Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capturing from DV TAPE with no Tape in the recorder
andrew3202 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: indiana Joined: Sep 29, 2011 22:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I found this post with no answer... I'd like to bypass the DV TAPE controls and simply allow Power Director 10/64 to record the DV Stream.

My Canon ZR50 has analog to Digital, allowing me to send S-Video and Audio L/R into the ZR50, and voila' out the Firewire Port out goes a Digital Stream. PD10 sees the stream correctly, but I cannot press the RECORD button. It's prompting for a TAPE.

A (DISABLE DV TAPE CONTROLS BUTTON) would be ideal, allowing me to simply press RECORD... I have over 100 Hi8mm tapes to record. I'd rather not have to buy a s-video capture card, I'm sure I'll loose some quality there..

This is an old topic cannot find a hint

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4543.page#26447
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Try and set the camera up as a webcam, that might work.

I have done a camera hook up way back in PD4/5 with a Canon and recorded the footage, I think I used the DV camera's data as an analogue incoming signal and used the RCA connections and not the Firewire route.
I went through a TV card then. Today I would use a USB/RCA capture device like KWorld DVD Maker (carried a PD program as well) and use the RCA or s-Video connection. For 100 films to record it's a wise (cheap) investment. Your camera will need the RCS/S-Video connections.

Let me know how you get on.

Dafydd

Post edited a few times with more info being added

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 09. 2011 06:10

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you cannot get the pass-thru to be properly captured by PD7-8-9-10, the quickest solution is to use Windows Movie Maker. I find I need to set WMM to capture "only a portion of the tape", and I actually place a dummy tape in my Elura 100, let it load, but leave the tape door open. I get an uncompressed AVI, just a single file. To be honest, I don't even try in PD anymore, but I'll be watching to see what you come up with.
NOTE: If I try to capture the entire tape in WMM, I get the missing tape prompt, but setting WMM to only capture a portion (even though I capture the whole tape) let's me record without trouble.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2011 06:12

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
andrew3202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes,

That was my answer, but I didn't like the large AVI files, so I found the following FREE recorder that gives me MPEG2 files...

http://www.avs4you.com/

They have a recorder that will capture the incoming stream without a tape...

I would definitely PREFER that PD10 add an option to disable TAPE check, so that I can record these older tapes passing through my DV TAPE using the ANALOG to DIGITAL converter. I would like to create a profile optimized for these older tape formats and not be so wasteful of space..

It's not like this is a new issue.. and the solution seems to be a simple FIX (CHECK BOX) Disable DVT TAPE CONTROLS

dsm1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2011 20:54 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
+1, very annoying that I have to use another program for this kind of capture. Thanks for the pointer to avs4you, I'll have to check that out.

steve
andrew3202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As a paying client, I've submitted a technical support issue in this regard, specifically referencing more that one forum post. I'll advise as to the answer.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: +1, very annoying that I have to use another program for this kind of capture. Thanks for the pointer to avs4you, I'll have to check that out.
steve

Slightly contradictory...just get used to the fact that truly comprehensive video editing may take more than 1 program.
The Pros use capture programs, editing programs, special FX plug-ins and stand-alones by the hundreds, the list goes on and on.
So...for simple low-end low-budget folks such as, well, ME, I eagerly use 1 or 2 other programs that do something really well, and bring all those assets into PD for editing, that's what the Pros do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2011 22:13

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
andrew3202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree, no one program can do it all, However, I reference this post http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4543.page#26447

Seems the feature I reference was in PD Version 6, and was disabled or lost PD7. this was well noted in late 2008.

Version, 8, 9, and now 10 were good opportunities to address this issue. It's not that complicated of a basic feature considering that Microsoft and other tools easily provide the feature.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the results I am having, but a good software development company, and I've known many, these forums are the best places to develop feature request lists.

Having a FEATURE request forum might be nice too.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I fear that Cyberlink is treating tape as an afterthought. I think they are wrong, as there are tens of thousands of tape cameras in use, and will be for some time. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Most of this was all hashed out in the PD6 and PD7 forums but since CL merged these into PowerDirector (8 and earlier) the search engine is totally broken for that forum so searches won't yield much. Sad, but true. The link you show was found in the JVC specific forum which got very little traffic relative to PD6, PD7 forums. This link speaks of it broken in PD6 http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3627.page#13675 very unlikely CL will correct when it's been a known issue for 3+ yrs. I'd simply find a method that works with your video work flow and move on, I totaly doubt satifaction will come from a ticket with CL Tech Support.

Jeff
andrew3202 [Avatar]
[Post New]
JL_JL,

You are correct. I submitted a very clearly written support request describing the issue, feature request, situation, or whatever you might wish to call it, and the first reply was completely off the mark. After describing the whatever once again, I recieved the standard boilerplate technical reply shown below. After which I summarized that PD cannot do this as closed the ticket, but asked that it be passed on the to product manager for consideration in a future fix or release. Don't get me wrong, I like PD, but now I have to go buy a capture software or and Svideo input card that PD might support... I'll post another request for help.

1. Let me know the Serial number. SR should be like "SR_No=XXXXXX_XX". Please follow the link given below to know how to find the serial number:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/faq-content.do?id=1036

2. Exact steps which you followed to capture the Video and exactly where you see the issue. Also, send us the screenshot of the screen so that, we can look at the issue.

To take a screen shot, please press Print Screen key on your keyboard when this error comes. Then go to Start>programs>Accessories>Paint. Paste the screen capture there by pressing Ctrl+V or Alt+Edit+Paste. Save the file and send to us for analysis.

3. Details of your capturing device and the connection to computer.
4. Format of the Video captured by device and media (hard drive, DVD, DV, etc.) on which it is stored.
5. Try different device and check for the result.

6. Dxdiag.txt
DxDiag.txt: You can use the steps that follow to create this file:
a. Start --> All Programs --> Accessories -->Run OR Start-->Run...
b. Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click OK, this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
c. Click on the Save All Information Button (save this file to your windows desktop and name it dxdiag).