Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Constant rendering while trying to edit problem with nVidia drivers
Chesney Digital Studio
Newbie Location: Grosse Pointe Park, MI Joined: Jul 09, 2011 14:51 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Carl thanks for the advice! I just upgraded to version 11 and will download that patch.

Mike, I'm just a wannabe 16mm filmmaker doing intermitant video projects on the side. Rarely do I even get paid for my work (they're usually favors). The only reason I squandered & built a separate editing computer in the first place was because Pinnacle was so slow and demanding of resources that I was desperate to maximize my systems performance & prevent all unwanted system processes from running in the background such as spyware, malware and I especially didn't want any anti-virus software sucking up resources. So I physically disconnected my system from the net and it actually helped...unlike my other computer which had to be regularily wiped and re-installed with Windows due to becoming slower and slower over time. The studio computer just worked the same as it always did.

But that didn't change the unbearably slow and horrible operation of the program. Avid promised a product that did all this stuff and it didn't- so I took my business elsewhere, and bought Power Director 9 which worked great in comparison. That's the benefit of competition- don't like what Cyberlink is doing? Why not just take your business elsewhere? It seems you would rather use the levers of government to control with an iron fist every aspect of business based soley on your selfish consumer needs without realizing that it is that same system that empowers major corporations to monopolize thier power and eliminate all competition leaving you with no choice or recourse whatsoever.

Personally I like choice, and the freedom to choose for myself rather than by arbitrary foce of government because, as spoken by Ben Franklin, Anyone who will trade freedom for security deserves neither. **View profile for system specifics
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I think the major corporations already use the levers of power to monopolise their position. It's often said the US has the best government money can buy.

I do understand the advantages of dedicating a system to the task of video editing. I just don't think it's practical for most people.

As for choice, well as I said I had an excellent product but was forced to look elsewhere. In the budget range occupied by Powerdirector there isn't a lot of choice and for functionality I found Powerdirector the best of a mediocre bunch. I just think it's a pity that Cyberlink have a reasonable product but seem to be ignoring the fact that they're gaining a poor reputation for support.

I don't think consumer protection stifles competition. It's there to prevent ordinary, honest people being taken for a ride by unscrupulous operators. Without it by the time the bad boys have been exposed a lot of innocent people can have lost out. Capitalism should work by the best companies putting the bad ones out of business but without a statutory framework it won't work like that - it would just be the law of the jungle. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Chesney - maybe you have more dollars than sense.

Buggered if I can afford 2 computers. And I want to do more than just video editing on this one.

I'm glad that in Australia we have consumer protection laws. Else we'd have companies selling with marketing hype and no substance. I think you'll find that there actually is similar laws in the US. And you'd find court cases every day.

There was a time when US companies believed more in service than making a quick buck. There was pride in product. People were happy to work for these companies. Now everything is outsourced. Maybe Cyberlink gets PowerDirector made in Mexico. Maybe it's too hard to follow up on problems because of communication difficulties with the designers. It's all too hard to provide the service and product back-up that they used to provide.

I'm not disputing that the software was great before the clash with the NVidia driver updates. I did my homework before buying it. But I should've checked the back-up side more carefully.
It's a bit like buying a Rolls Royce made in China and paying Chev prices I suppose. Maybe I've just bought Chinese (or Mexican) crap rather than something with real after sales service. I feel ripped off.

i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
[Post New]
Maybe now I should be looking down the track to find a replacement for PowerDirector.

Any ideas?

Maybe VideoPad. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
[Post New]
Well, seeing how Cyberlink won't support PD9 any further - rendering it only partially useable - I think they have to come to the party and offer free upgrades to PD11. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector versions 10 and 11 both have a Patch to fix the Nvidia 'rendering' problem.
It is just PD9 is not supported anymore.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

If you have PD 9 you can downgrade your Nvidia video driver to 301.42 and you will not have the 'rendering' problem.
There have also been suggestions that if you turn off the Open CL, you can work without the constant rendering.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
So nothing new from Cyberlink - won't fix their software so it works properly, asking you to degrade your PC performance so their software works, won't provide any help. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
reddace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2011 22:53 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Only makes you wonder that if you did indeed upgrade to PD-10 or 11, if then again the same thing will occur with those versions? Seems kind of dismal in my humble opinion. I use to rave about Power-director. However, not so sure now!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
We are users of Powerdirector, I do not know anything about how well other manufacturers of Video Editing Software handle older software.

Cyberlink may be short on their time frame to when the updates stop, but other software does lose support after a time.

I have software that I still use that there is no support for anymore. Some software is constantly being updated with new versions with the older version not supported.

Luckily, a lot of that software is open source and free software.

It is the users choice to buy are not buy software. Nobody is forcing you to use software that you do not like.

We users that have bought the newer version of Powerdirector (PD 11) are very happy we did. Cyberlink make huge changes in Powerdirector in PD 11, PD 11 is the first to support 4K Video files. That is the resolution of 4K not 4K file size.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Yep - I think most people agree that PowerDirector is a beaut package - when it works properly.

But nowhere does Cyberlink point out that they'll only support it for 2 years. Most people assume a much longer support time as is normal ie 5 years or more.

