Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SmartSound: repeatable problems
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
These are problems that I've had with SmartSound that are completely repeatable:

• When you set the duration that you want before dragging a tune into the timeline, the new duration does not take effect. The length of the sound clip will be the previous value. If you drag the same clip into the timeline again, the new duration will be used.
  • On my machine, at least, every time I try to select, add, delete, play past, or simply reposition the cursor near a sound clip the QuickTracks installer will run several (and I mean perhaps a dozen) times. You can't get anything done while that is happening, so you are left playing solitaire for 10 seconds or so.

• I'm not going to add to this list, because I'm not going to touch SmartSound again. It has been nothing but a time sink for me.

I do encourage others to add to this thread, so that we can gather the problems in one place. Jerry Schwartz
    rbowser [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hello again, Jerrys - Just saw you on another SmartSound thread.

This is a good thread to start. From my albeit limited experience, SmartSound really should be called DumbSound. Just today I had to replace a SS clip with something else, since I was tired wrestling with it.

My additions to the topic:

--Once a clip is chosen and added to a project, the clip doesn't play when starting playback from a point earlier in the project. If I stop, re-wind and play again, then the clip plays. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the clip is actually going to work in the finished product. That's why I just went ahead and yanked the SS clip and replaced it with something else.

--Mention has been made on the Forum that SS clips being silent is a known issue, but I didn't understand the solution - to somehow render those clips--where? how?--and then use them. Crazy work around, if it works. These are just music files, and there shouldn't be any big trick to making them work.

--The menu for available music clips looks really impressive at first - then one sees that very few of them are actually available. To use other clips, they have to be purchased at what I consider a rather whopping price of $30 each--for 30 second clips. Those are prices that a professional film production company wouldn't blink at, but they're way out of proportion to a hobbyist's budget. This makes it look like SS is only there in PD as a come-on, rather than as an actually full-fledged utility.

rbowser
    BarryTheCrab
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
    [Post New]
    Smartsound music is a good value if bought when on sale, at greatly reduced rates.
    The SS tracks are not 30 seconds, they are whatever length you need, each "song" is a mini-program in it's own right, and each "song" comes with various versions of that tune.
    Any problems with the SS module are, in my belief, caused by CL not getting their UI and general plug-in correct.
    EDIT:
    If PD ever has a version that accepts other company's plug-ins, I hope CL devotes the proper man/womanpower to getting it done right. This does not look good.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 18. 2011 21:41

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
    Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
    Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
    https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Yes -

We've all had our fill of running tests with SmartSound & its interface with PD. Forum members have probably spent more time testing than the programmers have spent getting it right!

The issues raised are often random things that:
    a. can't be replicated by everybody
    b. can't be replicated consistently/each time
    c. can't be replicated with every track

There are known issues with producing audio using the **Core Foundations tracks - again, different people get different results.

**Clear Vision, Feature Presentation, Future Progress, Global Vibes, Introspective, Julie's Place, Pavane, Run Down, Super Logo, Wild Chase

Jerrys - I don't know why your QuickTracks installer keeps running. Do you have the current version 5.1.8.0? You can download it here https://www.smartsound.com/support/updates.html?product=cyberlink - it may be worth uninstalling SmartSound Quicktracks & reinstalling.

Having said that, I have NO TROUBLE using purchased SmartSound tracks. The only tracks that have given me issues are those listed above. I also have NO TROUBLE using SmartSound in Premiere Elements - which backs up Barry's comment about the PD interface.

Cheers - Tony
    Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
    Full linked Tutorial Catalog
    PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
    rbowser [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    ...I have NO TROUBLE using purchased SmartSound tracks...

Thanks for your reply, Tony

It's just too bad that something like SmartSound, which is so prominent in the PD interface, is something which turns out to be so hit-and-miss. So much so that now at least I know to avoid trying to use it.

Mention was recently made of a sticky post which is supposed to explain the work-around for using SS files, but that sticky doesn't seem to be there---?

All I know is that SS has been a waste of time for me. Insert a file from the short list of "free" files available, and it doesn't even work consistently.

I admit to being a bit cynical with the quote I extracted from your post - My implication is that I'm not surprised the SS files work better once the user has forked out the high price that company is asking for their wares.

I consider SS no better than the "bloat ware" that bogs down Windows and software programs that have sub-program piggy-backed on their programs which amount to nothing more than advertisements. I'm sure the companies are happy exchanging money over that kind of partnership, but I submit that when such a piggy-backed Intro Version performs as poorly as SS does in PD, that it ends up doing neither company very much good - the poor performance reflects on both parties. -- Oh well!

rbowser

rbowser
    BarryTheCrab
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
    [Post New]
    Go to the Smartsound website and download the free version of SonicFire Pro. The SS files from PD will work in it, and I think you get a few more freebies, too. Let me repeat, this is a PD problem, Smartsound is aware of the issues, but it is CL that is dropping the ball.
    They know me at SS, so maybe I'll let them know that the issues have not been addressed.

EDIT: info and link sent to SS support.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2011 06:28

jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Jerrys - I don't know why your QuickTracks installer keeps running. Do you have the current version 5.1.8.0? You can download it here https://www.smartsound.com/support/updates.html?product=cyberlink - it may be worth uninstalling SmartSound Quicktracks & reinstalling.

I took your advice. I had 5.1.7.0, so I uninstalled it and installed the complete version of 5.1.8.0.

