Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing Transition Issue
Stu29573 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2011 11:19 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, I PROMISE I tried to search this and apparently I'm the only one with this issue.

When I put the "apply to all" fade transitions into my slideshow, it seems to work. I can do a preview and it seems to work great. However, when I burn the DVD and watch it...no transitions! I then go back and view the preview in the edit mode again, and although it shows that the transitions are in the timeline, they no longer work! I've wasted three blue ray blanks already doing this. Help, please! Stu29573
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, I PROMISE I tried to search this and apparently I'm the only one with this issue.

When I put the "apply to all" fade transitions into my slideshow, it seems to work. I can do a preview and it seems to work great. However, when I burn the DVD and watch it...no transitions! I then go back and view the preview in the edit mode again, and although it shows that the transitions are in the timeline, they no longer work! I've wasted three blue ray blanks already doing this. Help, please!

Have you tried to produce the slideshow?

Produce module, try a Mpeg-2 HQ and see what the video looks like.

If the Produced Video looks good then put it on the timeline and burn that produced file to the DVD. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I tried it and there was no difference. After producing the video, I previewed it on that screen and all seemed well. I then burned it and....no transitions. I then went back to edit mode and the posted transitions didn't work...Sigh... Stu29573
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stu,

I used the "apply all" option to six images I had placed in the timeline, produced them, burned to file, reloaded the saved file into PD9 and all worked as expected. I found no bug.

I hope this helps you to identify the reason for the loss of your transitions.

I fear that any further help from me on this issue is above my pay grade. Good luck.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Stu,

I used the "apply all" option to six images I had placed in the timeline, produced them, burned to file, reloaded the saved file into PD9 and all worked as expected. I found no bug.

Why should it be necessary to produce the slide show and import it back into PD9? That's a rather clumsy process for something that a user would reasonably expect to happen inside the project. If this is really necessary then it would be the opposite of what you said, Pat - you Did find bug.--If it's really true that slideshows need to be exported and re-imported just to have the fades work correctly.

And slideshows are already produced, lowering the image quality - don't the pictures look even more degraded after this extra round of rendering?

rbowser
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is kind of what I thought too, but I'm trying it again. Unfortunately I had to go to this "job" thing, so I won't be able to view the results until after work... Stu29573
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why should it be necessary to produce the slide show and import it back into PD9? rbowser

It was not necessary for me to produce the clips. I was just trying to replicate Stu's problem for him. Because of your comment, I went back and made the same video, then went straight to "create disk", burned and reloaded. The transitions were all there and they all worked. This is not a PD9 bug.

The problem is either with Stu's download of PD9, his equipment or his technique. Stu's prior posts concern three problems and have all concerned a general issue burning his disks. He has had the program for less than a month.

Now, knowing it is not a bug, Stu should follow Carl's advice. It is right on the money. At any rate, it is not a PD9 bug.

Pax

EDIT: I see that Stu posted a DxDiag file at: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18489.page

Tony advised him that his GPU is marginal. Dropping transitions seems to confirm this.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 12. 2011 13:30

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Why should it be necessary to produce the slide show and import it back into PD9? rbowser

It was not necessary for me to produce the clips. I was just trying to replicate Stu's problem for him. Because of your comment, I went back and made the same video, then went straight to "create disk", burned and reloaded. The transitions were all there and they all worked. This is not a PD9 bug.

The problem is either with Stu's download of PD9, his equipment or his technique. Stu's prior posts concern three problems and have all concerned a general issue burning his disks. He has had the program for less than a month.

Now, knowing it is not a bug, Stu should follow Carl's advice. It is right on the money. At any rate, it is not a PD9 bug.

Pax

EDIT: I see that Stu posted a DxDiag file at: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18489.page

Tony advised him that his GPU is marginal. Dropping transitions seems to confirm this.

1. The disc burning issue was resolved. I have had no more problems in this area.
2. I guess you missed the post where I said that I upgraded my GPU to a Radeon HD 5450.
3. I have actually had the program for longer, but was trying to deal with tech support at first (big mistake).
4. I did follow Carl's advise. I just have to wait until I get home to see the results.
5. Just because it works on yours doesn't mean there isn't a bug in mine. In fact, when I first started working with PD9, I found that my build was rather ancient (although I purchased it new from Amazon) and several issues I was having were because of that fact. With many builds out there, I can't be sure yours and mine are the same.
6. My technique may indeed be the issue, but I am doing my best to understand the process. Having used Roxio for years, several things about PD9 are rather counter-intuitive for me.
7. On a semi-related issue, why can't you put any other transitions on all the slides at once (not just fade)? This would seem to be of great benefit. Stu29573
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stu (and anyone else who's following this) -

Video editing is intensive processing for a PC. Different editors will get slightly different results/behaviour/performance on different machines doing exactly the same thing.

Pre-producing prior to burning is often suggested as a way of minimising problems. When you burn a disc in PD, the video has to be "authored" anyway (rendered to MPEG-2).

In your case, Stu, I think it's just the way your PC is processing the burn that's causing the issue. Personally, I wouldn't categorise it as a "bug" if other editors arn't able to replicate the issue.

why can't you put any other transitions on all the slides at once (not just fade)?

You can... http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77#p/u/23/70CTEAI9ozI

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It worked!!! Thanks everybody!
Now to learn how to do the other transitions... Stu29573
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, this may need to be a new topic, but even though I now have transitions, the QUALITY of the pictures is very poor. They are not sharp at all.... to the point of really looking out of focus. My videos are nice and crisp but these look terrible. Any other ideas? Stu29573
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Stu -

Do you mean:
(a) in the produced file on your PC, or
(b) after it's burned to DVD?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I mean after it's burned to dvd, Actually, it's so small on my screen I can't tell if the quality is great before I burn them. I know its not a burning problem (or I would assume its not) because my videos come out nice and sharp. Also, my stills are all 8 megs, so they should be pretty crisp... Stu29573
Stu29573 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone? Stu29573
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I mean after it's burned to dvd, Actually, it's so small on my screen I can't tell if the quality is great before I burn them. I know its not a burning problem (or I would assume its not) because my videos come out nice and sharp. Also, my stills are all 8 megs, so they should be pretty crisp...

Hi, Stu

You've started a new topic on the thread, and so people aren't seeing your new questions. Earlier you said the transition issue was resolved, so why not edit the subject line of your original post on this thread, so it says "SOLVED."

Then post your new question. Also, you'll find other current threads on the topic of video quality, like this one:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19261.page

Best of luck with it all!

RB