Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Tracks Getting Out of Sync
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Since upgrading to build 2702 my tracks are getting out of sync from each other as editing is done. Even the audio in a video clip will get shifted from the video (objects are not unlinked). Text does not move with it's photo. Transitions disappear unexpectedly. Inserting a photo or clip in a timeline does not shift the following clips/photos down the timeline. This was not happening at build level 2504. I've tried things like grouping objects, setting preferences/editing/link all tracks, etc. to no avail. Very frustrating and time consuming to correct unpredictable timeline shifts. Happening on both new and old projects.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Yes.

Quality control.

Put a short audio stinger in your project near the end of the project and line this up with a unique video segment.

After certain edits to your project, test out that things have not moved by playing the stinger to see if it has not shifted.

You will start to see what does and what does not shift things. You then have the undo and redo buttons to work with.

That's how I do it.

You'll find out it doesn't take much to ruin a production. I had to voice clips disappear from the track on me and my video if free for the nation to download on Pegmedia unless I want to do another 10 hr upload.

Im going to start do my projects in segments because PD9 is not all there yet and need a bit of refinement still. Lets hope the product doesn't get discontinued as I can't see it being very profitable for them with all the issues.

Its extremely frustrating when things go out of whack.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2011 17:00

Stephen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2011 21:16 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have just the oposite problem. I don't want things linked and for some reason I can't change that. The link objects box is unchecked, I have reinstalled the software, cleaned the registry of old files, and nothing will change the link issue. Before I purchased 9, I was using 7, which after about a year started to work good,so before I bought 9 I tried a bunch of different editing programs from cheap to very expensive. After the months of evaluation, I bought 9 in the hopes that the problems I had on the trial version would be corrected. The best way that I have found to combat the lock ups and crashes is to auto save your project every 2 minutes. I wish this worked better.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
I have just the oposite problem. I don't want things linked and for some reason I can't change that.

Hi Stephen,

This might help.
- At your keyboard, type Alt+C (hotkey).
- Once your Preferences window has opened, go to the Editing menu.
- Add or remove the checkmark in “Link All Tracks…” box.
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Stephen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, but I have already done that and it makes no difference at all. I even reinstalled the software and set user pref before opening anything, and it still doesn't work. It's as if the box is non functional.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm, that is unusual.

In your post above where you described your problem, you mentioned “Unlink Objects”, which only applies to separating the audio from a video clip, and is a totally different option from the “Unlink Tracks” option.
Could you perhaps be confusing the two, as PD9 is still relatively new to you? Or perhaps that was just a typo.

Also, I’m sure you are aware of the little padlock icon to the left of each timeline, that can be used to lock out each track. I generally also have all my tracks locked (in addition to de-selecting “Link All Tracks” in Preferences), when I want to be sure that other tracks don’t shift, or create unwanted gaps, as I edit in an open working track.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2011 09:39

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
A screenshot may help members to understand - visualise the issue.
Dafydd
Stephen [Avatar]
[Post New]
the little lock prevents any editing on the locked track. In the editing preferences there is a box to "link all tracks when inserting/removing content in time line". this box is unchecked but the content doesn't unlink. In other words... if I cut a 5 second clip from the middle, everything to the right moves left to fill in the blank spot.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephen,

This is what I do:

Add another video/audio track that will serve as your "unwanted clips corral" using the add tracks button located on the far left of the timeline to add this new video/audio track. Now when you have split your video in the other tracks that includes this unwanted 5 second clip that you want removed as an example, just drag this 5 second clip to your new corral track. You will find that nothing will shift when the clip is deposited in this new track. Then, right click on this clip and remove it if you want. You could keep it there for safekeeping if you change your mind later, and you could also select the "eye" icon on this track so you don't have to see it when playing back your video in the preview window.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Warm regards,

Cap'n Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2011 21:19

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cranston
[Post New]
Hi Stephen,

Oh OK. You’re talking about the linking of other “media” in a track you are working on. Not the linking to other “tracks”.
Yes, you’re right. The Unlink All Tracks in Preferences does not generally have any effect on the track you are working on. And this unwanted shifting is something that has been complained about since the first beta version of PD9 was presented for testing.
Why this issue was never corrected, is one of life’s big mysteries. Especially in light of the fact that this unwanted shifting thing was not an issue in any previous version of PD.

So just as the Cap’n stated in his spot on advice above, it is now necessary (or at least wise), to always have an extra trash bin track open where you deposit any unwanted media, prior to deleting.
I’ve also found that utilizing more of PD9’s 99 available tracks, and relegating individual media bits or segments to their own track, does help avoid the possibility of too much stuff being vulnerable to unwanted shifting.

Stephen [Avatar]
[Post New]
the trash bin track is an outstanding idea! The way I was working around it was this; I created a black picture and imported it into the library. When ever I wanted to remove a track, I used the picture to overwrite the file and then set it 100% transparent. I like the trash track idea better though.

Thanks guys for all the help and effort.