Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where can I get a download link or full copy of PowerDVD 12 Ultra?
Deni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2013 21:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I bought PowerDVD 12 Ultra as an upgrade, as I had also done with 3 previous versions. However I had a major system crash and had to buy a new hard drive and put on a completely clean installation of Win7 Ultimate. I tried to install 12, but it needs a previous version installed. Tried to install all of my other previous versions as well, with the same result. I also tried installing a trial of the previous version to see if that would let me install 12, but that didn't work either.

There is no way to reach a human to ask for help. I opened a support ticket to ask for help from them, but they are taking their time in responding.

I also tried to download the trial version to see if I could apply my reg code to that and go forward, but there is nowhere to enter the code in the trial version that I can find.

Can anyone here help? I'm not looking for something that I haven't paid for, I just need the full version not the upgrade version.
M8R [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 31, 2010 18:41 Messages: 89 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not looking for something that I haven't paid for, I just need the full version not the upgrade version.

Yes, you do. You bought the upgrade version and not the full version which costs more money.
Install the old full version you have (if you lost that, the support can provide you with a download link) and after that apply the upgrade (maybe you need to install more then only one upgrade but probably not all; try the newest first and if it needs another one try exactly the one it asks for and so on until you're done). That's the only way to go.
The trial version cannot be activated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2013 02:16

skyspot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2013 10:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I need a clean PowerDVD 12 Ultra kit too.
Deni [Avatar]
[Post New]
There is a difference between offering an existing customer a discount for an upgrade, and selling a crippled version of software. I paid a lower price, because I started with 6, upgraded to 8, upgraded to 10, then upgraded to 12.

Windows 8 will NOT let you install software that is incompatible with it, so there is no way to go back, and install 4 previous versions of the software. just to get to the one that DOES work.

The "full" version costs more money because it's for customers who have never used the product before, bot for the loyal customer who have been shelling out their money for years.,
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
@Deni,
if you encounter issues to install previous version of PowerDVD on W8, please contact the technical support and describe your issue (old version refuse to install on W8 )

Support team is able to provide you a solution

br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2013 11:18

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Deni [Avatar]
[Post New]
Michael, that was the FIRST thing that I did. All they have done is tell me to install the OLD software which I CANNOT do, and then reinstall the upgrade version of 12 Ultra.

They are not assisting me with providing a version that I can install directly and activate with my purchased code.

Seriously, Cyberlink should be aware of when Windows makes such changes to their OS. If you are going to advertise that your product is compatible with the OS, it should be as easy as possible for the end user to install your software.

Additionally, attempting to tell me that I need to go back to V. 6, and install 4 different upgrade versions to get to the current version is patently ridiculous. Purchasing an "upgrade" is a way of enticing your existing consumers to give you more money to get your latest versions. NOT getting crippled versions that are unusable without installing old, useless and incompatible software. Paying for an upgrade doesn't mean that your consumers deserve "less" from you than a new consumer. We deserve MORE, as we have been loyal and given you money time and time again for your products.

There is no reason at all that you need to "require" the previous version to physically be installed. Do like other companies, and have a place in the installer to enter your previous activation code as "proof" that you owned the previous edition. This is not complicated and accomplishes the same task without making your consumers jump through so many hoops just to get software they have paid for!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2013 13:41

M8R [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 31, 2010 18:41 Messages: 89 Offline
[Post New]
What's yout actual problem now? You just want a full version you havn't paid for, right?
Or is this a complaint about their upgrade policy? Many people asked for a change but for now it is like it is and it would be unfair against other customers giving you a full version for less money while all the other upgraders don't.
First you wrote about win7 and that the support hasn't answered yet. Now it's win8 and seemingly they told you what i did.
So what help do you actually need now?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2013 02:09

Deni [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: What's yout actual problem now? You just want a full version you havn't paid for, right?
Or is this a complaint about their upgrade policy? Many people asked for a change but for now it is like it is and it would be unfair against other customers giving you a full version for less money while all the other upgraders don't.
First you wrote about win7 and that the support hasn't answered yet. Now it's win8 and seemingly they told you what i did.

