Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SmartSound: repeatable problems
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You should try SS tech support. They'll get you going for sure. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Jerry -

I can't offer any kind of solution to this strange behaviour. When you uninstalled all those things, did you do it through Windows Control Panel - or did you use a complete uninstaller software? That's the only way to clear associated registry entries.

SS updating its libraries is quite normal. I've had about 4 in the last couple of weeks.

I'm sorry SS is giving you such grief. When it's working, it really does a good job.

Cheers - Tony

I just used Windows Control Panel.

I understand frequent updates, but not 10 in as many minutes. Jerry Schwartz
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry -

No - obviously what's happening for you isn't "normal". I just meant that SS updates its libraries occasionally.

If it was me, I'd use Revo Uninstaller (or the uninstaller in CCleaner) to completely remove all associated software - then re-install. That will give you a totally clean slate.

I also agree with Barry's suggestion about SS support - it's excellent.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd, as promised here is a video clip that illustrates my problem. I don't think there's much to learn from it.

You can see why I am frustrated.
 Filename
ScreenCapture_9-24-2011 3.10.40 PM.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23194 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
Jerry Schwartz
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry -

I think I'd have put my fist through the monitor by now!!!

Ditch it!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.smartsound.com/order/customerservice.html

Call them on the phone, they will answer. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
jerrys
[Post New]
I will

• Put my fist through the monitor
  • Call SmartSound
  • Both

• Crabby, I found the learning curve for SonicFire Pro to be a bit steep, given that I was in a hurry to finish this project. What I wound up doing was building my sound track in pieces and combining them in PD.

Because my video was a slideshow, essentially one big clip, it was hard to time out the tunes. I had to split my video clip at the transitions where I wanted the music to change in order to get the timings.

There's probably a better way to do it. If I could do mm:ss arithmetic, I suppose that would have helped; but I've always be arithmetically impaired.

By the way, that nag screen is pretty annoying and I'm not sure what exactly is going to stop working when the trial is over.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2011 18:44

Jerry Schwartz
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    You must have downloaded the Scoring Edition.
    ...or the Express Edition?
    Express is a free stripped version, not much control,
    Gee, if things have changed a little, not sure, I'll look into it.
    I don't remember Express having a NAG. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    MarcinB [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerry!
    You can use for instance a default text- just put it on the text track, extend as far as the music should go and get the duration from it. Then enter the duration into Sonicfire and export WAV file. No need for splitting
    Cheers
    Marcin
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: You must have downloaded the Scoring Edition.
    ...or the Express Edition?
    Express is a free stripped version, not much control,
    Gee, if things have changed a little, not sure, I'll look into it.
    I don't remember Express having a NAG.

The file I down loaded was SonicfirePro571Demo.

When I open the QuickTracks window and insert a clip into the timeline (in Sonicfire) or put it into the bin, I get a nag screen.

It might be that it is QuickTracks itself that has the nag screen. I don't know how else to get a track into the SonicFire timeline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2011 14:32

Jerry Schwartz
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    It'll stop nagging you if you eat your vegetables. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Jerry!
    You can use for instance a default text- just put it on the text track, extend as far as the music should go and get the duration from it. Then enter the duration into Sonicfire and export WAV file. No need for splitting
    Cheers
    Marcin

Excellent suggestion!

Thanks. Jerry Schwartz
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerry,
    Excellent video, thank you.
    Ok, I've experienced this issue on one PC which I had used SS. I did the "update later" option but the reminder kept popping up all the time. Eventually causing PD to hang.
    I looked at the issue:
    1. It's a popup from SmartSound
    2. It's updating the demo clips
    Look to: C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software inc\UpdatePacks\CoreFoundations.ssp
    3. I don't use the demo clips
    4. I selected: "Remove all updates" in the popup.
    5. I didn't get bothered again.

jerrys
    [Post New]
    Well, I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, re-installed, jumped down, turned around, picked a bale of cotton, sacrificed my cat to Isis, polished Thor's hammer, danced naked until the dog begged to be sacrificed, and I'm right where I started from.

I could make another movie, but who wants to see a sequel to that? Jerry Schwartz