Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video quality question
Rolfe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2009 05:06 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I'm disappointed in the output quality of PD9. The original .MP4 file from my Samsung HMX-H100 shot at 1080i looks great. If I Produce an MPEG-4 or .M2TS with PD9 (not editing the clip at all), the output is blurry/fuzzy compared to the original.

Am I expecting too much to think the output might be similar? Examples attached. Details follow.

Capture1.jpg is a portion of a frame (WMP12) from the original MP4 from the camera (file size 148MB).
Capture2.jpg is a portion of a similar frame from the MPEG-4 output of PD9 (98MB).
Capture3.jpg is a portion of a similar frame from the H.264 AVC output of PD9 (121MB).

The MPEG-4 was Produced with Profile type: Default, Profile name/Quality: Best Quality MPEG-4.

The H.264 AVC was Produced with Profile type: Default, Profile name/Quality: AVCHD 1920 x 1080.

Are there other settings I should use to obtain better output quality?

Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas.

--rolfe.

PowerDirector 9.0.0.2930
[Thumb - Capture2.JPG]
 Filename
Capture2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
MPEG-4 output
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
211 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture3.JPG]
 Filename
Capture3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
H.264 output
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
207 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture1.JPG]
 Filename
Capture1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Original
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
DxDiag attached.
 Filename
Rolfe 64bitDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
293 time(s)
[Post New]
Do not be surprised at all Rolfe
Look first at the "weight" of your files and you will see that all of them are smaller so was rendered (absolutely).
If you want to have the same quality you shoud avoid any video rendering !

Two solutions in my opinion:

1. Let try to make your profile (not default), where you should set up better bitrate than default offered by PD
2. use another application

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rolfe -

I don't know whether you may have resized/re-proportioned any of the images you attached... but there's a difference between Capture 1 (original) & the other 2.

If the screen shots are accurate (i.e. a true representation of what's in the produced MPEG-4 & AVC H.264 files), then something has gone wrong in rendering! Look at the sail! In your produced files, are the proportions the SAME as the original???

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

What I did was to play the input and output files in WMP full screen. Then I tried to move to approximately the same frame in all three cases. I used Windows 7's Snipping Tool to capture approximately the same sized screen shot, but this is a free-hand tool, resulting in slightly different cropping of my jpegs (but no stretching of the images, etc.).

The camera was panning slightly, to follow the sailor, so the pilings could understandably be a bit blurred in all three cases. But notice the detail of the sailor and sail -- they are degraded.

These screenshots are representative of the issue. I have experimented with increasing the bitrate with a Custom Profile but did not notice any difference.

I hope you are correct that something is wrong in the rendering and is correctable.

I've attached the Properties of the input file (corresponding to Capture1.jpg) as well as of the two output files so you can see the proportions and other details.

Hope this gives you additional ideas.

Thanks,
--rolfe.
[Thumb - Capture2 Properties.JPG]
 Filename
Capture2 Properties.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
properties of output MP4
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture3 Properties.JPG]
 Filename
Capture3 Properties.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
properties of output m2ts file
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture1 Properties.JPG]
 Filename
Capture1 Properties.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
properties of input MP4
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
175 time(s)
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
I should have clarified something. The "screen shots" captured with the snipping tool are only a portion of the full screen frame in WMP, not the whole frame. That's why you saw a difference in the jpg sizes. As I said above, only the cropping is different -- there is no stretching or other manipulation of the jpegs.

--rolfe.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
OK Rolfe -

Thanks for clarifying. The JPEGs have only been cropped - not resized. Then something is wrong with the way the clip is rendered...

... because THAT sail (and the other elements of the scene) is stretched horizontally.

I notice the original clip has a bitrate of about 17MBps, while the produced files are lower (11-13). Have you tried replicating the precise parameters (format, resolution, bitrate) to produce?

Rolfe - I think it'd be really helpful if you could upload (as an attachment) a short clip straight from your camera for members to test. Just about 5-10 seconds would be fine.

Cheers - Tony
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

I need to clarify something else -- about the sail. The sail is in the process of being rotated, so its apparent width will depend on which exact frame I stopped WMP on. I did not attempt to stop all 3 videos on precisely the same frame; I just eye-balled it.

