Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CD labels vs DVD labels
Kerkenat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2012 10:38 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Is there really a difference between CD and DVD adhesive labels, or are they just trying to scam Joe Public?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I find no difference with the labels. although I do find a difference with the brands of labels. I got away from Stomper labels when the changed the design...and some labels don't stick on as well as others.
I use a Staples brand here in Canada.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is there really a difference between CD and DVD adhesive labels, or are they just trying to scam Joe Public?

There is no difference between a paper label for a CD or a DVD or a Blu-Ray disk.

However it has been my experience that a paper paste on or stick-on label is dangerous, if the label comes unglued while the disk is spinning in the drive, possible damage ensues. (I have had paper labels peel off).

There are readily available ink-jet printable disks for CD, DVD and Blu-ray. There are ink-jet printers that will print directly on the surface of a disk.

And there are good Direct printing Label Design programs.

Yes, these printers are available in the USA and Canada. If you are in Europe or UK, they are everywhere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 29. 2012 11:42

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
LikeCarl312 said paper paste on or stick-on label is dangerous to your player , and really not a good idea in a Bluray player because of spin rate.

The best thing for labels is LightScribe using this with a burner that supports LightScribe and burn label right unto back of special DVD disc designed for this.
They cost a little more but not as much as replacing bluray player when pasted on label comes off in burner.

If you do not know what LightScribe is just run a search.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
to add to abslayer post watch what type of LightScribe disks and burner you have (or buy). There are a few similar labeling methods (can't remember the names off hand). I think one is LightScribe the other LabelScribe quite different.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 29. 2012 18:15

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

[Post New]
Good place to start

http://www.lightscribe.com/
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
There is also the ink-jet printable direct to disc option giving you full color. I don't have any personal experience with these and I imagine an adapter on a compatible printer is required.

I have always gone the Light Scribe route. It makes a really nice looking final product...although a bit slow.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I have been direct printing CD/DVD , and now bluray, for years. Several Epson printers will print directly to white inkjet media. It also includes the software required to design and print for beautiful and professional results,

You do have to have a printer with that option built in.
.Its not an add on.

RANDY.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 29. 2012 19:08

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Inkjet on the disc. Period.
I make discs that look like you bought them at a major retailer, and no issues with balance. Look at my signature, you'll see my brand. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I get my inkjet printable CD's and DVD. and Dual Layer DVD's in bulk off ebay.

But it helps if you have a printer that will print on them..... After using THOUSANDS of peel and stick labels there is no difference. Only how the label is placed on the paper and the brand you have to select to print on them. I have a label presser which keeps you from alignment error. Although all my burners are lightscribe also, I never use it as the results are terrible and it takes forever to label a DVD.

As far as I can remember I have never had or anyone who has one of my DVD/CD's with a peel and stick label has ever had a label problem.

Lightscribe = more price and 20 or more minutes etching the label with only gray scale color, inkjetable = penneys a DVD and 20 seconds with the same results a commercial DVD has........ Labels = quick and easy... not as "nice" as injetable....

When you need 300 DVD's nothing beats a label or inkjet printer. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I know we are not supposed to post direct links, but I am posting this link of a Canon printer that comes with the direct CD printing.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_inkjet_printers/pixma_ip4920#BoxContent

This ip4920 printer includes the CD print tray and the capability to print directly on a ink-jet printable CD, DVD or Blu-ray disk.

The price is not high either.
Many online sellers have this printer in the USA. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Mine are Epson... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
I have only one drawback to direct Cd/DVD printing is you can't preview the outcome of the printed Image. All printers don't print what you would expect as a Monitor representation is not going to be necessarily what the colors look like on finished product. Where as if I print to paper first I get to see what the actual finished print job looks like. I printed on Cd/DVD through my canon printer (a cd/DVD tray printer) and the finished outcome was way way off...whereas when I print to a label I can print a sample on plain paper and view the finished outcome and make color adjustments as required.. and no wasted cd/DVD's
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
James,
those are good points, and using certain software, my DVD prints were off. I returned to my favorite disc-printing program, and NEVER have an issue. You might that my disc-printing is now a surething. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
My word of caution;
Inkjet printers are super today for single disc production. Please make sure the ink you use will hold on the disc. Proprietary ink should, replacement may not.

I have had an "experience" where my 8 disc inkjet printer had a "slight" inky drying issue. The ink was supplied from a reservoir feed.

Check your discs and use the right ink.

Dafydd

PS. Barry and Bubba print great disc images.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2012 03:38

KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Concerning the print quality and color...... Your media is a critical factor here. You should try the super gloss media from verbitim or other major quality manufactors. Its the same difference as trying to print a photo on copy paper vs photo paper. You also will use the quality print setting in your program. But drying times will be longer.

I have used generic ink before, with no issues, but the Epson ink does giver better results and looks noticeable better on media.so I stivk with that.

I have been using the Epson printers for years with no issues. The artisan series has DVD/CD/bluray built in and a free printing program.

Mine look as good as a commercial DVD/bluray. You should see the look on brides faces when they see their favorite wedding photo printed directly on the DVD/bluray, in super gloss. Or that favorite beach or cruise shot from a family trip.

Lightscribe really does not compare to that.

Randy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2012 07:34

[Post New]
A DVD done with LightScibe is NEVER going to peel or come loss / never going to have ink runs.

Takes a little while to burn on back of DVD but when it is done at least I know playing disc is not going to ruin my Bluray player by label coming off inside play
this happen to me 2 times no more glue on labels for me thank you.

Here is a LightScibe I burned.
[Thumb - Scan1.JPG]
 Filename
Scan1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
430 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
307 time(s)
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: A DVD done with LightScibe is NEVER going to peel or come loss / never going to have ink runs.

Takes a little while to burn on back of DVD but when it is done at least I know playing disc is not going to ruin my Bluray player by label coming off inside play
this happen to me 2 times no more glue on labels for me thank you.

Here is a LightScibe I burned.

I have NEVER had a ink run. When they come out of the Epsons, the standard disc dry enough in a few minutes to handle. The high gloss do need a few hours to dry completly. They are tacky, but none will "run".

But I agree with you on labels. A lot of people can't apply labels correctly, and the cheap ones do sometimes peel. But Bubba seems to have develop a sucessfull pattern.

Once you print (full color and high resolution) directly to disc, you would never go back to lightscribe.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2012 09:58

[Post New]
KentuckyRandy
I agree both ways are better than stick on labels that is for sure.
I have screwed up my truck CD player and one blyray home theatre player with stick on labels and that was enough for me.

It don't happen often but when it does WELLLL
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: KentuckyRandy
I agree both ways are better than stick on labels that is for sure.
I have screwed up my truck CD player and one blyray home theatre player with stick on labels and that was enough for me.

It don't happen often but when it does WELLLL

Yes, that only takes once. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1