Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
copyright warning coming up
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
WHY still keep it into this software??

Because it does work on some systems and with some VHS Tapes and Machines.

It works on my computer with my Machine and my Video tapes.

Granted, I have taken very good care of my Video Tapes. Even so, I find some tapes that don't work in PD capture.

I have other methods of transferring Video Tape to a DVD.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Scooter714 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2012 12:04 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
You don't get it. I transfer for clients. Not myself. I only transfer home movies from VHS. Not copyrighted material. It shouldn't matter about tape quality. It is detecting falsely. That is a defect in the software. Most call that a bug. Why do you keep insisting that a use other software to capture? I paid for this to do the job, and it works sometimes. It should work most times, and it probably would, if they would remove the stupid copyright detection that does not work...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Well, Scooter, Salmon, and Beagle,
there is not a darn thing we can do here regarding your understandable annoyance. If you like PD for it's other functions, you can get a ton of help here. We are volunteers/members and get nothing for this, so defending the software is not really what we do here. We defend NLE "reality".
It's up to you, then, this is a great forum, but you don't NEED to be here if all you get is aggravated. Good luck folks.
As for Carl, he "gets it" just fine, do you? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Scooter714 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You don't get it either. I'm looking for support to help fix the problem. Not a bunch of free useless help defending each other. Oh well... No wonder the software has inferior features. The developers have people like you backing them up no matter what. To be honest, I'm more annoyed from this than the bug.

Happy New Year!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I do not blindly support PowerDirector, if you bothered to take the time you'd see I've been launching missiles at CL since version 5. Also, I do not act nasty to strangers who try to assist or enlighten, something you seem to rather excel at. You have issues beyond the scope of this forum, I hope you work them out in the new year. I'll not trouble you further.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2012 19:40

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You don't get it either. I'm looking for support to help fix the problem.
Happy New Year!

There is nothing wrong with using other tools to get a job done.

There is a ton of other software that will capture Video Tape and create a Digital File.

All such software relies on a Analog to Digital converter. A USB device, PCI card, PCIe card or even a Firewire device. I know of a couple of Firewire devices.

There is even Free software that will capture Video Tape and write a Digital file.

You are complaining about a module in a very good video editor that does not function the way you think it should.

Have you heard of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act? This was passed in the US Congress in 1996. Other countries have their version of the same act.
That act is why so much copyright protection is built into Video Software, including Powerdirector.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Scooter714 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Goodness gracious! I have no problem with preventing copyrighted material from being copied. In fact, I'm all for it. I am very aware of other ways of capturing video. In fact, that is how I am doing it. That being said. It is making me transfer to other computers also dedicated to capturing and editing video. Thus, taking up time and costing me money. I have three computers set up for capturing and editing video, and authoring to DVD. Two are Macs and one is PC. Guess which one I'm having trouble with. Getting it now? I'm not being a bit mean or rude about anything. I'm stating facts, you are making excuses for something that should work as advertised, but does not! If the copy right protection does not work, remove it. There is no copyright detection on the other software I purchased and use on my macs...
davos [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Sep 27, 2011 03:09 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scooter
I also transfer loads of VHS/Hi8/mini DV/betamax tapes to DVD/Bluray.

I find transfer is the simplest bit of the process and what works for me is to use the software that comes with the transfer hardware I've never thought of doing it any other way.
You mention you do a lot of this work with your other computers. What's your transfer hardware? Use its software.
You are transfering to hardrive no matter what software you use so whats the difference?

If I'd bought my transfer hardware from Cyberlink then I'd be joining you right now in your quest.

My recommendation for transfer hardware/software is Pinnacle its got great bit rate and resolution controls. :

Good luck
Davos
Scooter714 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Davis,

The hardware came with software with a much lower result in quality. It also came with a recommendation to purchase PowerDirector to use with the hardware. That's how I ended up with PowerDirector. You with me now?

Thanks
davos [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Sep 27, 2011 03:09 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
What hardware was it?
It recommended using another companies software? That doesnt sound good!
Re quality of transfer can you not choose the bit rate/resolution etc on the transfer software?
Whats the hardware/software set up on your Macs?

I do a lot of this and love PD10 for its fast rendering.
Current burning time for DVD of 2 hours at 4,200 bit rate 720x576 resolution(from Pinnacle transfer) is 6.5 minutes
Back in the day this used to take me 2 hours.

I've spent loads of time looking into this area and believe I have the ideal set up
Davos

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2013 09:30

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
As has already been stated it is the interference generated during the poor recording quality or the spaces (between recordings) which is triggering the copyright notification for home recorded VHS tapes. Video noise - the speckled grey noise, has to be worked around to achieve a recording.