You have a pretty sharp eye to notice the sail width differences. I can't see any proportion distortions in the other elements, however.

I'll be back later with results of your other suggestions.

Thanks,
--rolfe.
floridagator
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Nov 23, 2010 07:27 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I did a test comparing the original video shot by the same camera, Samsung HMX-H100 produced with Cyberlink Power Director 9.
I produced the video as a MP4 and compared it to the original without any rendering and I really did not see any degradation in quality in the two videos.

I posted it on Youtube just now to see what the video looked like. Watch the video in HD and see what you think. I have made several videos and posted them using this camera and was pleasantly surprised. I have a Canon which is more expensive but I don't see a appreciable difference. It is a little shaky, but I kept being bumped.
See the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0s0vOoOrCs

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2011 19:48

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Phenom ll X4 Processor 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Attached is a short clip shot at 1080i. The Word doc contains screen shots taken of the original clip in WMP, the Produce MPEG-4 result with Default profile, and the Produce MPEG-4 result with a Custom profile modified to 17M bit rate (like the original).

My conclusion - the two outputs are significantly degraded from the input (see the Word Doc).

My goal is to be able to edit video without noticeable loss in quality. Can anyone suggest how to do better than I did?

Thanks,
--rolfe.
 Filename
HDV_0766.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12716 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
 Filename
comparison.doc
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
275 time(s)
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
'gator,

Thanks for passing on your experience. I watched your video 1080p, full screen. It looks OK, but to know if there is degradation, I'd have to see the original.

One thing I noticed, which is a separate issue, is that the background (trees, etc.) is jerky while you follow the little cars. I'll bet you don't see that on the original :

You could do me a favor -- download my short clip and process it like you did yours, then upload it here as an attachment. Then I can compare your result with my original directly.

Thanks,
--rolfe.
floridagator
[Post New]
Here is your video produced H.264 with Cyberlink, There is some degradation but I think from experience that in the Youtube processing you lose some quality. Vimeo seems better in their processing but you will be limited th 720P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BFicSsSYzM Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
floridagator
[Post New]
Here is your video processed with MP4 files. In comparing your video with the Cyberlink rendered video, I see it about the same if you put them side by side to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIwJ89BEt2s Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Here is your video rendered in Cyberlink H.264.
 Filename
Cyberlink.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12881 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
'gator,

I'm not sure what post-processing Youtube performs or my browser, for that matter, so uploading to there is not what I need.

'bulldog,

That's helpful. It looks to me like you get the same degradation that I do. Thus I think the issue is either PD9 or some kind of incompatibility of my particular camera and PD9.

Thanks to both for responding.

--rolfe.
[Post New]
or some kind of incompatibility of my particular camera and PD9

nonsense
read again, what I wrote yesterday
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
The effects you are seeing has been described in various forms on this forum and is due to the poor handling of interlaced files in PD. PD just line doubles causing awful combing, loses half of the available information and causes all that panning judder people complain about (as well as the softening you are seeing).

Simple test:

Produce a jpeg in paint of 1920x1080. Draw a diagonal line. Render the video in progressive and interlaced format. Take a still from the resulting video file. Attached is the crops to demonstrate. ( If Tony could embed them, that would be great )

First file is original, Second is interlaced, third is progressive.
[Thumb - test.jpg]
 Filename
test.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
162 time(s)
[Thumb - 1080i.jpg]
 Filename
1080i.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)
[Thumb - 1080p.jpg]
 Filename
1080p.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
162 time(s)
Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Unequivocal test results, Phillip!

Ask & you shall receive...

Cheers - Tony
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony ...speed of service is impressive as well Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
Rolfe [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The effects you are seeing has been described in various forms on this forum and is due to the poor handling of interlaced files in PD. PD just line doubles causing awful combing, loses half of the available information and causes all that panning judder people complain about (as well as the softening you are seeing).

Thank you so much. Great explanation. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm shooting at 1080i. As a result, PD9 is not acceptable to me.

Bankroot:

I'll stick with my 'nonsense' about incompatibility -- i.e. my camera shoots 1080 interlaced, which is not (very) compatible with PD9. Re your suggestions -- I don't think (1) is going to help based on the explanation quoted above. However, I think your (2) is right on.

Thanks to all.

--rolfe.