Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD changes screen brightness
[Post New]
Hi guys,

Every time PowerDVD start playing a video, the LCD screen brightness is being modified to 70%.

How can this be avoided? I looked in the setting but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
PowerDVD does not change settings in your Display - maybe the VGA driver takes control and adjusts it.

Please check your driver settings - many of them have auto settings they apply for MulitMedia Playback

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply!

I will look into it and post anything I find.

Cheers.
alvincht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 20, 2012 11:52 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Check the monitor settings too. Sometimes it's set to automatic.
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies.

I've already checked video settings but didn't find anything related to video color profile.

Is a notebook, so it doesn't have it's own brightness settings.

Cheers.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
no clue about your symptoms - can you post a snapshot and more platform info:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21448.page

There is a function called TrueTheater-Lighting which adds more vivid color to your video - maybe you have enabled it? (can be found in the TT menu - using the "eye" symbol)

br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply! I've already double-checked TrueTheater-Lighting and is disabled. Color profile is "Original", but AFAIK that affects the color, not the screen brightness?

All the system information I can think of:
PowerDVD 12.0.11962.2105
Windows 8 x64
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge S430 i5
Intel HD 4000
Using built-in laptop display
No TrueTheater Effects (Enable hardware decoding acceleration if availabe, then Enable software decoding without TrueTheater Effects)
Seems to happen with any kind of video file (tried MP4, MPEG, MKV, AVI, MOV, VOB)
Doesn't happen with any other video player I tried so far (Windows Media Player, MPC, W8 Photos, Photo Gallery, Picasa, VLC)

Cheers.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DirectX diagnostics
 Filesize
76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
746 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2012 10:33

[Post New]
Hi,
please check the mobile power settings in the "settings"

br

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Is already set to "Maximum performance" and "Do not adjust LCD brightness".

BTW:
- It happens both plugged in and working with battery.
- It always set the brightness to 70%. No matter if the previous setting is lower or higher.
Man Khan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I have similar issue with TMT5 all builds that as soon as I play any BD, the picture gets too bright but I contacted their support and discussed on forum but perhaps 2 or 3 people have this issue on their Windows 7 ultimate but TMT could not help me out of this brightness issue and I believe that you are facing same issue with PDVD12. It seems that it is some Windows 7 issue which happens with a few people so v.difficult to isolate. May be you must do a clean installation of windows and install PDVD12 and then see your results or you are having an AVR between your HTPC and TV/projector. Just remove AVR and connect directly and see the results.
[Post New]
Suggest to check the HD4000 settings - there are plenty of settings activated by default taking control about color correction / brightness automatically

Werde Facebook Fan
Man Khan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
This is not PDVD12 fault, it is equipment fault as I understood from my experience. Check your AVR settings if you use one between HTPC and TV/Monitor/projector
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies...

Quote: Suggest to check the HD4000 settings - there are plenty of settings activated by default taking control about color correction / brightness automaticallyMichael

Already checked. (is easier to check than to post )
The strange thing is that only happens with PowerDVD.

Quote: This is not PDVD12 fault, it is equipment fault as I understood from my experience. Check your AVR settings if you use one between HTPC and TV/Monitor/projector

Yeah, that was my first impression too. But I didn't find anything strange, and the issue doesn't happen with any other video player.
It's a notebook and I'm using the built-in display.

Cheers.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi guys,

Every time PowerDVD start playing a video, the LCD screen brightness is being modified to 70%.

How can this be avoided? I looked in the setting but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

I have your fix for this problem. As in yes this is a huge problem! This overly brightness happens when you let powerdvd shut off windows aero. Having that box checked within the options /bluray settings/ advanced enabled makes everything on screen overly brightened. It's not your tv or components. Power DVD glitches and creates this problem. I don't have this box checked in the options because my computer can handle this with out it being on.

This problem also occurs within the media center plug in. There are no options to check or uncheck it.

I have sent this problem to customer support long ago and they neglected or could find a problem. As of right now I can still reproduce the problem if I want to. It makes everything's look terrible. Basically my calibrated tv look like its worth 300 dollars.

So uncheck the box and it should be fixed.

[Post New]
Quote: I have your fix for this problem. As in yes this is a huge problem! This overly brightness happens when you let powerdvd shut off windows aero. Having that box checked within the options /bluray settings/ advanced enabled makes everything on screen overly brightened. It's not your tv or components. Power DVD glitches and creates this problem. I don't have this box checked in the options because my computer can handle this with out it being on.

This problem also occurs within the media center plug in. There are no options to check or uncheck it.

I have sent this problem to customer support long ago and they neglected or could find a problem. As of right now I can still reproduce the problem if I want to. It makes everything's look terrible. Basically my calibrated tv look like its worth 300 dollars.

So uncheck the box and it should be fixed.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. But... I don't have such setting. I double checked all the options inside PowerDVD but didn't find anything regarding Aero.

Cheers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2012 20:23

jkauff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2012 10:57 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
The setting is there, but it's pretty well hidden. On the Blu-ray Disc options page there's an Advanced button. Click that and on the page that opens up you'll see four tabs. One is labeled "Aero" and that's where the checkbox is.
[Post New]
Believe, I double checked the option and still didn't find it. That doesn't mean anything of course and I might be blind.
[Thumb - Fullscreen capture 20-Oct-12 82214 PM.jpg]
 Filename
Fullscreen capture 20-Oct-12 82214 PM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
272 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
231 time(s)
[Thumb - Fullscreen capture 20-Oct-12 82216 PM.jpg]
 Filename
Fullscreen capture 20-Oct-12 82216 PM.jpg