Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 Ultra blu ray playback occasional stutter...
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
Ok here is my full report on PowerDVD 10 Ultra v2916...

PowerDVD full Version

PowerDVD 10 Mark II Version 10.0.2916.51
PowerDVD Trial Verison?

online retail purchase Mark II Ultra version
PowerDVD SR Number (when click on "CyberLink in left top - SR NUMBER IS NOT THE CD-KEY!!)

DVD110429-07
PowerDVD TR Number (if shown)

TR110516-059
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version)

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit SP1
Do you use administrator or restricted user account?

Administrator
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW?

online retail purchase Mark II Ultra version
Used VGA

Gigabyte GV-N460OC2-1GI Nvidia Geforce Gtx 460
Used VGA driver version

275.27-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta
Used Audio device

NVIDIA HDMI
Used Audio device driver version

HD Audio driver version 1.2.23.3 (275.27-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta)
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices)

(current system setting) (Use HDMI), DENON-AVAMP-1 (NVIDIA High Defintion Audio)
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version)

LG SATA HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS30 Firmware 1.00
Do you use Amplifier (Model/connection)

DENON, Ltd(DENON AVR791 AVR)
HDMI
Used Display(s)

Panaonic TC-P55ST30
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI)

HDMI (MiniHDMI to HDMI at video card to AVR)
HDMI (HDMI to HDMI at AVR to TV)
Which display refresh rate do you use while Playback (24/25/50/60/120/...)

HD 1080p, 1920 x 1080 24hz 32 bit
Are you using single or dual monitor environment

single
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display)

not using
(3D only) Please provide detail info about 3D setting in PowerDVD

HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (1080P 24Hz)
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using

none, even windows 7 default windows defender is forced off
The detailed issue description

Zips attached showing 2 different configurations. I would have done 3, but for some reason changing Nvidia Video image settings Deinterlacing User inverse telecine on and off does not show up under any of the available methods for collecting configuration.
dxdiag 32 attached
bd advisor and bd-3d advisor logs attached

Uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and files.
Installed Nvidia drivers.
Activated 3dtv play.
Installed IE9
configured audio to 7.1
configured powerdvd dvd playback to bitstream dts
configured powerdvd blu ray playback to bitstream hd audio
downgraded powerdvd to v2325
Upgraded powerdvd to v2916
played dvd and sat audio
All 4 playbacks were using windows media center with IE9 installed to playback powerdvd in cinema mode!

Disney Tangled 3D Blu Ray Region A
Igor Blu Ray Region A
1920x1080x32x24hz
Bitstream HD audio
Micro stutter during playback with new v2916 engine and beta drivers. Was acceptable, but not perfect as i would expect this system to be able to playback at least to the same level as stand alone 3d blu ray player.
Audio stayed smooth, but video went to slow motion for a few seconds at random times during the movie.

Constantine DVD Region 1
1920x1080x32x60hz
Bitstream DTS audio
Dvds haven't had a problem yet. I saw a micro breakup in one scene where the video went chunky pixel in an area of the screen. Audio and video playback was smooth and at least to the samel level as stand alone 3d blu ray player.

27 Dresses
1920x1080x32x60hz and 1920x1080x32x24hz and both resolutions with use telecine disabled!
Bitstream HD audio
No matter what i tried this movie had nothing but issues. The video would stutter or even stop. It even did the old famous video and audio stop, black screen, and finally restart.
I tried all 4 different modes looking for fix. The best part was the last 3 tests were not even reading the blu ray anymore and playing from a cached version. This of course led to a major stutter when it finally reached the point where it had to start reading the disc again.
I removed the blu ray and popped into a 3d blu ray player with HD audio bitstreaming to the same equipment. It played flawless and never had an issue. Why did PowerDVD have issues?

The v2916 seems better. I wish i had a way to collect better information about this issue. I feel like frames are still being dropped when they should not causing my audio and video problem.

I also noticed the 3d 1920x1080x32x24 was very grainy and i need to downgrade the video driver to see if it is still this way.
 Filename
constantinedvdnokey.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DVD configuration (dxdiag, collectuserinfo, bdadvisor)
 Filesize
107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
779 time(s)
 Filename
tangled3dblurayandigorbluraynokey.zip
[Disk]
 Description
B3D configuration (dxdiag, collectuserinfo, bdadvisor)
 Filesize
107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
957 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 30. 2011 22:43

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Larry,

thanks for the detail report and valuable info - I will discuss internally how we will proceed with this item.

will come back to you soon!

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
BaldEagle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2007 11:13 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

the same problem here, but I think I found the answer. In my case these hiccups occur only when playing region-free blu-ray movies (e.g. Gone with the wind, The break-up). All the other regions such as AB play fine. It's another PowerDVD region bug.

