Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PDR9 Ultra64 require a discreet video card?
rob1965 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2011 05:04 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

First post here.

I have done the install a few times and it's plain to see that although the install says it is complete, it isn't as there is no pdr9.exe file in Program Files.

I have QuickTime 7.7 installed.

I did a quick search here and someone mentioned about maybe having to have either a discreet video card or have 128Mb allocated the on-board card. Is that correct?

See attached dxdiags.

Many thanks in advance.
 Filename
Dxdiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
371 time(s)
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
HI,
You don't have to have discreet card just a lot of resources available for video editing. I recommend 6-8GB (min) on-board memory and a 1MB Graphic accelerator memory.
did you run the installation of PowerDirector as Administrator, then run ad administrator.? I am running on a similar system as you except I have 12GB mem and Geforce 560t Graphic card and Asus motherboard and it works great.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jim

I should have plenty of resources available as I have 16Gb of RAM.

I am an admin on the machine so it sould have installed okay from that point of view.

I do have a HD 5770 graphics card at home (& I did actually mean to bring it to work where the PC is) but I'll do that on Monday.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I think you still have to 'run as Administrator' even if you are logged on as administrator...I am the only person on my PC and I still have to run/install programs givinng admin rights.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jim

I did try it but no joy. It installs Wave Editor fine but if you looking in PowerDirector folder where PDR9.exe should be, you can see all the files haven't been loaded.

It does report as installing fine.

It doesn't seem logical that it would have to have a discreet graphics card unless the old integrated ones (pre HD3000) weren't man enough for it.
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
It (pd9) does take a powerful machine for video editing altho I am not familiar with your graphic manufacurere I always use the Geforce accelerators. try going to your graphic card website directly and download latest drivers or go to Nvidia and download latest drivers..windows Update does not always have the newest drivers.
Other than that I am at a loss...sorry...maybe some one more knowledgeable will jump in..

rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim

The video card I have but which isn't installed yet is based on the ATI Radeon 5000 series chipset.

So the only video card in there is the build in Intel 3000 GPU that is on the Sandy Bridge i7 chip.

I'll bring the Radeon based card in on Monday, install it and try the PDR9 installation again.

Thanks for your help.
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I have done the install a few times and it's plain to see that although the install says it is complete, it isn't as there is no pdr9.exe file in Program Files.

This might be a stupid question, but have you also checked the C:\Program Files (x86) folder?
Cheers
Marcin
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You need much more computer.

Graphics only 64 MB, Not enough.

Hard drive
Drive: C:
Free Space: 43.5 GB
Total Space: 114.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Corsair Force 3 SSD

Two things bad, not enough free space and it is a SSD.
Powerdirector 9 needs about 1 GB for video and 100 GB free on the C: drive.

Being a 64 bit computer, PowerDirector 9 Ulta 64 would install in C:\Program files\

If you have Powerdirector 9 Deluxe, it installs in C:\Program files (x86)\

Deluxe is a 32 bit program.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl

I have done 2 things more.

I have installed a 256Mb Discreet card & I have also found that I can set the inbuilt graphics from 64 to 128 or 256Mb.

So I have chosen 256Mb for the inbuild graphics.

My SSD has 24Gb free now. n.b. I have 3Tb drive as D as well.

Where now I wonder.
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
As Carl312 says you need 100GB free on C: drive, that is where PD9 uses for cache drive, and cannot be changed! Every member that has SSD drives have problems as they are not big enough. I would swap out the SSD drive for a larger Sata drive or a standard drive.

rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oops sorry James I didn't notice about the 100Gb free on C:

So do you think it would work if I got a 256Gb SSD as my C: ?

I really don't want to go back to a spinning disk a C: if at all possible.
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
Can't answer you on that don't know that much about SSD drives....I have a 1 tera sata drive myself with no problems.
Jim
P.S. don't know if SSD drives came that big..and the cost!

