Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce only a segment of a video?
TG-Digital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2011 15:13 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't been able to figure out how I can produce just a small segment of a video project rather than the whole thing. For instance, in Sony Vegas it's done by choosing to "render loop region".

There's got to be an equivalent in PowerDirector, right? That way I can test that effects, etc. look correct after being produced without having to produce the whole video.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, not that easy in PowerDirector. You can only produce the entire time line. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
TG-Digital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Really? Well, I hope that's something they change in future updates. I do a lot of projects where I might want to render out in several formats to see which works best (file size differences, etc.). Doing that for a couple minute section is ideal. Having to render out the entire video? Not so convenient.

Thanks for passing along the info. That explains why I had no luck finding a solution.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
There are work arounds.

Save a over-all project file, before removing content.

You delete all but the segment you want to keep, and produce that in all the different formats you wish.

Re-load the over-all project.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2012 10:28

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I haven't been able to figure out how I can produce just a small segment of a video project rather than the whole thing. For instance, in Sony Vegas it's done by choosing to "render loop region".

If I understand correctly, you want to save only part of a long video, the PD is not simple as in Vegas, but it can be done, the way I guess but easy, select the segment, trawling for Track 2, or other track, disable the audio and video the track 1, (main video).
Move to Produce, Save video, the scene chosen in track 2
Returning to Edit, Undo and can return to normal project.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2012 22:33

TG-Digital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the tips. I had already done a workaround of saving the project under a new name and deleting all but the portion I wanted to. That worked ok but is definitely a "workaround" to something that should be easier to do.

Hopefully PD will make the more standard option of rendering out a segment, a la Vegas (which I belileve really got it right) in future editions. If they do I should be able to migrate over to PD for all the projects I work on.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Are you comparing Vegas; a $600 program with Power Director; a $90 program?

I have not seen many people ask about a "standard function" to render part of a project. I may have missed some with the 3 other video editing programs I use ! .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
TG-Digital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Steve:

All versions of Sony Vegas have the option to render out specific portions of a video, including the sub-$100 consumer versions. Also found in Camtasia (yes, more expensive than PD I realize). Those tend to be the editing products I use most often (besides PD) so it feels standard to me. It's a nice feature.

It's one of those things that once you have it as an option, you'd probably find it quite useful. Great way to quickly test that transistions & effects will look right in the final rendered version or test out which file type will produce the best quality / file size.

Just a request for PD to consider it for future versions. No need to get snippy about my post as if I'm somehow slamming PD.

Cheers...
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, it has been a long time since I looked at the Sony site. I didn't realize that Movie Studio was still considered Vegas. It is not listed that way on Sony's web site. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
TG-Digital [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, they may be moving away from the Vegas name on the consumer products to avoid confusion with the pro versions. I've got version 11 of their Platinum software (just allows extra tracks and a few other tools beyond their basic Movie Studio version). It was called "Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11" but they apparently now have a version 12 that has eliminated the Vegas reference. But all the consumer versions, as far as the core editor goes, are built on the Vegas platform that's been around since Sonic Foundry owned it.
[Post New]
I'm a newbie and obvioulsy have a lot less experience/knowledge than the senior members here. But what I have done is to highlight and copy the portion I want to produce into a new PD project. PD will ask if you want to bring in the media from the other project as well. That's what I do if there isn't much media extraneous to the portion I want to produce. The other option is to add the relevant media to the new project after the copy/paste.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I pick up last week the Sony Imagination Studio last week for $89.96. It has the 32 and 64 bit version. I got a Labor day upgrade price. Oh I will say it has the GPU for NVIDIA or AMD bit not the Intel Quick Syn.

I still like and use PD10. Lets see what PD 11 has in it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2012 16:49

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Bernard Dragon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2010 01:25 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
There are two orange thumbs beside the timeline indicator, you can drag that two orange thumbs to make range selection.
Then magically you are going to see a [Render Preview] button.
The produced video reslution can be decided by the Preview Quality you select.

Hope this can help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2012 03:34

Bernard is the name
progmars [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2017 09:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
In case if somebody stumbles upon this old question the same way as I did:
"Render preview" is not exactly what you need in this case. "Produce range" is what does the job cool.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2018 13:08

JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a video tutorial on how to do that. (Even if this is an old post)
ILS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2018 19:48 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is a video tutorial on how to do that. (Even if this is an old post)

I've been looking for this answer for days! Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2018 20:45