Back in the days of PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra I had a similar problem when B region blu-ray movies stuttered in Vista and then technical support confirmed that it was a bug related to region codes.
BaldEagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did some testing and it looks like this bug is triggered by swapping blu-ray movies of different regions without closing the PowerDVD. Maybe there's a bug in PowerDVD's blu-ray load routine which makes particular types of blu-rays to stutter (in my case region-free blu-rays).

Playback order without closing the PowerDVD:

1. Gone with the wind (region-free). Plays normally.
2. Planet of the Apes (AB regions). Plays normally.
3. Gone with the wind (region-free). Starts hiccuping very often.
4. Planet of the Apes (AB regions). Plays normally.

Quote: Hi,

the same problem here, but I think I found the answer. In my case these hiccups occur only when playing region-free blu-ray movies (e.g. Gone with the wind, The break-up). All the other regions such as AB play fine. It's another PowerDVD region bug.

Back in the days of PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra I had a similar problem when B region blu-ray movies stuttered in Vista and then technical support confirmed that it was a bug related to region codes.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting...

This might explain why SOMETIMES it was not a constant problem. I don't think i have any region-free releases, but i know i have some A and ABC releases. Maybe you are considering the ABC releases as region free, but my thought on this would be no region code mentioned on the package or disc. IE home video. I have one concern since i can't find a system spec from you, but I am guessing based on your luck you are using an ATI card.

I have been dead on these forums as CS never gave any further information and just closed all of my tickets. I stopped visiting the forums and purchased a stand alone player.

I have been thinking about reviving my blu ray support in my media center, but after visiting and reading here it seems not much has changed since i left. I doubt this weekend i will have free time, but maybe before next month i can start testing the latest 3306 version.

I have no desire to purchase PDVD 11 as it seems it will not fix my problem either, but maybe i will download the latest trial and see if it is still having the same issue as 10. I wont turn down a full PDVD 11 key for all my problems and hassles if the trial works, but i am not giving any money since my stand alone blu ray play is working 100% flawless with bitstreaming and 3d. That is a lot more than i can say for my pdvd 10 ultra...

Thanks,

Quote: I did some testing and it looks like this bug is triggered by swapping blu-ray movies of different regions without closing the PowerDVD. Maybe there's a bug in PowerDVD's blu-ray load routine which makes particular types of blu-rays to stutter (in my case region-free blu-rays).

BaldEagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Interesting...

This might explain why SOMETIMES it was not a constant problem. I don't think i have any region-free releases, but i know i have some A and ABC releases. Maybe you are considering the ABC releases as region free, but my thought on this would be no region code mentioned on the package or disc. IE home video. I have one concern since i can't find a system spec from you, but I am guessing based on your luck you are using an ATI card.

I have been dead on these forums as CS never gave any further information and just closed all of my tickets. I stopped visiting the forums and purchased a stand alone player.

I have been thinking about reviving my blu ray support in my media center, but after visiting and reading here it seems not much has changed since i left. I doubt this weekend i will have free time, but maybe before next month i can start testing the latest 3306 version.

I have no desire to purchase PDVD 11 as it seems it will not fix my problem either, but maybe i will download the latest trial and see if it is still having the same issue as 10. I wont turn down a full PDVD 11 key for all my problems and hassles if the trial works, but i am not giving any money since my stand alone blu ray play is working 100% flawless with bitstreaming and 3d. That is a lot more than i can say for my pdvd 10 ultra...

Thanks,

Quote: I did some testing and it looks like this bug is triggered by swapping blu-ray movies of different regions without closing the PowerDVD. Maybe there's a bug in PowerDVD's blu-ray load routine which makes particular types of blu-rays to stutter (in my case region-free blu-rays).

As far as I know it's region-free if you find the letters ABC or if all the letters are missing from the package. But I probably have to take my words back. I've lately watched movies of different regions (B, AB, ABC) and it looks like this problem is more title-based than region-based. I've began to think that this whole Blu-ray standard is just a one big mess requiring a patch after another. See my post here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19179.page
Aniruddha [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2011 11:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
DISABLE VIRTUAL CD DRIVES (such as PowerISO/CloneCD etc)

It works for me, if the software used to work before, then this simple work will solve it.

After setting no of virtual drives to 0, may need to relaunch the BD-Ray playback software - such as PowerDVD 10

[somehow those virtual drive simulation makes the disc access slower]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2011 11:03

Andreas666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2011 13:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I had the same problem, neither playing with the PowerDVD settings nor with the nVidia driver settings helped. Disabling or removing Virtual Clone Drive did not help either.

After I updated my nVidia display drivers to the latest beta release (290.36) the problem dissapeared.
Andreas666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2011 13:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Problem re-appears again with the latest nVidia Drivers v296.10. Downgrading to v290.36-beta "solves" the problem again.