Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pitfalls buying PD from unauthorised distributers & 2nd hand units - Component Activation failures!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Editors and would be PD9 purchasers,

PowerDirector 9 has an feature within it called Component Activation. The installation key requires online confirmation, as does the Component Activation.

Component Activation (CA) deals with the separate video formats and each have 30days from installation to initiate. CA is PowerDirector's security feature and is aimed to prevent multiple installations onto more than one computer, covered by the EULA (End User Licence Agreement). An editor must activate each part of PD's Produce section - just by clicking a pop up message for each video rendering format within 30 days.

Purchasing PowerDirector:
NEVER buy a used software product (PowerDirector) as it is likely to have reached its Component Activation limit and will not receive Online Support or corrective assistance from forum members. Please be aware that counterfeit products masquerade as the real thing and are often sold online. This is a warning to editors NOT to purchase from "unknown" online distributors or second hand. Component Activation is there to prevent the abuse of a single licence.

CyberLink offer a 30 day money back policy (you'll need to have contacted Online Support), if an editor is dissatisfied with their online purchase. An editor has 30 days trial period and 30 days afterwards on the full software.

Here are two places to check BEFORE you purchase PowerDirector or any other CyberLink product:
CyberLink product official website:
http://www.cyberlink.com/store/index_en_US.html
Or from CL's Regional Stores:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/regional-stores/enu/index.jsp

Be safe, be careful and buy from a known distributor/seller.

Edit: Removing sticky. This thread is now bookmarked - see http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 25. 2011 03:51

inside99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2011 19:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
While I completely understand and support protecting against software piracy, there are many different avenues for said protection and this one is a new one to me. I was curious as to why the original CD-Key just can't be activated online instead of waiting for the CA to be activated also.

My PowerDirector 9.0 purchased on eBay came delivered in unopened original packaging but can no longer be used after the 30 days because of these CA protectors. Because the seller does not appear to be a licensed dealer I have no recourse other than coming after him through eBay while trying to stop the eBay sale of this product. And this seller had great feedback value and has been on eBay for a very long time.

I would change your wording to say "Never buy a NEW OR USED" PowerDirector Product from anyone other than a licensed seller. Using the term "unknown" distributor is a very loose term. i.e. There is a local computer store down the street who I would not buy this product from without a written guarantee.

Thanks for your help

inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
A follow up...customer service has told me they cannot support their product sold on eBay. Understood. The PowerDirector software I purchased no longer works because of this codec activation.

I am currently attempting to stop all Cyberlink sales on eBay as illegal sales are obviously taking place. I will keep the forum posted on the topic.
tonycog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 23, 2011 22:52 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
A question about the list of CyberLink's regional stores: Does it matter which store you buy from, based on what country you are in? I'm in the USA and I see a good deal from a UK site (for download, not boxed version). Is there any reason for me to not buy from a UK website? I'm paranoid now after my Ebay debacle.

Thanks,
Tony
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

It does not matter which country you buy the product from, as long as it is genuine, You can always contact Tech Support with details of the proposed supplier and ask if they are an authorized supplier of CyberLink products.
You may save a few dollars, but for piece of mind purchase from CyberLink direct.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
tonycog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert
I'm basing my question on CyberLink's list of authorized sellers. The seller in question is listed, but I was just concerned about the locality and whether it mattered or not. (I would not have imagined that Ebay sellers would automatically be ruled out, apparently with no-questions-asked.) I'm always in favor of saving a few bucks when I can manage it.

Thanks,
Tony
inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Follow up FYI...I received a full refund from the eBay seller of this product since the codec activation had expired. I am now going to purchase PD9 online directly from Cyberlink! Should I do more than just uninstall the old expired version so I can guarantee this product will work with the new codecs activated?

Thanks, this is a good product when it worked. And I have already put in much time on the learning curve with this software. Don't wish to change.
tonycog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Todd
Just last night I uninstalled my Ebay copy. I also used CLCleaner and re-booted. Then I installed my new copy of PD9. It's working as advertised.

One of the Authorized Re-Sellers of PD9 has a good price right now: Check out Download Crew's deal. They're on the link above.

