Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sapping Power?
shezza1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2012 15:43 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, I have noticed when memebers have problems the first (or very often the first) question asked is about the power of their PC. My question is how much power does all the touting for business pop-up's sap from our PC's
I beleive CyberLink should concentrate on getting PD10 right and stop all theses update this and update that pop up's.(I'm not talking about the updates that are suppose to make PD work better) I am talking about the constant scolling adverts.
Is it possible to stop all these pop ups, after all it must be sapping some power from my PC. Ive paid my money for the product that I want, and I want it to work correctley.Many questions are about quality in the time line, many answers are
dont set the preveiw to HD!! So why put this preference there in the first place. Come on Cyberlink do the right thing and get rid of all this unnessesary advertising I for one do NOT want to update to another version because in my opinion the next one is likley more glitches than the one I have now.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Shazza1
Advertising is a standard policy of all manufacturer.They have to run a business,make profit and generate employment.
Choose to ignore the ads if you don't like it.
PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Scrolling messages? I guess I am missing them. Could you post a screen shot of an example?

You sound like you are frustrated and are having issues; care to share the problem in a new thread?

Perhaps this will slow down the number of messages you get about updates:
[Thumb - update.jpg]
 Filename
update.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Update Options
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
233 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2012 09:32

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
BabIndia;
Quote: Advertising is a standard policy of all manufacturer.They have to run a business,make profit and generate employment.

Shenanigans and Baloney !! I own many commercial software products, and they do not pop-up ads inside my registered software or inside my windows interface. If they do, I look for replacements!!!

This is a long-standing complaint from the user community (here and elsewhere) about Powerdirector. Also, the pop-ups at the bottom right of the screen (telling me I will LOVE the new...), have INCREASED in recent months. Sadly, this may be a trend that seems to be catching on. My commercial HD TVshows in the USA are now FILLED with pop-up ads. But many..myself included... STILL feel this violates our expectations.

shezza1;
Quote: My question is how much power does all the touting for business pop-up's sap from our PC's

I would image that the bandwidth use is very small for these ads. The resentment they create, is large though. Many long-time users have complained about this and there are some ways to shut them off, at least the one INSIDE the PD interface. Search past posts if you are TOTALLY bothered and need some relief.

Quote: dont set the preveiw to HD!! So why put this preference there in the first place.

I have used HD Preview for years, and it works fine. Of course, depending on the number of transitions or effects or TYPE of VIDEO files I have in the timeline, I MAY experience some "stuttering" (video and audio out of sync temporarily), but I just take a slow breath and it gets itself back in order.

NOTE: I have a POWERFUL machine and card!! If a user is trying to run PD in a minimal or aging environment... then I expect there will be issues..sometimes MANY issues.

Over the years (PD3 through PD-10 and beyond), I have seen this "display in timeline stutter" issue come and go. It gets fixed, then image files get bigger, then codecs get rewritten by industry, then graphic card manufacturers update drivers to keep pace, then PD code is rewritten to accommodate/fix...then it starts all over again.

Case in point...SOME new Apple Ipad and iphone video files (MOV) fail in the timeline. Is this an Apple issue? A Quicktime issue? A Video Driver issue? A Codec issue? A Cyberlink issue?

I stay with Cyberlink as my preferred editor because they DO constantly maintain and update the product. I try a few competitors every couple of years, but always end up coming back to Cyberlink PD. Plus, the "smiling, happy" personalities of the long-time forum users, keep me coming back.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 29. 2012 10:35

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Many long-time users have complained about this and there are some ways to shut them off, at least the one INSIDE the PD interface. Search past posts if you are TOTALLY bothered and need some relief.

Yes, I dislike the advert's also. I have looked in my folders for a way to turn it off, burn it, and spread its ashes. But I am not computer savvy enough to have found it. Now you tell me there is a way? Oh joy! I must find out how!

Got a link? ~Tom~
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Now you tell me there is a way? Oh joy! I must find out how!
Got a link?

I think this is the original hack. There may be a newer one for newer PD versions.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13149.page#61423

I just disable CL's access in my Norton.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2012 20:26

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips