Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when creating Disc
Noelene [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2010 07:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have created a presentation (21 minutes long) with still pics and a few short videos. I have saved the presentation. Each time I attempt to create a disc - it starts going through the motions and gets to 70% - hangs - then crashes. Drops right out of Power Director.
So far I have managed to create nothing on this programme
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Noelene,
Please can you give more information?
A screenshot or two of the Edit and Create Disc workspace. A diagnostic of your system. Members need more data to see where or what the issue is. see the guides below.
Dafydd
Noelene [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am using Power Director Version 9.
I have downloaded the three update patches 2330. 2330a and 2504
[Thumb - Edit Screen.jpg]
 Filename
Edit Screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
390 time(s)
 Filename
NoeleneDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
503 time(s)
[Thumb - Create Disc.jpg]
 Filename
Create Disc.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
380 time(s)
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Until someone else comes along with more help you need to update your video drivers as yours are coming up to 4 years old.

Also unfortunately you are also using an integrated video chip instead of a proper video card. Editing video is one of the most challenging things you can do on your computer. Plus you only have 2 gig of ram also very low for editing video.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you may need to update your computer.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Noelene -

Robert's right with his comments about your PC. He usually is.

I noticed when the Create Disc module failed to initialise you were also running Firefox (downloading - 12%), Publisher & your email software.

It looks like your PC is having trouble multi-tasking!

Some things you could try:
1. Turn off all that other stuff
2. Produce your video first & use the produced file to burn your disc

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Noelene [Avatar]
[Post New]
well thats not what i wanted to hear ..........
i turned off all other programmes that were running, but it made no difference.
so i produced an .avi file and then burnt it onto a disc - but watching it back on tv - its so pix-elated, that its not watchable.
am i using the correct settings?
[Thumb - Produce Screen01.jpg]
 Filename
Produce Screen01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)
[Thumb - Produce Screen02.jpg]
 Filename
Produce Screen02.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
353 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Noelene -

It seems you've had some success - you got the disc burnt.

Assuming it is a DVD you're burning, MPEG-2 would be a better option (DVD HQ quality) as that's what it's encoded as for the disc.

Not sure why there would be pixelation. The original files are AVIs - from your camera? How does the produced file (the AVI - not the disc) look on your PC?

Cheers - Tony
Noelene [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanx for your help and patience tony.
the avi file that i have created looks fine on my pc
the original videos from my camera were .mov - power director version 4 (what i had before version 9) did not recognise .mov so i converted them to .avi but even the still photos are pixelated.
i will try using the MPEG-2 option ........ tomorrow.
Noelene [Avatar]
[Post New]
i have tried burning a dvd using MPEG-2. the pixilation is much better but no sound has recorded??
yk_nb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 09:40 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a similar problem.
A rather big and complex project wouldn't burn. It comes up to 87% of BD burning and up to 81% of DVD burning and then crashes.
My PC has the newest drivers, has 4 Gb of RAM under 64-bit Vista.
And what's important I previously had PD 8 on the same machine which worked perfectly.
Now with PD 9 it's a real trouble.
Does anybody of respected gurus have any ideas? Because it seems that Cyberlink's techsupport doesn't have any.

Thank you.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
yk_nb
Suggestion:
Split your project into two parts.
Render to BD format in Produce and with DVD render/Produce to Mpeg2.
Then bring both halves back in, add your chapters and burn to either formats/discs.

You haven't provided a screenshot of your project in Edit Workspace and you haven't mentioned what content you're editing or what's in the tracks at the 80 to 90% mark - so it's a best guess suggestion option for me

Dafydd

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 19. 2011 13:01

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neolene,
Codec recognition by PD may be the cause as to you're not getting audio.

Install FFDShow onto your system - free codec pack (whicj I have and use) and that may assist you.

Dafydd
Noelene [Avatar]
[Post New]
i agree with yk_nb - what use to be simply is now not easy or impossible. i am very disappointed with PD 9.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: i agree with yk_nb - what use to be simply is now not easy or impossible. i am very disappointed with PD 9.

Hi Noelene

Join the queue Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dear All,

Please, find below my latest results:

1. BD burning succeded by setting the burner speed to the lowest possible - 2x.
2. This did not work with DVD burner - the app hanged again. Actually it did not hang but stopped at 28% and the elasped time timer continued to go on, while the percentage remained the same.
3. The DVD burning issue was resolved by writing the DVD contents to hard drive and burning to DVD afterwards by Cyberling Hi-Def Suite.
4. The bitter problem was discovered on the successfully burnt BD (True HD, Dolby 5.1) - the quality was poor. If you will look at the screen you will notice small additional horizontal lines near vertical oblects (especially moving). This is less visible on a PC with Cyberlink Power DVD, but is clearly visible on a Sony BD player connected to a good and large TV. Inerestingly that the project consists mostly of sony camcorder .mts files and only 3 .mov files shot by a Canon photo camera. The described deficiency is not present at all on .mov files, but is clearly visible on all .mts files

Did anybody face the problem described in # 4 above?

Another general question: does anybody know a method how to convert PD 9 projects to PD 8 projects?

Thank you.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Another general question: does anybody know a method how to convert PD 9 projects to PD 8 projects?

First Pack the Project in PD 9.

Them Import the packed project in PD8, You can not use the project file, PD8 does not recognize.

PowerDirector 8 can handle all of the same Videos as PD9 But some effects and transitions will have to be re-done.

Re-edit the project, save as your project in PD8.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for your valuable input,
But please, explain what for should I pack the project then import it to PD 8 if if have to re-edit the project anyway? What's the use?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi yk-nb -

Carl was just suggesting an easy way to have all your media files (those in your timeline) in one folder to use in PD8. PD is not reverse compatible.

If your media files are already easy to locate, there isn't much point in packing the project.

Cheers - Tony
Librarian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2010 22:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I've got the same crash problem too. My machine is win7 Pro. I have and AUSUS m488 mb with AMD Phenom 1075 6 core processor, 8 g of corsair ram, 1 tb hitachi deskstar os drive and 2 more of the same in raid 0. Also have a saphire 5570 card and 2 samsung dvd burners. The machine is quick and runs everytihng else perfectly. PD9 crashes at 88% completion like clockwork. There are no messages, it just stops working. I have tried projects from 8 minutes long to 68 minuetes long, and as long as I have a menu and chapters, it chokes every time. I have also tried producing the file, dropping it onto the timeline, adding chapters and a menu, and guess what? Same thing happens. I know my dvd burmers are working properly. I can write a disk from win7 just fine. In addition to the crash on create disk, the program crashes every few minutes. All drivers are upgraded and bios's are properly flashed to the latest versions. This is my second install of PD9. It is for our church. I put PD9 on this macine (which I built) becuase I have one almost like it at home and have had fairly good results with it. However, on my home machine, it crashes more than I would like. About the only difference is the video card. My home card is an older pny quadro fx570 with win7 drivers. This is so disapppointing to me that I have changed my mind about how much PD9 is worth. Right now, if I had the choice to make all over, I would never choose a cyberlink product again. If I could afford it, I would use CS5 Production Premium. I teach video production at a local college and we use that also on editors I have built. It works very well. I don't think any software should be this "quirky" as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

If I sound frustrated, then I presented myself clearly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2011 23:39

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Have you posted another topic specific for your needs?

Have you tried all the suggestions in the forum front page?

Have you re-installed the software?

Have you attached a diagnostic file?

Have you updated your video drivers?

Have you given the necessary information to help other forum users help you???

Good luck with CS5

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!