Tony
Michael4973 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2010 13:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have Power Director 8 Ultra which I purchased on Ebay about a year ago. I do not think the vendor was an authorized reseller.
My question is, can I still buy the retail upgrade to 9 Ultra and be assured that I will have a fully functional version with all the activation codes required or do I have to purchase the full retail version?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Purchasing PowerDirector:
NEVER buy a used software product (PowerDirector) as it is likely to have reached its Component Activation limit and will not receive Online Support or corrective assistance from forum members. Please be aware that counterfeit products masquerade as the real thing and are often sold online. This is a warning to editors NOT to purchase from "unknown" online distributors or second hand. Component Activation is there to prevent the abuse of a single licence.

PD9 EULA states:
Quote: Except for the Software marked "Not for Resale" or the like, you may transfer the Software on a permanent basis to another person or entity accompanying the Documentation and the license agreement, provided that you retain no copies of the Software and the transferee agrees to the terms of this agreement. Such transfer will cause an automatic termination of your license to use the Software.

So CL states that I may transfer my software on a permanent basis to another. Counterfeit is one thing, simple transfer of agreement is totally different and CL should not impose component activation limits on such transaction. How can it reach activation limits when the user has no control to deactivate component activation and CL states if I agree to transfer to another this will cause automatic termination of license. Makes sense, I transferred the agreement, I'm terminated as I should be and the transferee agrees to EULA and component activation. Nothing should be wrong with a proper second hand or used software sale. Multiple sales, ie counterfeit, obviously not appropriate.

Quote: Component Activation (CA) deals with the separate video formats and each have 30days from installation to initiate.
Nothing in the EULA that I saw states I must activate the separate video formats within 30days. Heck, maybe I bought the ULTRA version and don't even have HD or BD capability but thought I would in the future. Since I didn't activate any HD video formats within the 30 days I'm out of luck. That's just not right. How do end users even know which of the many formats need activation so that they can try to produce a file to activate within the 30 days?

Jeff
 Filename
PD9_EULA.txt
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 EULA
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
562 time(s)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Well said Jl_Jl, I think you covered everything, nothing in the EULA states that there is a limit on the number of times activation can be implemented. With video editing software, especially PDR9 where constant removal and reinstallation appears to be the norm rather than the exception, there should be no limit on the number of times the program can be activated, indeed, on the same machine there should be no need for such a requirement.
I am not aware of any other program that has such a restriction when being reinstalled on the same computer.
The statement regarding Component Activation, (CA) has to be considered as absolute rubbish, I can install my operating system as many times as I like on my computer, but am unable to install on any other computer with the same key. Other editing software I have allows me to install on another computer PROVIDED that I deactivate the program first, this is the only way the program can be activated on another computer If CyberLink are really concerned about prevention of multiple installations, then they should implement a similar safeguard.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 01:30

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff and Robert,
If you both have a problem with how you're interpreting the Component Activation's 30 day period (which is in the pop-up as a notification) and it's limitation for use (records the IP, I believe) then please do not hesitate, contact CyberLink.

Security features are becoming part of PC use. Some only allow online use, games for example. Others including operating systems require online activation and additional security features.

I'm not aware that either of you are having any activation problems.

The main concern for software companies is the multiple sale of a single software activation key along with duplicated product disc and delivery - sold by unlicensed sellers. These rip sites operate to take money and run.

Component activation is there to protect the legitimate license purchaser. Edited.

Please contact CyberLink with your concerns.
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention. CyberLink support may ask for your order number/details, activation key, full name and email address. Please have the information ready.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 03:18

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Who said we had a problem with CA, we are just pointing out that it's the implementation that is wrong. Why on earth should it be necessary to activate some components within 30 days, what has that got to do with security, absolutely nothing.
You stated "records the IP, I believe" then that's all that is required. There no need to have a 30 day limitation if the IP address is recorded.
Contact Tech Support? you know as well as we do, raise an issue like this with them and it will disappear into the black hole never to reappear again.

Robert
Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
[Post New]
My experience towards tech support is different from yours. I got response as and when required.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert,
It shouldn't disappear, if you raise the matter.

