Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD10 MP4 1280x720 min bitrate - why so high?
Scott H. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2009 09:39 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I'm encoding dvd video for my android devices. I've got the LG Slate (7.1" tablet) and the Samsung Galaxy S II. I cannot push a high bitrate through them and I need to keep the file sizes below ~2GB.

Looking at the MP4 encoding options, I can set an average bitrate of 768-14000 Kbps when the frame size is 720 x 480. That's fine because I want to use a bitrate of about 1500-2000.

Some simple math says that there is 2.7 times as many pixels at the higher resolution than the lower. Using 2.7 * 1500 (desired rate at lower resolution) says I should be looking for a bit rate of ~4000 at the higher resolution.

What I find curious is that, when I change the frame size to 1280 x 720, I see the bitrate range limited to 6000-30000. Why is PD limiting the min rate to 6000? Is there a way for me to coax PD into being a little more flexible with that number?
Scott H. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2009 09:39 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Why is it that a search after posting a message gives results that were not found before posting?

I see a couple of threads addressing this issue.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20133.page#106519
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17939.page

It looks like I can edit the Profile.ini file and adjust the bitrate there.

Folks at CyberLink - It would be nice to have a custom profile builder program.

I think I have the answer to my question. Thanks.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott,
Yep would be good and I have made CyberLink aware of the need to adjust/customise profile templates a little more.

Dafydd
Waltermh [Avatar]
Newbie Location: A traveler Joined: Nov 29, 2011 09:36 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, your old posts above helped me out just now for making custom youtube profiles based on their recommendations, which are below the lowest default.
I couldnt find what bitrate PD10 uploads to youtube by default, and figure their recommendations are a good enough compromise between quality and size.

And I made customs for my own archives. Twice the encoding, but meh, the laptop is quite usable while rendering behind the scenes.

So yeah, hopefully PD11 wont make us edit text files again. Windows 7
Intel i7 1.9 ghz quad core with overclock to 2.6
12GB RAM
NVidia 3GB 560M GPU
Sadly 5200 RPM Internal HDD