Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 to PD10 Upgrade.
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink have confirmed that I am entitled to a free upgrade to 10 because I purchased 9 just prior to the 10 launch.
I have read some of the threads about PD10 etc but would like advice please on 'what to do'.

I purchased a boxed disc version of PD9 and am assuming that the PD10 upgrade will be an internet download which will 'update my installed '9' to 10? Is this the case or is it a fresh and complete install?

What specific 'extra's' apart from 3D does PD10 offer ... my reasons are not to use 3D but to ensure that I keep up with the latest developments and software fixes. On this basis, should I install it or stick with PD9?

If it is a complete PD10 install then am I correct in saying that I can retain my PD9 on the pc ... I have plenty of disc space. Are these two installs then totally separate or will they share some common information eg the Cyberlink folder in 'Documents' on my Windows7'.

If PD10 proves problematic will I be able to delete the programme and still continue to use my PD9?

Apologies should all my questions be answered in other posts but maybe this thread will also assist other PD novices like myself.
Thanks Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ron,
That is good news for you.

Both FULL versions of PowerDirector are sitting comfortably on my system. I can access and use both individually.

Please take a look here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19405.page

I use PD10 every day.

If you have questions after reading and viewing the links I have provided, please pose them.....

Dafydd
[Post New]
RonH;
Quote: If it is a complete PD10 install then am I correct in saying that I can retain my PD9 on the pc

Please be aware that Dafydd stated he has both FULL versions installed together! I think the key item of note for you, related to upgrade versions is found at the bottom of the following link:
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12846

Quote: Note: If you want to have CyberLink PowerDirector 8/9 and version 10 installed (co-existing) at the same time, you will need to purchase the full version of PowerDirector 10, and not the upgrade version.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 10:07

RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your replies.
I think (though this is only a guess) that it must be possible for me to keep PD9 because I have the physical disc, I own that disc and it was not a downloaded install. For example, if I do the upgrade to PD10 (and as yet I am not sure what to do) then I guess I can reinstall PD9 from my disc if needed. We shall see but I will most definately check this point with them. So long as I can always revert to my PD9 if I need to then its not really an issue I suppose.

Exciting times! Problem is that I will be 'off air' from the net in 1 week's time until mid Dec but I guess that this will provide me with a lot of 'study time'! CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
If yo get the upgrade it WILL uninstall PD9... I made that mistake.... I DO NOT recommend getting the upgrade at all... if you need to reinstall it, you will have to install AND register your older version first every time before the PD10 install wizard will start. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
RonH
[Post New]
Interesting post Bubba, thanks.

Certainly food for thought ... I might just download what Cyberlink offer me in the upgrade, save it but then tread water for a while to see what develops before I commit the PD10 install. In case of failure, to have to reinstall my PD9 disc, register etc before reinstalling the PD10 update could be a real pain. But this assumes that PD10 problems will require a reinstall.

What a choice to make ... might be best to have a look at what Amazon will be offering and spend the few dollars! Though I could 'take a chance', do the upgrade and if it proves to be a problem go back to PD9 or maybe make an Amazon purchase then which may reflect lower prices ... Crikey, this is all a bit much for this ageing brain! CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
skeeter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2011 23:28 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Does the "trial" uninstall PD 9?

thanks!

skeeter...
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Skeeter,

The trial did not remove PD9 on my machine. Specs below.

You should be OK to install the trail without losing your current version.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
skeeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Hal! I just discovered that myself.. Carefully watched the install status.... BUT, if I purchase or get a free update to PD10 (from 9), will it uninstall 9?

and about those "create/modify DVD menus"....grrrr..

Again, thanks Mate!

sk
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Skeeter,

If you purchase an upgrade it will replace PD9. To keep PD9 you will have to purchase the full stand alone version.

The free upgrade to PD10 from PD9 will likely uninstall PD9 before installing PD10 also. I intend to keep PD9 around for a while yet so I will be purchasing the full version.

As to the menu issue, I have come to live with what is supplied. I prefer to work with what is available to avoid the headaches. Just my way of doing things.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
skeeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hal. Yeah. I hear ya. I'd like to find a good football theme. I do game films for a high school team....sing out if you know of one. I searched a while back but, alas... I ended up making a generic, easily modded one, from scratch but I forgot how I did it. At least the PD10 trial install picked it up from V9, but I bet a fresh install would wipe out my earlier ones....hmmmm... I wonder if I export/pack my current project(s) will PD10 import them? Time for some experimenting I reckon!

thanks again!

..sk
skeeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope. It doesn't pack the DVD menus. Grrrr.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I bought the 9 to 10 patch upgrade (PD 9.5!), I cannot find a link to the 1st new "repair" patch, 1012.
The program does not ask me to find the patch, either. Whazzup? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Skeeter,

If you purchase an upgrade it will replace PD9. To keep PD9 you will have to purchase the full stand alone version.

The free upgrade to PD10 from PD9 will likely uninstall PD9 before installing PD10 also. I intend to keep PD9 around for a while yet so I will be purchasing the full version.
Hal

I purchased an upgraded to PD10 and it left PD9 alone. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
RonH
[Post New]
Well, since I started this Post its appropriate to close it.
I decided to download my authorised upgrade and install PD10.

Had a few problems with downloading the (3) software packages:
Password from Cyberlink did not function ... new password subsequently issued was OK
Downloads failed a few times which I can only conclude were due to 'broadband line problems'. When it failed I could not restart from where it got to in the download (retry had no effect) so it was necessary to start from scratch. This must be due to the security on the Cyberlink link.... took many hours to finalise some 2GB overall.

However I eventually got the software packages downloaded and they installed without difficulties ... very straight forward process with main programme installed first (license number authorisation entered) and then the Packages 1 & 2 installed. PC reboot, download Update Build 1012 and installed it.

OK, I have not had a chance to 'play' but I am IMPRESSED with how easy it was to action the upgrade ... thank you Cyberlink. To those who seem to have problems I can only say 'take a look at your local scene 'cause it seems that the downloads from Cyberlink are OK'.

Now to have a bit of a play ... CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)