Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 Freezing and Slow, not responding.
DevonPowell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2011 18:50 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
okay so some new info-

I found a process (windows media network sharing) that was taking up a ton of RAM- i ended this because i didn't need it

now when PD9 is running there is 1729 MB of memory in use and 2275 MB cached - this makes me think that the problem is not RAM- unless I am missing something. if I was out of RAM wouldn't it be about 4,000 MB in use?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The amount of RAM used varies by the type of files and the amount of video manipulation PD9 has to do. In your case 2 Mbytes is probably the average. During actual editing it will vary during use.

Your primary problem appears to be while video is being presented on your preview screen, so the problem may be with the graphics processor.

Try the following :
- select "Normal" preview resolution under the preview pane and try it out
- in preferences ensure that all hardware acceleration is turned off and try it out

Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
turning off the hardware acceleration worked for the freezing part! - the only trouble now is that if I don't start previewing the movie from the very beginning the song is about 4 seconds behind where it should be. ..weird.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Good to know. It confirms my suspicion that the graphics card is the issue. If you look at the specs from Cyberlink (http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html) you will notice that your graphics card is not fully compatible with PD9.

The "weird" part is the fact that your PC is simply not fast enough to simultaneously handle the video and audio tracks when being previewed. That is not an issue because what matters is the end result: your production. Once you've rendered your video (Produced) you'll probably find the result satisfactory because the two tracks will be in sync while being viewed. Give it a try on a short project. It's not your PC alone, it's the graphics card as well.

PD9 works in the background to pre-render what you are about to preview. The video track is rendered before the audio and by waiting a few seconds you may find the two in sync in preview. I run into this frequently with HD footage. Preview does not equal ACTUAL real-time view. Only in the final production does that happen and only when you view it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2011 20:47

Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
good to know. glad i can just edit without it freezing. the audio is a minor problem i can work around
Saverio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2011 23:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I am experienceing the same issue with the trail version PD 9.

My desktop Specs: Pent 4 Dual core CPU, 6 Gig of Ram, Win 7, 64 Bit, Nvidia Gforce 8500GT(1 gig Video ram & Updated driver), Hard Disk Free Space=169 Gig...

Problem: With 11 short MPG2, HDV clips (total project time of 11 clips 3min 30 sec), from Canon HV 20 (1440x1080), I am getting the same slow response & freeze as original poster: "it freezes up for a bit and the Windows7 "spinnging circle" comes up and it doesnt respond. It comes back eventually but then I try and change something and it happens again"... I also have re-installed with no sucess.

Note that I have NO editing problems with these exact same 11 clips with Corel Video Studio X2, (which I had to use to complete my project). In fact Video Studio has easily handled HD files from my HV 20 even with only 4 Gigs of Mem, and now I have 6 Gigs. It was my expectation that Power Director 9 would take even greater advantage of my respectable 64 Bit system & specs, and handle these files with much greater efficiency. However it appears that PD 9 is suprisingly inneffective on my system.

While I am certainly willing to do some experimentation to get this feature rich program to function on my system, it sounds like the valiant forum attemps to resolve this issue are going into some great depths. I am begnning to feel that I don't want to have to work so hard to get this $100 program to work at least as well as the older Video Studio X2. I believe my system specs should be adequate enough to have PD 9 working. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Obviously, more than one person has this issue. If Cyberlink can get this resolved I would be happy to buy a copy of Power Director 9
All vodi
[Post New]
Saverio,

I suggest you read the following thread. It may be related to what you are experiencing:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16186.page Win 10, i7
Saverio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2011 23:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Ureka! Looks like I found a resolution to my problem with painfully slow response whenever I tried any editing functions in my project. I went to "Preferences" > "Hardware Acceleration" > then UN-Checked the "Enable Harware Decoding". Note: I left the "Enable NVIDIA CUDA Technology..." Checked. (I have an NVIDIA Card)
I wonder if this is the cause of other similar performance problems that people are experiencing.

I will continue to try out this trail version, and hope I don't have othe major performance issues, and that the program works as advertised.
Kerbob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2007 01:49 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Alleluia! The "Enable Hardware Encoding" was my problem too!! Weird thing is that it would work ok for a few moments after start up of the app. I could make a few changes and then.. super SLOW!!! Turning off the "Enable Hardware Encoding" fixed me up nice!! Thanks for posting your fix Saverio!

I don't even remember turning this on specifically. I use this program often.
Ronal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2010 22:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just another data point: unchecking "Enable Hardware Encoding" corrected an emergent performance issue on my machine as well.

Ron Morse

Intel QX9770, 8GM RAM, ATI HD5850.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2011 13:59