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
So do you think it would work if I got a 256Gb SSD as my C: ?

I really don't want to go back to a spinning disk a C: if at all possible.

That is the 64 million dollar question.

Nobody knows. SSD drives are unproven.
So far all users of Power Director have removed their SSD drive because of problems using PowerDirector with them.

So a search of this forum for solid state drive.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&search_keywords=solid+state+drive&match_type=all&search_forum=67&sort_by=time&sort_dir=DESC

The above link is long, I don't know if it will work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2011 17:31

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Unless you are running out of disk space, the program should install regardless of your video card.

It might not run, but it should install.

Is there an icon on your start menu? If so, click on it and see what happens. Jerry Schwartz
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just to be different I have an OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA 120gig SSD drive as C:\ drive on my system with only 48 gig free and have no problem at all with PD9. My graphics card for editing is a 1gig NVidia GTX460. I have heard the minimum you need for decent video editing is a 500 meg video card.

I now have over 160 videos on youtube all done with PD 6,7,8 & 9. I usually dump up to 5 or 6 videos and one external voice recording into PD. Recently I have been shooting in 1280X920 4:3 aspect ratio to get the widest field of view, apply video enhance, then stretch to 16:9 and produce to AVC H.264 at 1920X1080 so you see I do push my editing and have not had any problem with PD9 64 bit in Windows 7.

Bottom line in my opinion most of the problems with PD is not the program but the underpowered out of date computers people are using. Like trying to run a video editing program without a graphics card.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2011 20:14

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert.

I am bit confused then as it seems PDR9 doesn't need 100Gb free on the C as a "swap" file.

So maybe if I had a 1Gb Video card it would have worked.

I specifically bought a motherboard with the Z68 chip as this is supposed to speed up video processing compared to using a separate video card.

I have installed my 3Tb drive as my C: and got the latest PDR build from Cyberlink and it has installed fine.

What I will try out of interest is plug the SSD back in and try installing the latest build.

I may also buy a 1Gb video card anyway.
[Post New]
Rob1965;

The issue of HDD vs SSD is still an ongoing one (as is the issue of how successfully Z68 and Sandybridge will become at working with OLE's like PD9). Throw in things like QUICK-SYNC and Optimus and it gets more unclear as to just HOW your programs will react. Technology moving faster than we do!!!

Having a discrete card with ~1GB memory to process your projects (in this version) is the best approach. There is much discussion about the Z68 and how it implements graphics and I think the jury is still out. This may be a good article for you to visit to see some of the current issues:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching,2938.html

You should expect that as the projects you create become larger and more complicated, the temporary space for hidden processing files in C: WILL go up. Do NOT crowd the free space line on your C: drive too closely. The more space there the better.

All this is relative to how complicated and comprehensive your projects are. The processing that one user does (like Robert with his 1280X920 4:3 aspect files) may put a much different workload on the machine than say, the FULL HD 1920 x 1080 60fps files created with the newer Canon/etc. cameras.

So although PD9 may WORK in many device environments, if you expect it to PERFORM, be aware that it utilizes all the PC resources heavily and a weak link (like no separate GPU) does slow it down.

I have never heard of EITHER of these issues PREVENTING an installation. Does the machine you are attempting to install on have an Internet connection??

FB

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2011 11:04

rob1965 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fred

I am going to stick with the 3Tb "normal" hard disk as C and use the SSD to hold the video files whilst I import and edit.

Should I start a new thread about what video card to buy?

I am prepared to spend up to £140 max.
Carl312
[Post New]
Should I start a new thread about what video card to buy?

I am prepared to spend up to £140 max.

Starting a new thread would make the subject easier to discuss.

140 Pounds may be on the low end of the price range for a good performing Video card for editing.

This link is the Video Card Benchmarks. Check out the High end Video Cards.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Prices are in USD and are Manufacturer's suggested price. Most cards are lower than the price in the chart. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.