Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Black horizontal bars in BD video
yk_nb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 09:40 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I've got a PD9 build 2504 running under Vista 64 bit. The dxdiag files are attached.
I have a project consisting of approx 260 .mts files created by a Sony camcorder in 1440x1080 resolution and 3 .mov files created by a Canon photo camera in 1920x1080 resolution. It contains the main menu with video and 14 chapters. The total duration of the project is 1 h 28 m.
Leaving alone the issues with burning disks in PD9 (I wrote about them in different post (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15905.page), I may note that finally I managed to burn both DVD (by writing the project into folder on HDD) and to BD (as MPEG-2 at 2x burner speed).
The DVD is perfect.
However the BD has a serious problem. While palyng on a Sony BD player small black horizontal bars are visible on a TV screen near vertical lines. The effect is especially visible on moving objects.
I tried to burn BD in both 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 resolutions - no difference.
This effect is almost not visible while palying the BD on a PC with PowerDVD. What's interesting those 3 clips shot by a Canon photo camera (as mentioned above) are absolutely free of this deficiency - they are perfect on a TV screen via BD player.
I have carefully read all posts in this forum that may be releted to this issue (including a similar problem with Panasonic BD player http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15899.page#7911. I did not find any solution to my problem in the previous posts, so I'd really appreciate help from PD9 gurus.
Thank you.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
399 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
436 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
1.Can you tell us what an HP EliteBook 8530w is in terms of CPU and speed ?

2. Have you tried to first render the offending Sony videos into the same format as your Canon, 1920x1080 and then using those in the final project ?

3. Your BD issue may be related to interlacing differences between the Sony camcorder and Canon camera.

4. Note that you can save yourself some discs if you burn to AVCHD (h264) format. That way you can use re-writable DVD instead of BD. Win 10, i7
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply.

1. HP Elitebook is quite good; it's Quadcore Core 2 Extreme Q9300 @ 2.53 GHz with 4 Gb of RAM.

2. I did not entirely understand this question. Actually I indicated that I had tried to burn the BD in both 1920x1080 and 1440x1080. No difference.

3. It might be. How to resolve the problem?

4. My PD9 installation crashes if I try to burn this BD in AVCHD format.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
NOTE: It is usually a good idea to render (produce) your project first before burning in order to view and edit the project beforehand. As for BD burning, I find that using a third party (free such as ImgBurn)) BD / DVD burner yields better results than that of PD, especially with AVC and BD discs.

1. Your PC is good enough for HD editing. But PD9 can use in excess of 4 Gbytes sometimes. 6 Gbytes is usually plenty.

2. My suggestion involves splitting your project into two steps : the first renders (produces) a new video file that converts your 1440x1080 videos into 1920x1080. The second step takes the resulting new videos and merges them with your Canon videos. This step makes the Sony videos match that of the Canon insuring identical aspect ratios. (This is the answer to my point 3). PD9 is not perfect when it comes to dissimilar video files, and that is the reason for my suggestion.

4. Is the AVC "crash" during production or when burning ?

Win 10, i7
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much again for your reply.

If I understood your meaning properly, less time consuming method will be a sfollows:

1. Render 3 Canon files in 1440x1080 resolution (3 files are much less than 260).
2. Replace the original 1920x1080 clips with the new ones (1440x1080).
3. Try to burn the BD again.

Even faster result may be achieved if the Canon files mentioned would be omitted from the project.

Is that correct?

PS: The AVCHD project crashes while burning the BD.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
NO, please follow what Andy has suggested.

The 1440x1080 is a bastardise frame size which is 4:3 but contains the squashed 16:9 image.

Your Sony footage is the problem NOT the Canon.

Dafydd
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your assistance.
Please, confirm my suggested step-by-step actions:

1. Remove chapters and menu.
2. Split the project into several projects chapter by chapter.
3. Additionally split 3 projects where Canon files are present into 2 projects each (the beginning with Sony files, the end with Sony files).
4. Render (produce) all small projects into AVCHD (?) files with 1920x1080.
5. Create the new project.
6. Combine all new 1920x1080 files in the new project.
7. Insert Canon files in appropriate places.
8. Insert chapters and transitions.
9. Create the menu.
10. Burn the BD

Thank you.
All vodi
[Post New]
We do not have the time to conceptualize your project and what it is that you are trying to achieve.

What is being suggested is that your SONY clips be rendered (Produced) into a format that matches that of your Canon, namely, 1920x1080 aspect ratio. You need not stick to AVCHD - that makes sense only IF your end product is to be AVCHD which can be recorded on a standard DVD. If BD is your preference, then stick to mpeg2 which is the BD standard. And of course, always try a short clip first to test for the end result. The video industry is pot marked with poor standards and you have witnessed one of them. Win 10, i7
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
It worked.
Thanks everybody.