Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CD labels vs DVD labels
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: KentuckyRandy
I agree both ways are better than stick on labels that is for sure.
I have screwed up my truck CD player and one blyray home theatre player with stick on labels and that was enough for me.

It don't happen often but when it does WELLLL

Yes, that only takes once. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
davos [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Sep 27, 2011 03:09 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Try find an Epson R360.
I have printed 1000s of DVDs with this with no probs.
You can pick them up for £30 second hand.
cheers
Dave
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

I'm a fan of Lightscribe as well.

Unfortunately I don't think any one makes a BluRay Lightscribe Disc yet. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
[Post New]
Quote: Gents,

Unfortunately I don't think any one makes a BluRay Lightscribe Disc yet.

I also can't find any at this point which is a bitch as bluray players really have the biggest problem with label peel off.
It seems the heat build up and spin rates of bluray players cause all kinds of problems with stick on labels.
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Gents,

Unfortunately I don't think any one makes a BluRay Lightscribe Disc yet.

I also can't find any at this point which is a bitch as bluray players really have the biggest problem with label peel off.
It seems the heat build up and spin rates of bluray players cause all kinds of problems with stick on labels.

PLENTY of white inkjet direct pritable bluray disc. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
[Post New]
Maybe but that would mean buying new printer different DVDs
Not at this time that is for sure.
But Thanks for info.
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Very interesting thread.

Have had experience with all three methods of disc printing discussed here.

For a one off project, Lightscribe works just fine. The discs required are not that expensive. I agree it doesn't look as great as colour inkjet direct to disc, but it's a definite option.

Note, check your burner is Lightscribe! Spent ages with the Lightscribe software only to find later that the drive I had had installed for me was not a Lightscribe drive....!!

As has already been said here, do NOT use paper stick ons on blu ray discs. I personally didn't use them on DVD discs for the same reasons as not using them on blu ray discs. CD discs are fine.

Inkjet printable discs are very good. Printer must be capable of 'direct cd printing'. Canon and Epson both have such printers, and the disc tray adapters that feed into the printer are included with the printer.

Beware you pick the right discs for direct cd inkjet printing. Had so many smudges to start with using white label discs that were really only designed to be written on with a labelling pen.

Your discs should be advertised as 'inkjet printable'. The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
DeAnna2112 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2012 23:47 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
What about a external burner that is light scribe enabled? question..how do these external drives print in color? yeah, don't have a clue on any of this

for example
LG GP08LU30 8X SLIM USB EXTERNAL LIGHTSCRIBE DVD RW BURNER DRIVE

don't need a new printer already have a canon pixma mx700...just got a new computer..no lightscribe hardware..trying to stay in a budget and just want to be able to do a basic label..mainly text.. on my PD10 project dvd's.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2012 12:52

Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
An external lightscribe burner is ok.

However, it's not a massive upgrade to have an internal burner put into your mainframe. Down to pure choice whether you go external or internal......

Lightscribe bizz is not a colour process. The image is 'etched' onto the disc label, so mono only I'm afraid. You will need Lightscribe ready discs which are available for CD and DVD discs - not blu ray unfortunately. The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
DeAnna2112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for answering my question!!! Much appreciated!
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you very much for answering my question!!! Much appreciated!

I would suggest that since you are upgrading drives, that you consider a bluray burner. You can get one at newegg for $79. They also do lightscribe for DVD-CD, as well as everything a regular dvd burner does. This way you will be able to burn to bluray disc, in the future. That the path most people are taking when upgrading dvd burners. The progress of technology.

Randy Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
DeAnna2112 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks KentuckyRandy for the suggestion..will certainly check it out.
Loveclose [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Thank you very much for answering my question!!! Much appreciated!

I would suggest that since you are upgrading drives, that you consider a bluray burner. You can get one at newegg for $79. They also do lightscribe for DVD-CD, as well as everything a regular dvd burner does. This way you will be able to burn to bluray disc, in the future. That the path most people are taking when upgrading dvd burners. The progress of technology.

Randy

Thanks for adding this KR - I'd add my recommendation to upgrade to a blu ray burner as well. Burns everything else as well, and if you're not thinking of burning to blu ray just yet, you may well do so later on! Blu Ray burners are available quite cheaply with Lightscribe built in for every other Lightscribe disc sort around. The meek shall inherit the earth, if that's ok with everyone else....
[Post New]
Hello everyone I found this label maker. My good friend and me nowadays 've rearanged the CDs collections... We've got so much pleasure to work with this software. Because the pictures on CDs came out in the best possible quality. Big respect to the developers.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The best thing for labels is LightScribe using this with a burner that supports LightScribe and burn label right unto back of special DVD disc designed for this.
They cost a little more but not as much as replacing bluray player when pasted on label comes off in burner.

If you do not know what LightScribe is just run a search.

I use LightScribe exclusively, and I like it, but I want to give you a couple of cautionary notes:

• The disks themselves come in different colors, but the actual label itself is always near-black.
  • Although the resolution is high, tiny type can be very hard to read because of the lack of contrast. If they made white disks, that would be great.
  • It takes a long time to burn a disk.
  • Jerry Schwartz