Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview Window Dark or Dim
HeFed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2012 19:59 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew10, No word back from CyberLink tech support so no resolution yet. What you describe is essentially the same thing I posted via the Magic Lantern forum. I'm hoping for some kind of patch because editing low-light footage is a huge pain in the ass. But more importantly, what we're seeing in the preview window is not indicative of the final rendered product in many cases.
andrew10 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 15, 2009 12:29 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
There is a fix, not ideal as the quality is reduced and you might not use LIGHTROOM? Basically the video files import into LR4 and look correct! weird and then you output them as mp4, but they are only 22mbit! but the imported files in pd now look correct at least!
HeFed [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good suggestion as a workaround...but I expect a bit more from the folks at CyberLink. Hopefully they will come through!
andrew10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not entirely convinced they can sort this any time soon or are even interested. They asked me with the ticket to demonstrate the problem, basically all they need to do is upload your files and see for themselves, it ain't hard!
HeFed [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I had to guess (and that's all I can do from this position), I'd say it boils down to a proper codec. Some codecs cost money, in some cases a lot of money, and it just could be that PD isn't a "professional" enough package to warrant licensing of proper codecs. That's all speculation on my part, based on other stuff I've read on the intertubes. Time will tell, but I'm trying to keep positive
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I am just piping in here with my experience with graphics color, Graphic cards and monitors. Some monitors display differently and different angle of viewing, the graphic card may need to be calibrated, and if you've used computer geek with those calibration gadgets (to me those things are used by inexperienced geek people in box stores) you may ha his/her idea of color. The graphic cards also have a color calibration module that you yourself can adjust to your preferences.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
HeFed [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim, Thanks for your feedback. However, in this case, we are talking about different levels of brightness/contrast on the same video clip on the same monitor, on the same graphic card. You can download my clip and play around with it in PD11. You'll see a difference between the preview window and the trim window, and that's all we're talking about here. Cyberlink has already acknowledged the issue and we're just waiting for a fix.
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Mr. HEFED,
Thanks a million for bringing this PD display problem to the forum. I have been searching off an on for a couple of YEARS to find out exactly what method Power Director uses to display videos in imbedded preview mode. Like you, I too was concerned because my raw videos were always darker in imbedded-preview than they were when the viewer was detached, or when they were viewed in Windows Media Player, VLC, etc..

Even though I'm pretty sure that it's some kind of Cyberlink proprietary Rendering Codec issue, I couldn't find any way to locate-isolate and disable this mysterious varmit. Eventually I just learned to not adjust the brightness controls as dramatically and the resultant DVD turned out OK. BTW... I'm still running PD9, but come to this forum to learn if PD11 is better. If this "dimmer preview window" issue gets fixed, it will be (for my modest needs) the #1 best reason for an upgrade to PD11.

Thanks again for having the saavy and initiative to bring this issue to the forum experts, Mr. Hefed.

-Allen in Chicagoland
andrew10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem is easy and they will know what it is and its basically dslr's and compact system cameras are using mov container but recording levels at 16-235, camcorders and other gear seem to be using full 0-255. So when its inserted into the timeline the 16-235 are mapped to PD's expected 0-255, bang the colours go whack. I have tried it on win7 32 and 64 on different laptops, workstations and its exactly the same, it repeats. Download HeFed examples and play them in windows media player, yuk, now use media player classic or vlc and use the 16-235 render settings and everything is good. So to sum up for Cyberlink expert programmers, apply 16-235 to the timeline and make it user selectable? easy. When can we expect a fix?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The problem is easy and they will know what it is and its basically dslr's and compact system cameras are using mov container but recording levels at 16-235, camcorders and other gear seem to be using full 0-255. So when its inserted into the timeline the 16-235 are mapped to PD's expected 0-255, bang the colours go whack. I have tried it on win7 32 and 64 on different laptops, workstations and its exactly the same, it repeats. Download HeFed examples and play them in windows media player, yuk, now use media player classic or vlc and use the 16-235 render settings and everything is good. So to sum up for Cyberlink expert programmers, apply 16-235 to the timeline and make it user selectable? easy. When can we expect a fix?

Great reporting.

Unfortunately CL Tech Support do not monitor this forum.

If you want a Tech Support response please send your suggestion direct to Cyberlink Tech Support.

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
You might want to try this registry hack that instructs PowerDirector to use the VMR9 video renderer instead of the VMR7 video renderer.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14828.page#71971

Even after I got the colors working correctly, I noticed that if the video has pure black in it (0,0,0), you can not brighten those pixels, they remains black (0,0,0). Other video editors will raise the level if you use the brighten or exposure controls. In PowerDirector, instead of brightening correctly, PD creates a huge contrast.

And as others have mentioned, you may need set your desktop display settings in the NVIDIA or AMD control panel so that the full dynamic range of 0-255 is selected instead of mapping the full range to 16-235. You won't have to do that if the video playback device displays the full dynamic range already. Otherwise you have to use the NVIDIA or AMD display settings.

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.