Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.avi file doesn't work
chaznet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2010 05:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Try uninstalling DivX, seems to fix things -- at least it did for many of us here. Definitely not something we should have to do, especially considering the cost of the Power DVD. Oddly enough, DivX files play fine after uninstalling it, just not in the DivX player...
Andy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2009 01:32 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Yeah. I think this is a rushed release because there are a lot of other issues as well.
Choppy play back being one of them.
I am going to wait for another week or so and if no patches are forthcoming I'm going back to 11 and see if i can get a refund.
Definitely not worth upgrading at the moment
FelixDaHousecat
Newbie Location: Kingston upon Hull, UK Joined: Feb 28, 2012 03:31 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I know that mentioning other software on forums is a cardinal sin but since I have paid for a media player that doesn't work I feel entitled. This is not rocket science - It's a media player. It is one that claims to make your breakfast and if it is true that it won't work if you have DivX installed on your computer, words fail me!

We all have Windows Media Player on our computer. I try to keep mine as hidden as possible but I hate to admit that it plays most things you throw at it. I used to use VLC Player but it lacks the features I want. However, it is free and it plays absolutely everything I throw at. I am sure it would squeak out a Word document if I tried! All this regardless of other software on my computer.

Another annoying feature of PowerDVD 12 is that whenever I play a file my screens flicker. I suppose that will be my fault too! I am running a new clean install of Windows with all my drivers up to date. Ok, it's not an i7 but it is respectable.

It seems to me that whenever users have problems with software the stock answer is "Oh, it's your drivers"! I don't buy it. I might accept it if I was running Win 98 or Win XP but not in these days of Win 7. It is certainly a great "Get out clause". But why should I spend yet more of my time solving problems for Cyberlink? I would be happy to do so if the software was free or they paid me for my time.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2012 04:19

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
FelixDaHousecat
Newbie Location: Kingston upon Hull, UK Joined: Feb 28, 2012 03:31 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Oh!....and another thing.....

7 times out of 10 Power DVD tells me that "This disk is not supported" when I pop a standard commercial DVD into my DVD player.

You couldn't make it up! Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
This topic is about the issue of some .AVI files no playing correctly -- and possible solutions and workarounds. Ranting on won't solve or assist with anything.

You should create another topic for whining and babble about your frustrations there. If someone wants to read rant-whining, it'll all be in your own topic
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
Who is ranting? I am discussing my problems in a reasonable manner. I can't play any .AVI files when other software can. Your answer hasn't helped and was so predictable.

Definiton of rant:

verb (used without object)

To speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

Verbose probably, but not a rant!

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2012 05:24

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to suggest to get in touch with the technical support team,hope they will solve your problem !! Love Cyber-Link !!
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know, right? When his posting ends with "This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 10/03/2012 02:24:23", it's obviously a rant -- his postings are meaningless whines unrelated to the topic -- and sooo annoying, most likely his intent
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
I can't believe I have to be insulted as well as having problems with the software!!! Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Try posting more appropriately, reading a topic thread prior to posting, and just be more positive in general -- no one wants to read redundant issues that are already talked about in a topic -- especially framed with whininess.

Why not just start a new topic? You're not getting anywhere here. Better yet, as others have suggested, contact tech support. You have a valid serial number, right?
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
Who do you think you are? My posts are directly linked to the topic. It is rather strange that other software cope with my avi's but not PowerDVD. If you think a complaint is whining then what is the point of having a forum. Perhaps I should let you vet my posts before I submit them!!! Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again, get in touch with tech support -- you just need your valid serial number ;
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
Chaz, you know as well as I do that if I do, I will get the same response as the person who first posted about this topic. It's my drivers! I don't know why I have upset you so much but this forum (as all others!) are a chance for us poor users to discuss our frustrations. My experience with all tech support is woefull as I am sure yours is too. My "Whine" as you call it just made me feel better. It sucks when you spend lots of money on software only to find that it doesn't work and I don't understand why other software that is free copes and PowerDVD doesn't. I'm just a geek! Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
So then you're telling us you haven't contacted support? Seems like a better way for you to go about things.
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
I don't need to. The original poster already has. It would seem that Cyberlink don't bother to release beta versions before they sell their product. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
If it were important, you'd at least try to contact them -- kinda hard though if you don't have a serial number
M8R [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 31, 2010 18:41 Messages: 89 Offline
[Post New]
I see no reason why one couldn't contact support without a CD-key.
PowerDVD 12 was released early to prevent being forced to implement cinavia already. Otherwise they would have been the first software player to do so and they probably thought to lose some potential customers by that. Sadly this means PowerDVD 12 isn't really mature yet, but i even saw worse versions in the past. And of course there will be patches as time goes by.
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great news for Felix! He can contact support even if he doesn't have a serial number.

I think PowerDVD 12 is a great start, not quite ready for primetime -- though I've had no issues since uninstalling the DivX software.
FelixDaHousecat
[Post New]
Hahahahaha!

Why do you think I haven't got a serial number?

You are funny :o) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Motherboard, Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Quad-Core Processor, Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe PCI-E 1.0 (Comple
chaznet [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a hunch -- usually people who whine in support forums do so as they aren't eligible for formal tech support...
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I will close this topic as it is OT now...

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan