Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
fading to still images but retaining video soundtrack
[Post New]
Hello,
I have recently bought PD9.

I'm trying to create videos of elderly relatives talking about their early years. I want to fade from them talking to the camera, to still images of what they are talking about, and then back again. The images need to be fullscreen and I might zoom into a particular face in a group photo or track across a landscape, for example.

I had some fun attempting this in PD8, but it was quite fiddly with just one video track. I had a go last night on PD9 by placing images on a second track, but I couldn't work out how to incorporate a fade from the video to the still image.

What would be the way to achieve what I'm trying to do with PD9?

Thank you.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,
Use a multi-track set up. Have the video in Track 1 and then place your images in Track 2, where you want them to appear. select an image and then Modify to bring up PiP Designer and check the fade in/out option in the second tab.

[Post New]
Quote: Hi Angus,
Use a multi-track set up. Have the video in Track 1 and then place your images in Track 2, where you want them to appear. select an image and then Modify to bring up PiP Designer and check the fade in/out option in the second tab.

Thank you, I've found the PiP designer, with the fade options, but I couldn't work out how to do pan and zoom movements with that. Would I be right in thinking that for this I would use the Magic Motion button that appears to the left when I highlight an image? So use the PiP designer and Magic Motion in conjunction with each other?

To be clear, I don't want to move a PiP box around the screen, I want to fill the screen with the still image and move about within that image.

Thank you again.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi _Angus_ -

You're right Angus... your clips and images would look a bit like this

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: Hi _Angus_ -

Cheers - Tony

Many thanks - I will try and get my head round it a bit better tonight.
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi _Angus_ -

Cheers - Tony

Many thanks - I will try and get my head round it a bit better tonight.

Okay, I tried that and it worked well - with a single image.

But if I want to use several images one after the other, how do I get them to fade into each other?

If I apply a fade at the end of the first image, for example, it reveals the video rather than fade directly to the second image.

I tried to think my way round this by using the slideshow feature, but once it becomes a slideshow you can't access Modify to create a fade in and fade out at the start and end of the sequence.

So, I'm trying to create a sequence of several images, fading in and out, with motion, and the sequence itself should fade in and out, while the video soundtrack continues throughout.

Is this possible?

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
you could treat your series of images as a separte project, produce it then bring it back into you original project.

getting the fades, zooms etc timed, then overlay onto original video RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That'll do it Angus...

Make the images slideshow separately, as Rocket Scientist suggested, produce it then place the produced slideshow in the "lower" track.

Even though this tutorial is about using frames, you'll see an example of it at about 3:25 http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/16/msx6dp0oymk

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote: That'll do it Angus...

Make the images slideshow separately, as Rocket Scientist suggested, produce it then place the produced slideshow in the "lower" track.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am grateful, but I'm not happy with this solution because its "fiddlier" than I want it to be. I've just upgraded from PD8 to PD9 because I thought it would allow me to seamlessly enter stills sequences without the fiddling that was necessary to make it work with PD8. Using PD9 is probably going to mean a cpu upgrade as well, but now I'm wondering if I might as well stick with PD8.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I really appreciate your time and trouble.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Don't forget that you can alter the opacity of the "underlying" video using keyframes or the "rubber band" - similar to altering the volume. Depending on the balance between the stills and the video content, you should decide which is best placed on Track 1, 2 etc. ie does the video underlay or overlay the stills or vice versa.

This is a technique I use with multiple camera shots on separate tracks. You can, in effect, "switch the tracks on and off" by using the opacity rubber band just leaving the one you need visible ant any point for any time.

In your case you can fade your images in and out as you choose but, if the video opacity is set to 0, it will not be visible at the fade point.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Quote:
In your case you can fade your images in and out as you choose but, if the video opacity is set to 0, it will not be visible at the fade point.

Adrian, this sounds promising, but I haven't quite got my head round it.

I've putting stills on a track below the video so when they occur they take priority.

I tried using the rubber band you mentioned (I think) and while it will fade out the video, it is replaced by black, until the still comes in. I don't think I've quite grasped what you mean - but it sounds good!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Something like this??

