Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Opens then Closes
topgazza [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2012 19:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The program opens and just as it opens the menu on he left it shuts down with no error message. I am running Win7 Home Edition 64bit. Any help appreciated as it runs ok on my other PC with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit but really there shouldn't be any difference.....
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please check out the must-have-read thread of this forum, thanks

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21448.page

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
topgazza [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow...impressive list of questions for what appears to be a well known issue with Win 7...but I'll do my best....

PowerDVD full Version - Yes that came with laptop
PowerDVD Trial Verison? - Tried this as well
PowerDVD SR Number (when click on "CyberLink in left top - SR NUMBER IS NOT THE CD-KEY!!) - Program doesn't stay open long enough
PowerDVD TR Number (if shown) - As previous question
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version) - Win 7 Home 64bit
Do you use administrator or restricted user account? - admin
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? - bundled but have tried retail
Used VGA - Intel HD Graphics 4000
Used VGA driver version - 8.15.10.2618
Used Audio device - Realtek HD Audio
Used Audio device driver version - 6.00.0001.6608
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices) - ?
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version) - Matshita UJ8A7AS - 6.1.7601.17514
Used Display(s) - Samsung HD 22 Synchmaster
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI) - HDMI
Whih Display refresh rate do you use while Playback (24/25/50/60/120/...) - 60
Are you using single or dual monitor environment - Single

What kind of Antivirus SW are you using - MS Security Essentials
Which Internet Browser Software is installed - Firefox
Do you use virtual ODD (e.g Daemon Tools) - No
Did you try with AERO on/off (especially on low end VGA) - Yes

When I tried to start PowerDVD the opening graphic appears and the menu expands on the left and then the program shuts down. This all takes about 3 seconds. Does the same with a downloaded trial version as with the version that came with the laptop. I would point out that when this happens NO application error log is generated. All very odd as the trial version works fine on my main PC with Win 7 64bit.

Cheers
Gary
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
491 time(s)
topgazza [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bit of an observation....

If I select PowerDVD as laptop is still finalising bits and pieces after boot up the start page for the sftware doesn't close down. But as soon as the laptop has done all its business...it shuts down then. After that its that instant open/close routine. Also if I insert a DVD Power|DVD open to play it but then still shuts down instantly.

VLC and Windows media Player open and play DVDs quite happily...so is it possibly a program /driver clash for PowerDVD ?

I don't want to change a setting on my laptop that might compromise something else when everything else works OK. After all thats the responsibility of Cyberlink to sort out..isn't it ? I can see lots of threads elsewhere with a similar problem and I am happy to experiment if anyone has any ideas. Im fairly certain it will work OK in safe mode which I will try