I paid for a working version of the software. An upgrade does NOT mean crippled software, half of the software, or anything less than a full working version. I've actually paid for 3 versions of PowerDVD. Their "upgrade" price is the same as the "sale" prices all over the internet for something they apparently think is some how magically different because I've actually given them MORE money than the person just buying their software. An upgrade version is no different than a "full" version, it's discounted because I've bought their software before.

You should have caught on here that there is NO difference between the functions of the software whether you follow an upgrade path or are a new customer, the problem is the INSTALLER, which requires an authentication I cannot provide any more. I'm not sure what delusion they're under in thinking that buying an upgrade somehow entitles you to less software than starting over every time. I DO understand that they have a need to protect themselves from piracy and people who want to steal from them - I'm very much against that. But doing so at the expense of their customers is WRONG.

Seriously - Microsoft sells you upgrade versions that work just fine to give you the whole shooting match with your registration code in the event of a system crash or restore. So does Acronis, TechSmith, Intuit - you know, those people who make and sell billions of copies of their software and actually have people available to assist their customers? I had no difficulty at all downloading their latest versions from their websites, and using the activation codes I paid for to make the software actually work. It's really not too much to ask.

And, just in case you missed it the first 3 times I said it, my system started on Win7 and is upgrading to Win8, which erases your previous operating system in the process, taking away all of your previous software with it. I didn't wait around for Cyberlink to catch up to wait to finish upgrading. I'd never get done if I waited around for them, so yep, I'm up to Win8 now.

The fact that they have got you convinced that you are somehow entitled to "less" as a loyal customer just makes me sad, for you and anyone that you want to try to convince that that is they way a company should treat a customer who buys multiple versions of their products.

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
@Deni

please provide me your ticket number

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Deni [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS001224545
[Post New]
Hi,
I don't see any issue or problem in our CS response.
CS responded as expected and provided you a working solution.

PowerDVD 9/10/11/ can be installed and activated on Windows 8 so you can install your upgrade to PowerDVD 12.

If you face issues while installation you need to provide the error message (maybe a snapshot) to our support so they can follow up.

greetings
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2013 11:23

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
KaptCrunch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 06, 2009 17:10 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: What's yout actual problem now? You just want a full version you havn't paid for, right?

I paid for a working version of the software. An upgrade does NOT mean crippled software, half of the software, or anything less than a full working version. I've actually paid for 3 versions of PowerDVD. Their "upgrade" price is the same as the "sale" prices all over the internet for something they apparently think is some how magically different because I've actually given them MORE money than the person just buying their software. An upgrade version is no different than a "full" version, it's discounted because I've bought their software before.

You should have caught on here that there is NO difference between the functions of the software whether you follow an upgrade path or are a new customer, the problem is the INSTALLER, which requires an authentication I cannot provide any more. I'm not sure what delusion they're under in thinking that buying an upgrade somehow entitles you to less software than starting over every time. I DO understand that they have a need to protect themselves from piracy and people who want to steal from them - I'm very much against that. But doing so at the expense of their customers is WRONG.

Seriously - Microsoft sells you upgrade versions that work just fine to give you the whole shooting match with your registration code in the event of a system crash or restore. So does Acronis, TechSmith, Intuit - you know, those people who make and sell billions of copies of their software and actually have people available to assist their customers? I had no difficulty at all downloading their latest versions from their websites, and using the activation codes I paid for to make the software actually work. It's really not too much to ask.

And, just in case you missed it the first 3 times I said it, my system started on Win7 and is upgrading to Win8, which erases your previous operating system in the process, taking away all of your previous software with it. I didn't wait around for Cyberlink to catch up to wait to finish upgrading. I'd never get done if I waited around for them, so yep, I'm up to Win8 now.

The fact that they have got you convinced that you are somehow entitled to "less" as a loyal customer just makes me sad, for you and anyone that you want to try to convince that that is they way a company should treat a customer who buys multiple versions of their products.

seems same here with hard disc purchased paid for a full version ultra

on purchased disc was only 2 channel software not the ultra 7.1 what I paid for ?