The component activation may also be a licensing requirement for a feature (copyright holder other than CL), I really don't know on that score. I disagree with you on this matter as I can understand why this is being used as a painless (for legit users) "security feature" preventing misuse of the software license.

If there is a genuine good reason for a Component Activation issue, CL will give support. The big hassle is a purchaser who seems to buy a bargain which turns out to be a pup! Some of us have been there.

As I mentioned. Contact CyberLink, they want feedback on this matter. It isn't a blackhole and if you don't get answered give me the ticket number.

Dafydd

edit: typo corrections twice!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 04:31

[Post New]
Dafydd is correct ! the CA is there to stop piracy and in the long run it really a good for legitimate users.

But I am also agreeing with your point of view that there shouldn't me any pain for legitimate users.

Cyberlink can track using the MAC address instead of IP address. As the IP address could be change if user did not purchase a public IP address from the provider.

Moreover, if user wants to change his hardware, then they can request CyberLink to change the MAC address currently saved in their database.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 04:36

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I think we have here the (not uncommon) asynchronous information issue - in this case CL has some information that is not available to its customers. However the CA issue is a cause for concern in that it fundamentally affects the basic usage of the product by a paying customer (on the basis of the correct EULA terms) by apparently imposing an unknown and uncontrollable block.

I am unaware if or where such limitations are explicitly outlined, or what corrective action is then open to a customer. CA limitations obviously happen because the forum has references to it but no forum member has any detailed information about the next steps available.

Dafydd indicated the collection of IP address as the "flag" but my network assigns dynamic IP addresses and I don't believe my ISP has allocated me a static IP address - maybe that's why I have never had the issue??

Whilst I appreciate that giving all the information about a security feature might be "counterproductive" I do believe that CL has a duty to publicise the constraints that they apply and how those constraints are triggered and what recourse or corrective action is then available.

Perhaps a small pop up giving the T&C's could appear, say during production or something - there's probably enough space alongside the adverts? (Sorry - that's a joke, by the way)

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
what about MACc address tracking option...
inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My issue/question is: Why can't CL make you register the CD Activation Key upon installation first? Why does Cyberlink allow PD to be installed and then 30 days later tell you this product needs an online activation?

What this does is actually allow people to get away with selling an unlicensed product. Me, for example, bought one on eBay, used it for 30 days thinking this was a legit product and then boom, it could not longer function. If the pop up had told me upon initial installation that the CD-Key needed to activated then I would have sent it back to the seller with a 30 day return policy.

I don't get it.

If the Codec Activation is from a third party and needs activated through them, then this software product is really bad business and should at the least state so on the outside package. This is like buying a 12 oz Coke at the store, taking it home to drink, opening it and taking two sips only to be told I now need to go online and activate the carbonation through Acme Industries. Very unsound business practice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 11:31

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff and Robert,
If you both have a problem with how you're interpreting the Component Activation's 30 day period (which is in the pop-up as a notification) and it's limitation for use (records the IP, I believe) then please do not hesitate, contact CyberLink.

Security features are becoming part of PC use. Some only allow online use, games for example. Others including operating systems require online activation and additional security features.

I'm not aware that either of you are having any activation problems.

My activation had stopped working for a little over a week. The patch 2930 appeared to correct the issue. I remember reading that 2930 had a "correction" in for some users with CA issues. I don't see any mention of this on CL official release notes so it was probably a post on the forum. (I'll edit and attach link when I find it) If it was not the patch, something simply changed behind the scene with CA activation at CL. My version is legit, came directly from CL, only installed on one computer, never reinstalled, only patched, I had internet access, no new major hardware modifications to PC since first install (MB or like) that triggers reactivation for some software products.

I guess I'd like to know what I own via the EULA or a proper T&C's. Right now it appears CL at their discretion could halt CA now or in the future when PD9 is a legacy product and make my legit version worthless to me as an editor as many video format modules won't activate. Maybe I wont be into buying the new sales gimmick of DirectorPower11 featuring the totally rewritten first ever 128 bit Supersonic Velocity Reimage Transposer!

Jeff