It is only after you have bought PowerDirector and are seeking support, that you can find that there is no longer support for it. Now what a lot of readers of this thread are wondering is if they buy PD11 will there also shortly come a time where Cyberlink will no longer support the product. Cyberlink, eg Carl and others, has had plenty of time to respond on behalf of Cyberlink as to exactly what the "warranty" or support time frame is but so far they are keeping quiet. I know I'm hesitant in upgrading til I get something definite from Cyberlink. I think other readers would be hesitant too.

Higher quality products usually have longer warranty periods. If Cyberlink want people to have the impression that PowerDirector is a high quality package, then they need to advertise a long warranty and support time frame. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
rattlinjack [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Joined: May 18, 2011 06:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
OK so what about the latest version 314.22?
Anyone tried it yet? I've downloaded, but not installed!
Details:
Version 314.22 - WHQL
Release Date Mon Mar 25, 2013
Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/59641/nvidiaupdate

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2013 22:24

[Post New]
I haven't tried 314.22. I did try 314.07 without success. Let me know how 314.22 goes.

I also contacted nVidia - they said Cyberlink needs to fix PowerDirector. i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
Phil g0wsp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2011 03:43 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I7baby - I agree 1 - I have been pondering over this for weeks now and both Carl & Daffyd do a sterling job speaking on behalf of Cyberlink - I have rolled back my drivers but this defeats the object on 90% of my other software - so we have an impass !. Unfortunately "someone at cyberlink" just doesn't get the point ( or just doesn't care).
RESULT - very disappointed & I give up !.
On a positive note , software support for Serrif Movie plus seem excellent at our school - I was moving to go with Cyberlink for school and home ( getting kids using it ) but am just so disillusioned by the negative customer support.

C`mon cyberlink - turn this impass around - at least value your faithful customers with a decent upgrade package and lets get makin` movies !
rattlinjack [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Joined: May 18, 2011 06:40 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I haven't tried 314.22. I did try 314.07 without success. Let me know how 314.22 goes.

I also contacted nVidia - they said Cyberlink needs to fix PowerDirector.

Hmm, dont think I'll even bother trying, at this stage..
Got about 10 weddings to edit, dont want any distractions, or possible hold ups...
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 19:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I too am a little diappointed with this whole situation, having to diable updateing on the video drivers runs against the grain of our ever "improving" technology, but it's the only way I can make it usable.

The Sale of goods act in the UK is a little different but protects the consumer, something worth considering?

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738375/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf
[Post New]
Same in Australia - the warranty on a product is actually what is reasonable, rather than what is dictated by the provider.

As stated in this thread, Microsoft support their Operating System software for 5 or more years. But what Cyberlink is telling us is that they don't feel any obligation to support their product past when its superseded.

The US have similar consumer protection laws to those in the UK and Australia. In the US, Cyberlink's postion won't stand up in court. But you have to take them to court to find out for sure.

Now Cyberlink's position also makes you wonder whether you should ever buy their product. You won't know when a new version is due for release. But you know they then won't support what you just bought.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 14. 2013 08:51

i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9
Phil g0wsp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I also am still smarting from this situation - especially when I load cyberlink PD9 and am reminded by them to - "ENSURE LATEST DRIVERS ARE USED " that really gets my back up ! because as we know - it just don't work !.

As I have previously stated - A substantial reduction for an upgrade would have been all it takes to regain confidence and support for cyberlink - I am currently running PD11 trial, but as a matter of principle totally refuse to pay full " wack" or even be tempted by the generic offers that are being offered persae - to everyone !.
PLEASE PLEASE Cyberlink - do not continue to bite the hand that feeds you ! .
Perhaps I should appeal to - Alice H. Chang, Chief Executive Officer ?.
Carl312
[Post New]
New Releases of Powerdirector are late September or early October.

If you roll back your Nvidia driver software to 301.42 you can stop the Rendering on the timeline.

Cyberlink issued a Patch for Powerdirector 10 and Powerdirector 11 that allows using the latest Nvidia software. They did not Patch Powerdirector 9 and earlier.

Phil g0wsp [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry Carl we seem to be going round in circles, when I roll back the drivers I don't get the nVidea upgrade benefits on my other graphics software !!! -
Don't forget, Cyberlink PD9 states - "ALWAYS ENSURE LATEST DRIVERS ARE USED"

We are then back full circle to the need for a :- "statement of intent" for how long we can expect software support for.

Would you not acknowledge that this is a reasonable request - if only as a transparent marketing ploy .
At least we would all then know what to expect !.
many thanks
Phil
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I hesitated to jump in here as I've made my position clear in previous posts. Carl, you've demonstrated that you are a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and helpful contributor to this forum. I don't know whether you are a Cyberlink employee but I really think you should stop trying to defend the indefensible. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I hesitated to jump in here as I've made my position clear in previous posts. Carl, you've demonstrated that you are a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and helpful contributor to this forum. I don't know whether you are a Cyberlink employee but I really think you should stop trying to defend the indefensible.

You are correct, you can not convince someone that does not want to be convinced.

Cyberlink Employee=No.

I am a volunteer on the forum like everybody else.

I do see his point, he has other software on his computer that needs the updated Nvidia drivers.
He does not want to do what it would take to solve his problem with Powerdirector, upgrade to Powerdirector 11.

I have both Powerdirector 9 and Powerdirector 11 on this computer, I do not have the 'Rendering' problem in PD 9 because my video card is a ATI/AMD 5770. My Video Driver is not the latest one, that is because I have no problems with my current AMD driver.