It is a problem I to will have to face - I have a box of VHS tapes to look over following a loss in the family. I am tempted to install PDR6 as that's the one, I believe, didn't have the issue and only after that were CyberLink obliged to put the copyright "function" into later PDR's.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2013 14:32

Scooter714 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Finally a good response! I'm sure there is a way to fix this where the software can distinguish between noise and a copyright single. Better yet, if it is not a mandatory feature, remove it until it can distinguish between the two. In the meantime I will do the extra timely steps to get the job done.

Thanks
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
If you have a digital camcorder that has the pass through feature, you can set that up. Connect the VHS AV ports to the camcorder to a firewire port on your computer. Set the digital camcorder to record and then pause it. Open the program; it should see the camcorder. Start capturing and then take the VHS off pause.

Note: I have not done this but I have read about it. Since the computer never sees a stop of the input, it should continue recording. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 15:23 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Guys, I just bought Power Director 10 from Tiger Direct and experienced the same stupid Copy Right problem with their software. Was about to return it to the shop.

But, I found a software Golden Videos - capture VHS to DVS. It is free - and it works like a charm with the Kworld video capture device that came in the box of the Power Director.

Just download this:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/kb/1112.html

Now am on my way to transferring all my old vhs to files.

btw. I work with software developers constantly and Cyber Link must fix this issue. It is a P1 Issue, no excuse, so Mr. Scooter am with you and disagree with all other interpretation and escape route for them.

Chris
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Cris:

This is very close to spam since you posted it 4 times (at the last count). You could not have bought PD 10 from Tiger Direct; it is obsolete and they do not have it for sale any more. Please post a link to Tiger Direct where you bought PD 10.

As you know spam is not tolerated even if you try to hide it. You or someone like you has treied to link to that site in the past. Don't do it. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
REALLY?

Dude, are you a paid troll? I bought it for less than $30 in a local Tiger Direct store just last week. They have dozens of them on their shelf. Can you bet $100, I'd send you a copy of my receipt as a proof of my purchase?

If you don't have that money, then call Tiger Direct store at Hoffman Estates, IL. Here is the number: (866) 310-8020. Ask for Video Editing VHS to DVD software by Kworld, and specifically ask the sales guy, if it comes bundled with Cyberlink Power Director 10 and Media Express 6.5, written All over the back of the box?

Once you do it, then come back to this forum and admit to ALL that you were wrong and take down your ignorant comment. Next time, do some basic home work, before accusing others. DON'T DO IT, OK kid?

I was only trying to help other frustrated customers who are stuck with Cyberlink PD10 and its stupid Copy Right bug message, not expecting you to stick your nose.
stevek
[Post New]
No, not a paid troll; I wish I were.

I guess I never thought to ask if you bought it on line or via a brick and mortar store. Tiger Direct store.

My comment about the multiple posts and the link to that software stands.

Now tel us if you ever had the issue yourself before buying the other software. By the way, the link ios to a Kb article that is very basic installation process. Is that what you were trying to post?

If it means a lot to you, I apologize.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2014 07:29

Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I got irritated, I can take it a notch down, now that you see where you jumped to a wrong conclusion.

I was not spamming, I found four threads on the same topic in google search on the issue and I posted to all, if one misses by just reading one thread.

About your question: I faced the issue with my own old VHS tapes yesterday morning, and spent hours trying to search a solution on how to fix it.

About the link, am telling you again that Golden Video is the one currently working for me. I did not buy it, freely downloaded and working. I got a 16 year old clip done yesterday for my son's bday. Here, I used this link http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/ and when I clicked download (on the right side with two kids standing) I got a file gvsetup that I installed.

Now main point, all this will not be there, if only Cyberlink fixes the copy right issue so customers like me don't have to go around wasting our time.
stevek
[Post New]
Unfortunately, there are at least 2 device/software combination that do this so it is not only Cyberlink.

Did you try to capture using the device and Windows Movie Maker? Some people have had good luck with that. .
Chris [Avatar]
[Post New]
Steve,

Windows Movie Maker did not recognize/find my camcorder device. I downloaded and tried that for some time, it looks into drives and webcam, but not the camcorder. I moved on as it was taking me nowhere.

There are tons of software to edit or make dvd, but the main problem customer face is first capturing the old VHS video into the computer and that is where Cyberlink has this copyright noise/timelag bug issue while other softwares are doing fine. Why can't Cyberlink fix it, what is their problem?
stevek
[Post New]
Cris, You asked " Why can't Cyberlink fix it, what is their problem? "

You have to ask them.

As with current copy protection, the VHS copy protection designed by Macrovision has several flavors so iot is not as simple as it looks. .