter clip. I do not think the problem is my recorder as I have recorded many programs without error and the feature that divides the clip into segments is disabled. The problem is also not related to the brand or individual disc as I only use quality disc names and I have been marking discs where video is dropped or this error occurs. The pattern is not consistent. The splinter clip lines up with the main clip, but when they play thru, there is an obvious momentary burp in the video and audio where the clips join. I did not think of it until now, but I will try to recapture from the next disc where this occurs to see if the data is corrupted from the disc prior to the capture. At any rate, I now have several videos that have splinter clips. I cannot extend the clip with the feature you describe as the program does not "see" one clip segmented into two where both are complete with parts hidden, but rather two separate complete clips adjacent to each other that are represented in their entirety. I was hoping there was a merge command that could fuse the clips together where the burp would not be seen or heard.

Hope I have not fatigued you into tears yet. Does my explanation make sense?

Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 28. 2008 14:42

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hope I have not fatigued you into tears yet. Does my explanation make sense?
Jim

Yep, it did.

I think you need to do a bit of self-help on your PC.

1. Defrag your hard drive
2. Maximise the working GB space on your hard drive for your project
3. Edit only data on your hard drive NOT from a RW
4. Use simple Copy and Paste to transfer the files across
5. Uninstall re-install PD and remember to Add the Bonus and then the patch as well.
6. Add another Hard Drive - might help
7. Increase the Ram in your PC
8. Scan for virus' on your HD
9. Shut down background running software to maximise your CPU capability.
10. Read everyone of the guides here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
11. Improve your graphics card
12. Update your graphic card drivers

Any da.. thing I've forgotten can be tried....

Dafydd