The first time I opened it, QuickTracks installed a bucket-load of updates; but the end result was that the behavior is unchanged. Every time I touch SS, the installer runs a dozen or so times.

Barry, feel free to be crabby on my behalf.

I'll try to see what SonicFire Pro does for me. Jerry Schwartz
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    Jerry, you little fella,
    be cautious with SonicFirePro, you just might like it so much you'll buy it.
    The free one is fairly basic, but the payfor is an amazing and rock-solid application, not written by CL!
    If you try it, you'll feel like a real sound master engineer, scoring your masterpiece!
    No, it's not as convenient as the plug-in, but it actually works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 19:15

jerrys
    [Post New]
    Is the free version what they label a demo?

I'm usually leery of demos, because they can leave scraps behind when you remove them. Jerry Schwartz
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerrys -

The free version is SonicFire Pro Express Track. No - it's not like a demo at all! It's fully functioning.

The pay-for version is called SonicFire Pro Scoring Edition, which, of course, has more features.

https://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/

There's no need for concern!

Cheers - Tony
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    SFP has 2 versions...

1. Sonic Fire Pro 5 Express track, not a demo, just a stripped-down version.
    2. Sonic fire Pro 5 Scoring Edition - a full-of-wow scoring machine.

I don't think there is a demo. There is quite a good deal on the site which includes SFPScoring Edition, and 5 albums. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: SFP has 2 versions...

1. Sonic Fire Pro 5 Express track, not a demo, just a stripped-down version.
    2. Sonic fire Pro 5 Scoring Edition - a full-of-wow scoring machine.

I don't think there is a demo. There is quite a good deal on the site which includes SFPScoring Edition, and 5 albums.

What I found was a file named SonicfilePro56Demo, that's why I asked.

I'll look around again. Jerry Schwartz
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    I poked around for a demo, but I must have missed it. Try the demo, you'll feel like Mozart. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerry,

I use Sonicfire Pro Express Track and it is certainly not a demo version, as Barry stated it is just a stripped down version of Scoring Edition.
    My download was called a demo version too.

I believe that Barry has an arrangement with SmartSound where he gets a commission for promoting Sonicfire Scoring Edition

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
    Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
    ynotfish
    [Post New]
    OMG!

A crab with a conflict of interests!
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    I took your advice. I had 5.1.7.0, so I uninstalled it and installed the complete version of 5.1.8.0.

The first time I opened it, QuickTracks installed a bucket-load of updates; but the end result was that the behavior is unchanged. Every time I touch SS, the installer runs a dozen or so times.

Barry, feel free to be crabby on my behalf.

I'll try to see what SonicFire Pro does for me.

Hi Jerry,
    I referred your thread to CL. Please could you clarify what you mean by "Every time I touch SS, the installer runs a dozen or so times."? If you could include a screen shot or two or a screen video capture of the event(s) it would help CL to grasp what the issue is. I look forward to passing on your reply/attachments.
    thanks

jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Jerry,
    I referred your thread to CL. Please could you clarify what you mean by "Every time I touch SS, the installer runs a dozen or so times."? If you could include a screen shot or two or a screen video capture of the event(s) it would help CL to grasp what the issue is. I look forward to passing on your reply/attachments.
    thanks

I'll do that when I get home, but quite simply this is what I mean:

• When I click on the Smart Sound icon at the left of the tracks, "...Windows configures..." several times.
  • When I drag a music clip to the music track, "...Windows configures..." several times.
  • If I move the cursor into a music clip that's on the music track, "...Windows configures..." several times.

• That's what I meant by "Every time I touch SS."

I might uninstall and reinstall everything (PD, SonicFirePro, the common data, QuickTracks, the QuickTracks plugin) and reinstall. It's either that, or give up trying to use QuickTracks from inside PD.

From what Crabby says I can use SonicFirePro to accomplish the same thing, in a slightly roundabout fashion; but I haven't explored that yet. Jerry Schwartz
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Bad to worse:

Despite all of my warnings, PD kept firing off the QuickTracks installer. I had no choice but to follow make good on my threat and re-install the whole thing.

• I removed QuickTracks, SonicFire, the QuickTracks plugin, PD9, and every other related bit that I could find.
  • I re-installed PD9 (the original release), then tested SS. Not only did it fire off the QuickTracks installer (multiple times), but now it also wanted to update the core libraries.
  • Okay, I'll bite: I let it download and install 100+ MB.
  • When that was done, I tried to use SS (from inside PD) again. The same thing happened, including the update! This happened over and over.
  • I updated QuickTracks to 5.1.8, but that made no difference.
  • I updated PD9 to 3305, but that made no difference either.

• Dafydd, I haven't forgotten about that screen shot, but really there's nothing much to see. I think a movie is more in order, and I'll make one tomorrow. Jerry Schwartz
    ynotfish
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerry -

I can't offer any kind of solution to this strange behaviour. When you uninstalled all those things, did you do it through Windows Control Panel - or did you use a complete uninstaller software? That's the only way to clear associated registry entries.

SS updating its libraries is quite normal. I've had about 4 in the last couple of weeks.

I'm sorry SS is giving you such grief. When it's working, it really does a good job.

Cheers - Tony
    BarryTheCrab
    [Post New]
    You should try SS tech support. They'll get you going for sure. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)