Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Whats best for my HD films
Bobafett69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 11, 2011 11:47 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.
After using a few of the options in the produce section of PD9 I am still not getting any where near as good results as the original clips.
I mainly use MPEG4 960p from my GoProHD and full 1080 from my Sony CXi.
I have rendered in MPEG4 and H264 but both seem choppy and blurred compared to original media clips
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
The h264 should have been your best.... the mpeg4 should be good also.

Are you looking at them placed back in your timeline and then played? What is your preview resolution set at?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2011 11:20

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
The GoPro 960p isn't a standard HD size. Take care mix matching frame sized footage when using the two cameras - you could run into rendering issues or worse crashing.

The 960p is a 4:3 frame size 1280x960 and the 1080p is 1920x1080 16:9.

There are a good number of GoPro PD editors here, might be worth asking what they chose.

A REQUEST
Please can you provide a sample from your full 1080 from the Sony CXi - 5 to 10 seconds long, will do very nicely? I don't have that camera's footage on file. See guide info on attaching files. Thank you.

Hwyl
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2011 13:30

Bobafett69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No that's the final product played on power DVD player or WMP. H264 even states on the drop down list that's it's 768 max which is rubbish. MOV files set at best give me better quality than most but still poor compared to original.
Bobafett69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I use 960 on the gopro cos it's better height for helmet cam work 1080 is not good as gopro's have only a 120 degree width at that resolution compared to 170 on the 960p setting.
The Sony records in H264 format and the gopro in quick time mpg4
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bob,
Provide a screenshot of your project and a diagnostic file please - Edit Workspace.
I'm sure Bubba (and I) would appreciate some additional information from you. Please read the guides.
Hwyl
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2011 13:40

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bob,
"The Sony records in H264 format and the gopro in quick time mpg4" Yep I know it does.
The warning I gave still applies.
Hwyl
Dafydd
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Robert uses a gopro .. he is another one of our HD editing guru's....

Go here and look at one of his vids he attached in a thread. The thread was for uploading video to You tube...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16758.page#83836

A GREAT video... its recorded at 920.

Or direct You Tube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ly_-ZqBuQg&feature=player_embedded

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Apr 27. 2011 15:12

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Bubba

Hi Bob,

First off I will tell you a tip to make your GoPro videos pop. I find the default GoPro videos a bit washed out. In PD if you use "fix/enhance"...."video enhance" to 1/4 to 1/2 slider, it really helps the quality of the video. It automatically does what I used to do manually with my GoPro videos. That is, a touch of contrast, saturation and sharpening.

After much testing with my HD GoPro I have found H.264 at a bit rate around 12,000 to 15,000 is a good balance between size and quality. I have even tried blu-ray bit rate around 22,000 bit rate but did not notice any real difference other than a much larger file.

My second format would be .wmv and actually sometimes just let PD do the upload to youtube which is in .wmv 12,000 bit rate I think.

When you talk about choppy video are you talking about in the preview window or the final produced video?

As Dafydd says having 4:3 and 16:9 aspect of different formats on the same time line may cause problems. Although test it out, it is cheap and easy with short test videos.

I shoot my hang gliding videos at 1280X920 to get the widest view and use PowerDirector to stretch to 16:9 as I really don't like black bars in my videos.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Bobafett69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert. Choppy as in the final movie not preview. Seems to be dropping frames. And that's using only one ratio at the moment. If I stretch to 16:9 we look like sumo wrestlers on bikes. I don't mind the black bars as long as the quality is good.
I am getting best results so far from .mov produced movies set at best quality. For some reason the only option I get for H264 is Standard dvd 7x5 which is a bit too 1985 for me
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought Bob are you using PD deluxe or PD ultra? Also as Dafydd asked part A & B from here would help us help you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
I also use the GoproHDs.

The 720 settings r2 & r3 both shoot 170 deg at 16:9 full screen. For fast action I get very good smooth results using the r3 60fps setting.

Opening shot was filmed using r5 1080p 30fps & the rest was filmed using r3 720p 60fps 170 deg.

Blur was added back in with PD delay effect. This was a very active thermic/ rough air day. PD Image stabilization was only used on the first hand held shot. The 720P was upscaled to 1080p using PD.
Bobafett69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nice work SDR. I will bear it in mind. What did you use in the produce section for your settings? H264, .mov, MPEG4 . I need the extra height in my shots to get all the subject matter in , width is not as important for that in the 16:9 to 4:3 sense

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 15:42

[Post New]
For this one, I used the youtube Full HD auto profile settings.

See screen shot for the settings and resulting file properties. It produced a 1920x1080 .wmv file that was at a 10320kbps bitrate & 29fps. (this was down sampled from the largely 60fps source)

I did however have the HW video encoder checked. (This could have helped. . . using a HIS HD 5770 1GB video card(AMD ATI Radeon HD 5700 series))

[Thumb - Produce Prop.jpg]
 Filename
Produce Prop.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
produce settings and resulting file properties
 Filesize
219 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
187 time(s)
Bobafett69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now that's mote like the info I needed. Thanks for your help and not just asking me my own questions