Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pitfalls buying PD from unauthorised distributers & 2nd hand units - Component Activation failures!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff and Robert,
If you both have a problem with how you're interpreting the Component Activation's 30 day period (which is in the pop-up as a notification) and it's limitation for use (records the IP, I believe) then please do not hesitate, contact CyberLink.

Security features are becoming part of PC use. Some only allow online use, games for example. Others including operating systems require online activation and additional security features.

I'm not aware that either of you are having any activation problems.

My activation had stopped working for a little over a week. The patch 2930 appeared to correct the issue. I remember reading that 2930 had a "correction" in for some users with CA issues. I don't see any mention of this on CL official release notes so it was probably a post on the forum. (I'll edit and attach link when I find it) If it was not the patch, something simply changed behind the scene with CA activation at CL. My version is legit, came directly from CL, only installed on one computer, never reinstalled, only patched, I had internet access, no new major hardware modifications to PC since first install (MB or like) that triggers reactivation for some software products.

I guess I'd like to know what I own via the EULA or a proper T&C's. Right now it appears CL at their discretion could halt CA now or in the future when PD9 is a legacy product and make my legit version worthless to me as an editor as many video format modules won't activate. Maybe I wont be into buying the new sales gimmick of DirectorPower11 featuring the totally rewritten first ever 128 bit Supersonic Velocity Reimage Transposer!

Jeff
[Post New]
I believe activation of a product is not a concern for users. The only concern is CA.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I believe activation of a product is not a concern for users. The only concern is CA.

In some respects - yes - BUT only if the basis for "activation" and /or subsequent alterations to licensing/T&Cs are clearly and transparently part of the "contract" implicit in purchasing at the time of purchase. All too often the user/customer is placed, either actually or perceptually, at a disadvantage by the unilateral actions of a service provider in changing T&Cs- for example, many banks and insurance companies have had to deal with the fallout from such changes.
Having spent 30+ years in the private sector, I like to ensure that any contract I enter into is clear, open and transparent - not unduly subject to small (actually microscopic) print, "random" actions of one party or "we've passed on your account to ABC Contract Ltd. /Inc and ......"

I think Jeff is correct to question the "apparent" change to the activation/licensing environment or more bluntly put "what do I get for my $ and where does it say what changes are allowed within the original contract"

As always, I'm a supporter of CL but sometimes things just seem ???????

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2011 18:16

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have referred the thread to CyberLink and got answered.

Jeff, it was my post you read, if that helps and it was info I was given. The CA issue which was corrected was to do with some users receiving less days than 30, but I cant be sure. I did assist you with a CA issue a while back, same rules apply on installation, then as now. Let me know if you need info.

Some of the reply and summarised.
CyberLink will support legitimate users, an original proof of purchase is required which CL can confirmed. CL suggests the second hand purchaser - .... could ask the reseller to provide them the original valid proof of purchase of that product. For example, the photocopy of the Box CD with activation key or the original confirmation letter email... In this way, as long as the customers could provide valid original purchase record to prove the license is legal for us, then we will provide further assistance.

If there are further questions please contact CyberLink.

I have raised the EULA question as well and that matter is being looked at.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2011 05:59

SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I think that CL are employing heavy overkill methods.

You will remember Dafydd that I had a perfectly legitimate installation of PD9. I installed it and supplied the CD code and everything was hunky-dory, except I just got ill and afterwards was so busy that I didn't use it for a number of weeks. When I came to use it, I hit this activation thing, saying I was outside the 30 day limit. This was after installation and successful registration, mind ! You, Dafydd, knowing I was a bona fide signed-up user, gave me help and access to downloads in order to start over. I hate to think what sort of hassle it would have been otherwise. I am almost frightened to think what will happen next time I update my computer platform

Sellers of software should be able to prevent duplication of their software and illegal use, but there are many simpler methods which do not put the user to so much grief. Many applications have activation and de-activation routines, enabling migration from one machine to another. Software far more expensive than PD is handled in this way. I have navigation software from MaxSea, costing nearly £1000 which will only run on one machine. If I install and start it on another machine, I have to deactivate it from the first machine before it will work on the next. Same with Admiralty Tidal software. I have no troubles like this with ANY other software Windows 7; Office 2010; Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Lightroom; DreamWeaver; Robert and Collins Complete English-French Dictionary; Le Grand Robert French Dictionary; IGN GeoRando. And I do not have to do re-licensing each time Windows 7 applies an update during the night.

