Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
fading to still images but retaining video soundtrack
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Angus,

Please allow me to suggest an addition to these very elegant approaches. Hopefully, it will provide the simplicity you want.

1. Place your master video, including the audio, in track 1. Do nothing to it.

2. Place your stills in track 2, located wherever you like along the timeline.

3. Go to "Transitions" room and drag the "fade" transition twice, once to the beginning and once to the end of each still in track 2. That should provide the fade you said you want.

Hi Pax,
As I understand it, the fade at the start of the first image will share "blackness" in the fade in, and a similar effect occurs on the fade out of the last image. That's what seem to happen here. Though I must admit, I'm getting a bit confused.

But I think I have got it working now thanks to you good people - see above.

I'm right in thinking that you can't drop a transition at the start of an image where there is nothing directly before it, right? You'd use Modify and the fade tab for that I assume.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,

You are obviously an experienced editer, newly come to PD9. Although I do own another editing program, my experience outside PD is extremely limited. Therefore, I know I might not be saying something you need to hear.

Anyway, it might help to read my earlier post again, just to make sure. I suspect you have not yet found the transition room, which contains the fade transition I have been talking about.

Please make sure you realize that you need not place a transition into the master video images. In order to avoid any black in the transitions, place transitions inside the still images, which are in a track below. The transitions will work, generally speaking, regardless of whether you place them in the master video or in the still images.

In order to do what I was talking about in my earlier post, use the fade transition in the transition room. You can expand the track you are working on by putting the cursor on the ruler bar above the tracks and, while holding the left mouse button down, drag it to the right.

This will let you see how to place the transition you are dragging down from the transition room. This is especially important if you are placing a fade transition to straddle the borders between two adjacent images.

Finally, your video will start and end at black, unless you want it to do so in a color or a pattern or image. You may use the color board or back ground options to do this.l You To find the color boards and backgrounds, look up to the level of the open folder image in the main window and find a button that says "all content". Click on it and choose a color board or background which suits you.

You can overlay the color board with your opening text or images and fade in from that color into your video. The same applies to the end and ending credits, etc.

If none of the foregoing does what you want, then you may want to go to the "modify" button. However, I suggest that you thoroughly understand what PD has "canned" for your use in the various "rooms" before you try to do more with PIP. From what you have said you want to do, I really don't think you need to use PIP. Don't get me wrong, after you get things to work as you have described, then would be the time to consider getting fancy with PIP.

I hope this helps. No need to be confused. There are plenty of guys around here that will assist you. Welcome aboard. For me, PD9 is a wonderful program that does everything that my little heart desires, so far. ha ha

Pax

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,

I neglected to point out to you that you can fade in or out from any color you wish. Simply position a color board in the lowest track, click the key frames button activate the first key frame and adjust the fade in or out to any duration you wish.

I know we have covered several issues on this one thread, even though this may deal with a fade to still images. Perhaps it would be best to start new threads on any new issues.

I'll bet you are up and running now.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
[Post New]
Quote:
I'll bet you are up and running now.

Pax

Hi Pax,

First of all thanks for your kind advice.

I am up and running, but as you mentioned there are sevral ways of removing feline fur from its original owner.

Okay, I know about the Transition room, and I'm not concerned with Colour boards at the moment. I just mentioned "black" to describe the "nothing" that precedes my images when I put them on to their own track a little way in to a production.

It seemed to me that I couldn't put a Fade at the beginning (or end)of this sequence where you are bridging into nothing, but that's okay because I can achieve that by using the Modify function.

But basically, thanks to you good people, I believe I'm sorted on this issue, but I feel sure there will be more.

Thanks again.