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/video/519478
http://youtu.be/9OL72eIB2hY

It's a bit quick and dirty but illustrates the technique, if that's what you want.
Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - fade example _angus_.PNG]
 Filename
fade example _angus_.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline view
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2011 16:26

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Adrian -

I'm sure that's the kind of thing Angus is after. Maybe quick & dirty, but right on the money!

It's a shame Directorzone doesn't display the finer details, like the "rubber band". The screen shot shows it perfectly.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote: Something like this??

It's a bit quick and dirty but illustrates the technique, if that's what you want.
Cheers
Adrian

Adrian, Tony, gents...

Thanks, that's excellent. It took me a bit longer than it should have done to get my head round it (I use unfamiliarity as my excuse) but I think I've got it now.

The only slight issue I found, is that putting a fade on an image that is on its own track (I think) basically involves a fade to black, which this technique addresses, but it can be tricky to balance it just right without some of that black seeping through - unless I'm missing something? Anyway, I'll improve with practice, I'm sure.

Thanks gents.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Try this,
you'll have to add a track.
Video with audio in top track, then in the next 2 tracks, alernate your images, overlapping them, and also using PIP fade in/out.
[Thumb - Fading.png]
 Filename
Fading.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
476 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
[Post New]
Angus -

The world needs more gentlemen like you.

Even in its own track a "cross" transition will not fade to black unless it's on the very end of a clip or image... as opposed to crossing over both images/clips.

Adrian's suggestion gets rid of seeing the clip behind.

Cheers - Tony
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,

Please allow me to suggest an addition to these very elegant approaches. Hopefully, it will provide the simplicity you want.

1. Place your master video, including the audio, in track 1. Do nothing to it.

2. Place your stills in track 2, located wherever you like along the timeline.

3. Go to "Transitions" room and drag the "fade" transition twice, once to the beginning and once to the end of each still in track 2. That should provide the fade you said you want.

There will be no black. You can modify, zoom with magic motion, change duration, or edit the still images to do whatever you want. No need to bother track 1. If you do not stay full screen with the stills, you can manipulate the background to suit.

You may modify the duration of the fade if you wish. Expand the track so you can see what you are doing.

If you wish to retain and use those portions of the master video in track 1, which the stills cover, unlock it with a right click, split it where you wish, and move the entire remaining video to the right.

There are several ways to skin your cat, but, if I understand the issues you are dealing with, this may provide the ease you are looking for.

I hope so.

Pax

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 20:39

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Angus,

I neglected to suggest the fade from one adjacent still to another.

To do this, expand the timeline, so you can be sure of what you are doing.

Place only one fade transition so that it straddles the two still images. Adjust the fade duration to suit.

This will not disturb track 1 in any way and, I believe, will give you the quick and easy transition you are looking for.

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 29. 2011 07:07

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
[Post New]
Quote: Angus -

The world needs more gentlemen like you.

Coming from you Tony, I take that as high praise.

Quote:
Even in its own track a "cross" transition will not fade to black unless it's on the very end of a clip or image... as opposed to crossing over both images/clips.

I think that's what I'm trying to say. On the start of the first (or end of the last) image, the fade shares the image with some blackness, which is a nuisance, although it can be minimized with the cunning fade in/out of the video track's corresponding sequence.

But I think what you guys have been saying has finally clicked in my head.

I've just put a group of 4 images on a separate track, using modify I let the first image fade in and the last image fade out, then I put fade transitions between each image. Then... I applied magic motion to each image, and I think I've got what I wanted!

I think I may have been a bit thick here.

[Post New]
Quote: Hi Angus,

Please allow me to suggest an addition to these very elegant approaches. Hopefully, it will provide the simplicity you want.

1. Place your master video, including the audio, in track 1. Do nothing to it.

2. Place your stills in track 2, located wherever you like along the timeline.

3. Go to "Transitions" room and drag the "fade" transition twice, once to the beginning and once to the end of each still in track 2. That should provide the fade you said you want.

Hi Pax,
As I understand it, the fade at the start of the first image will share "blackness" in the fade in, and a similar effect occurs on the fade out of the last image. That's what seem to happen here. Though I must admit, I'm getting a bit confused.

But I think I have got it working now thanks to you good people - see above.

I'm right in thinking that you can't drop a transition at the start of an image where there is nothing directly before it, right? You'd use Modify and the fade tab for that I assume.