Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Show shadow under windows
PJay [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 09, 2009 13:53 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Please force PowerDVD not to disable "Show shadow under windows"
It's very annoying and doesn't save any resource. You have to disable other running exe files instead...
rickycht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 03, 2012 07:33 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
There should be a setting somewhere using Windows. I haven't try this instead but there should be one available to disable shadows on every software you are using.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: There should be a setting somewhere using Windows. I haven't try this instead but there should be one available to disable shadows on every software you are using.

richycht, Please read the original post again, the request is to disable the fact that PDVD 12 seems to shut down " Show shadow under Windows. You might have misread it and have your answer backwards.

P.J. Could you post a little more information? Version of Windows, and other important information that describes the problem. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote: Please force PowerDVD not to disable "Show shadow under windows"
It's very annoying and doesn't save any resource. You have to disable other running exe files instead...
In the settings, Blu-Ray Disc / Advanced / Windows Aero, uncheck the "Allow PowerDVD to automatically disable Windows Aero to optimize Blu-Ray disc playback" option. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Korrigan: it's not the thing I said.

@stevek: GPU: HD7770 / OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1
Sometimes, PowerDVD crashes and I had to enable it manually which is painful.
There's no reason to disable the shadow under windows!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: @Korrigan: it's not the thing I said.

@stevek: GPU: HD7770 / OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1
Sometimes, PowerDVD crashes and I had to enable it manually which is painful.
There's no reason to disable the shadow under windows!

So crashing is the problem and not being able to restart is the symptom? Perhaps if you tell us more about the crashing - when , how often, what is being done when it crashes?

Can yiou take a look at your Windows, log files under applications. You should see an indication of the crash via a red indicator. Open that and tell us what it says.

Sometimes a re-install will cure the problem. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
It happens to every program and it's not the problem.
The problem is that PowerDVD shouldn't disable the shadow under windows.
There's no reason to touch the windows settings!
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: It happens to every program and it's not the problem.
The problem is that PowerDVD shouldn't disable the shadow under windows.
There's no reason to touch the windows settings!

Just a question - how do you know it is PowerDVD that is making the change? Are you the administrator of the computer?

Crashing isn't a problem for you?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 22. 2013 11:51

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi P.J.
sorry but I do not understand your problem.

"The problem is that PowerDVD shouldn't disable the shadow under windows. "

are you referring to Aero on/off? (you can change this behavior in PowerDVD 12 Settings (under BD))

in case you encounter performance or any other issues - please check the "must have read" :
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21448.page

and provide some information and a detailed issue description.

thanks
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
I actually understand what he is meaning, even if it's a really minor issue. I'm gonna try to post two screenshots to show the issue.

With window shadows:

Without window shadows:

PDVD is indeed turning that feature off when running, and sometimes fails to turn it back on.
Really no big deal though.

EDIT: put up even better images.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2013 13:29

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
[Post New]
I'm sorry, they look the same to me. .
[Post New]
Quote: I'm sorry, they look the same to me.
Wear you glasses, gran'pa!

Just kidding

Uploaded much better examples. My desktop background is indeed dark and it's hard to see then, specially if your display is not correctly calibrated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2013 13:37

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
[Post New]
I am a grandpa (for the second time recently) and I do use the Spyder software and colorimeter.

What I see is the right edge of a partial Windows screen with two icons at the bottom. They both look the same to me. Both have a red 'X" over the right side icon.

Yes, I had eye surgery last year that restored my vision to better than the original.

What am I supposed to see? .
[Post New]
Look at the window BORDER. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
[Post New]
As an add-on.

I wonder why the original poster needs this so frequently. The poster says that the program crashes so he has to restore the previous version using shadow copy. He doesn't think that frequent crashes of programs or deletions of files are important/ a problem. .
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: Look at the window BORDER.

Perhaps someone else can see the difference or perhaps my screen is giving me a problem. Could you simply attach the two images to a thread? .
[Post New]
Quote: As an add-on.

I wonder why the original poster needs this so frequently. The poster says that the program crashes so he has to restore the previous version using shadow copy. He doesn't think that frequent crashes of programs or deletions of files are important/ a problem.
You completely misunderstood him I think.

He says that in some cases, notably when PDVD crashes, the shadows under the windows aren't turned back on.

And no, shadows under windows are NOT an addon, but a standard feature of Vista, 7 and 8.

Quote:
Quote: Look at the window BORDER.

Perhaps someone else can see the difference or perhaps my screen is giving me a problem. Could you simply attach the two images to a thread?
You can see the difference quite clearly on the two new images I uploaded to my previous post. I have no doubt Michael will see what is meant, which is the most important.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2013 13:56

stevek
[Post New]
The issue is still crashes of programs - regardless of what they are. If he has to do this frequently, then it may be a problem. What can't the OP just use Restore? I do understand that it is NOT an add-on and a way to do a restore to just one item rathern that a full restore.on.

BTW, this is what I see in the images above. Look at the attachment:
[Thumb - shadow.jpg]
 Filename
shadow.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Images of Shadow posted.
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
236 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote: BTW, this is what I see in the images above. Look at the attachment:
And you don't see the difference? Seriously?

Well nevermind - just let Michael see the pics. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
THANK YOU Korrigan!

It doesn't relate to Aero on/off and Aero is always on.
I'm talking about this checkbox:

[Thumb - shadow.jpg]
 Filename
shadow.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
shadow
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)