Two of the latter softwares require the presence of the original disk. One of the above creates a licensing disk on installation, which must be reinserted every now and again... some of these techniques seem a bit of a nuisance, but the CL methods are of a different scale altogether and are heavy-handed, clumsy and poorly executed. The EULA is not worth the paper it is written on -- oh, sorry, it is ecological and no paper so worth nothing by definition.

End of rant. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Hugo1306 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
Lively discussion here :
I wonder , WHAT are those components that need activation ?
Just like SeptimusFried, me too I did the installation a couple of weeks back, and only launched the application this weekend.
After reading this thread, I launched the application and started to click around. I think I saw that CA popup 2 times ?
Did I missed some ?
Hugo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2011 17:09

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hugo said,
"Just like SeptimusFried, me too I did the installation a couple of weeks back, and only launched the application this weekend".

Is that in batter?

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2011 18:22

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Hugo1306 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
mmm..no.. I prefer Coconut oil , healthier they say
TvDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2011 07:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Being in the software industry for over 25 years, I have never heard of such a rediculous policy. Paying users that CANNOT use the product due to all sorts of mechanisms CL implement to prevent piracy. This is the world upside down.

AND IF A GOOD WORKING SUPPORT ORGANISATION WAS TO SUPPORT THIS TOTAL REDICULOUS APPROACH. IT WOULD BE SOMEWHAT ACCEPTABLE...

BUT THE SUPPORT ORGANISATION IS NOT RESPONDING

I truely hope that Cyberlink will suffer from its own customer unfriendly approach... arrogance is mostly punish... lest hope this will happen soon

!@#$%^&*()

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2011 07:40

GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Had PD9 come up and ask me to activate Sfw. Now I have been using PD9 since it came out with out seeing this window before. My daughter was trying to use it, and logged on under her acct. She could start PD9 but got the activate window.
So now I find out even if I have PD9 on one PC it is limited to ONE Person's acct on the PC?
Is that right?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2011 02:35

Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DLS -

That doesn't sound right to me! When you're using PD, the only thing you're "logged in to" is DirectorZone, which is a distinct thing.

Your daughter received an alert about activating SFW??? I don't even know what that is, except as an acronym in street talk! Was it SWF maybe? That's an Adobe flash format that PD is incapable of producing.

Anyway - this lively discussion has shifted away from the topic of buying from authorised distributors.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DLS vision [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 06:23 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
"sftw". Software
Sorry for going off target.
Will start a new thread I clear my C Drive Dailey. Go to on desk top to start-search. Type in %temp%. High lite and delete all files shown you can. Be amazed at temp files collected.
SteveB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2012 07:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I wonder , WHAT are those components that need activation ?

Finally found it in the 9.0 FAQ (I'm a 10.0 user but found this thread first, then the FAQ entry):
"When using import output feature of MPEG2, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc, these features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used. Activation is fast, easy, and free."

For 10.0, it is the same, as per this FAQ entry in the knowledgebase (not to be found in the General FAQ list unfortunately!):
"What is component activation in CyberLink PowerDirector?

When using the import/export feature of MPEG2, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in CyberLink PowerDirector, these features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used. Activation is fast, easy, and free.

If you don't have Internet access at present, you can choose to activate later and use the feature within 30-days. Please remember to activate via the Internet within 30-days, so that you can continue to use the feature."
mdas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2011 01:41 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
It is really important to be aware of the counterfeit products masquerade which are often sold online. But I think that measures should be taken like that,when a counterfeit product is purchased and when updated there should be some patches developed by the cyber link team,that after receiving the new updates for the counterfeit software,they can detect it and block it there itself.

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
What is component activation in CyberLink PowerDirector?

When using the import/export feature of MPEG2, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in CyberLink PowerDirector, these features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used. Activation is fast, easy, and free.

If you don't have Internet access at present, you can choose to activate later and use the feature within 30-days. Please remember to activate via the Internet within 30-days, so that you can continue to use the feature."

I read something in these forums about component activation, and it rather freaked me out. I made haste to fire up the various bits that I hadn't any immediate plans to use, just to make sure that they were activated. I hope I didn't miss any.

Putting this information into an FAQ is disingenuous: people usually check an FAQ after they run into a problem. In this case, once you've run into the problem and read the FAQ the clock has already run out.

I suspect it might be some kind of auditing required by a 3rd party software license, but putting a ticking time-bomb into your software is rather harsh.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2012 21:47

Jerry Schwartz