Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 vs. PD10
[Post New]
Is it worth the $60 bucks to move to PD10?

I've used PD9 for about a year and a half and am fairly proficient with it, but am still frustrated by the number of times it crashes.

Has PD10 reduced these problems?

And what about other features of PD10?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
You are asking the wrong questions.

Your question should be:
Here is the diagnostic data showing the full specifications of my video editing computer, is it capable of editing with PD9 and will it be ok for PD10?

See: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part B.

Your quest has been posted on the forum previously with a grand mixture of answers. Tthe question I've posed and the information you'll need to supply will get you a more useful answer.

Try it, supply it and see what members respond.

Dafydd
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I to had a lot of problems with PD8 & PD9 crashing and not being reliable, but upon getting a new high end computer and graphics card I can proudly state that in over a year PD9 has been extremely reliable. Only occasionally would it simply stop working, but not a problem with constant saves.

I was working only with HD files and taking full advantage of the Fix/Enhance and Power Tools options and upon either Producing these Projects or creating BR disks it NEVER in over a year did PD9 fail to Produce or create my disk successfully.

I just recently upgraded to PD10 and still very impressed with the reliability, so for me anyhow I deem my success with having a computer and graphics card that can adequately handle the task. For me there really is not that much worth considering in PD10 unless you want 3D which I currently don't.

George Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1248 MB Memory

Canon HF S21 & Canon HG21
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm identical results to George1938's experience with PD10 : it's much more stable. And this time when on rare occasions it does end up "loosing" it PD10 now tries to send an error report back to Cyberlink for feedback. That's a big step forward and possibly the reason why PD10 is a more fun to use. Win 10, i7
amandasmith [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 03:30 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Check the following information http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19597.page#102954

Hope this information helps you.
Berto2002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Southend-on-Sea, UK Joined: May 23, 2010 04:16 Messages: 74 Offline
[Post New]
There is almost no difference between v9 and v10 as far as I can see except 3D. I think Cyberlink were wrong to take this angle, especially after their genius in pursuing higher performance in the v8 to v9 migration. Most amateurs can't make a decent 2D movie, let alone a 3D one and 3D is still in very early days in the consumer marketplace. Far better would have been for them to professionalise some of the effects, transitions, menus, particles and text styles. At present most of them are cheap-looking and only good for cheesy home-baked childish movies and not for those looking to create moderately stylish serious output. Having said that, I have stayed with PD and purchased v10 because it's relatively cheap, fast at processing, stable, has a great array of features for the price and I have got used to using it. We are all on a journey here and in this market its better the devil you know. What is for sure, Cyberlink are on a mission to make this a great package and in a few versions nothing will be able to touch it. If you do upgrade, I suggest you sell v9 on eBay and then buy v10 afresh (using Google shopping to get the best price). This means you get a full new retail version of the new software and it'll probably cost you less than the upgrade from Cyberlink. When the next version comes out later this year considering ordering it in advance from Amazon; this time around their pre-sales price was only £45 delivered. The moment it was released it went up to £59.99. AMD Phenom II X6 1100XT
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB m/board
8GB Corsair Performance RAM
128GB OCX SATA-III SSD / 2TB SATA-III HDD
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2048MB
LG blu-ray RW super drive
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
PowerDirector Ultra 13
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Far better would have been for them to professionalise some of the effects, transitions, menus, particles and text styles. At present most of them are cheap-looking and only good for cheesy home-baked childish movies and not for those looking to create moderately stylish serious output.

Well stated Berto. I like PD very much, but there's a great slab of it I totally avoid because it looks like baby stuff. You're right - the world of home 3D video production is in its infancy, but there's no reason for PD to be loaded with infantile fairy floss type effects.

This point, however, is not related to a comparison of PD9 & PD10. It's been like that since I started using PD7.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!