Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 Freezing and Slow, not responding.
DevonPowell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2011 18:50 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 9 recently has been not working well at all, after every time I try and do anything on it (trim, move clips etc.) it freezes up for a bit and the windows7 "spinngin circle" comes up and it doesnt respond. it comes back eventually but then I try and change something and it happens again. IMPOSSIBLE to edit anything with this happening.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9550 @2.66GHz 2.67 GHz

4GB RAM

120 GB free on HD

Windows 7 Professional

GeForce GT 130M with Driver version 266.58 - supposedly the most updated version

I'm not sure what else you would need to give me suggestions- I have tried reinstalling it as well.

let me know how/what more system info to post.

thx for the help.

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Devon,

Was PD9 working well at any time? If so, what has changed? Something has changed that has affected your use of PD9.

The PD9 program did not change, so we have to look at what might have changed in the operating environment. Have you added any new programs that might be conflicting? Have you changed any hardware, drivers etc that might be the culprit? Have you added a HP Printer?

You will have to try to remember when you first noticed that PD9 got sluggish, and determine any changes you might have made around that time.

Routine maintenance (defragging, deleting temp files, disc cleanup) might help. On startup check the task manager to see if there are any processes running that are using resources. I mentioned HP printers because I have two of them connected. Each printer wants to run a process that consumes 25% processing power. I have to manually shut down the processes every time I boot up.

I cannot say what the problem is in your case, but if PD worked right for a while then started to get sluggish, it has to be something on your system that is using the resources or conflicting with PD.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
It was working pretty well the first couple time i used it. I bought it because the trial was so fast, and Premiere elements was not working at all on my computer due to an incompatable graphics driver.

The weird thing is I havent changed anything about my computer, at first I didnt have any free space on my hard drive but I cleared that up and unistalled other video editing programs, I havent added any new programs and there doesn't seem to be any processes taking up any CPU. If anything I have made the computer better. The only thing different is that this time I am editing HD video from my GOPRO camera- so it had to create shadow files- but i let them all generate before i started editing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2011 19:59

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Devon,

Something strange going on. It could be the HD files, but if my memory serves me right, there are others using the same camera/files with no problems.

PD9 has been operating on my system since installation with no problems to speak of.

Please attach/supply the following
1 - a diagnostics of your system.
2 - a screen shot of your PD9 work space showing as much as possible
3 - the build of PD9 that you are using, I am still using build 2316. The latest is 2504 but I have been a little afraid to update as I am not having problems.

I am sure with the proper information someone here will be able to help figure out what is happening.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
With your GoPro, are you using the 60p option. I know some editing programs have problems working with 60 frames/sec video.

I have been using my GoPro for my hang gliding videos for a couple of months with no problems. I do have a pretty powerful computer though and don't use shadow files.

As Hal said at least parts A & B from this post will help us.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hopefully this is what you need. .
 Filename
diagnostic 1.html
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostic1
 Filesize
3303 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
616 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot1.JPG]
 Filename
Screenshot1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
283 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot3.JPG]
 Filename
Screenshot3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Build type etc
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
You can try a system utility found at cccleaner.com - this applications does a very good job of fixing system file errors especially in the Registry which is an area most people should stay away from on their own. I've seen PD9 improve substantially on two different PC after the cleaner was run. Win 10, i7
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Devon,

I don't know how you produced the Diagnostic file, certainly not Start-Run-type "dxdiag"-enter

Not to bother, the first thing I noticed with it was a warning that your computer was experiencing excessive paging. This is when your computer runs out of memory and has to shift everything around on hard drives which is very slow.

I also noted that you are using a Notebook. Editing HD video on a notebook is not easy accept maybe for some of the latest Sandy Bridge notebooks just released in the last month or so.

Editing HD video is about the most stressful thing you can do on your computer.

So as to how to help you.

1. Do a cold boot, that is "shutdown" your computer then turn it back on, not just a re-start.

2. Close down all other programs running on your computer, anti virus, firewall, etc (make sure you are not connected to the net at the time) I see that it says you are running Apple Mobile Device on a HP computer, I don't know enough about computers to know what this is but if you could turn this off also it may help.

This will at least free up some of your ram. I would say though you are hitting the wall as to what your notebook can handle.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I used the ccleaner and also the cold boot option- neither really worked.

is there a format of video that it could edit? - could I convert my HD video to another format?

I guess i'm a bit confused as to why my computer cannot handle this- when i purchased it I thought i was getting a great graphics card and a lot of RAM with a good processor. Also i feel like if it was just my computer it would have not worked when i used the trial version. .which it did.

is there some part of my comp that does not meet the "system requirements"

thanks for the help so far. . hopefully I can get to editing soon.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Can you offer more detail as to what type of file your GoPro camera generates ? Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
30 fps H.264 mpeg4
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Devon,

One other thing to try is can you edit the default nature video which is in your media room?

Also can you shoot some 1280X720 30fps GoPro footage and see if that is easier for your notebook to edit. the higher quality video you shoot at the harder it is for your computer to work on.

One last thing I posted in another thread was back when I was using PD6 and I had a problem with a project, even after I fixed the problem the project still would not work properly. My work around was to start the project over from scratch.

So bottom line.

1. Can you edit successfully the default Nature video.

2. Shoot 10 seconds or so of 1280X720p 30fps GoPro footage and see if that works.

3. Start your project again from scratch. I mean "File" "New Project" and import the footage again.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
All vodi
[Post New]
Thank you. But I need to know a bit more on the video :

- what is the aspect ratio in pixels
- what is the bit rate of the video
- how long is the video
- are you using 32 or 64 bit version of PD9 Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
of course;

64 bit version- i have windows 7 64 bit

videos are a few minutes each - I have a bunch of them that I am just adding small parts from each. longest is probably 10 minutes but most are 30 sec - 3 min

1280x960 (i assumed that was in pixels)
data rate:11927 kbps
total bit rate: 12055 kbps

hope that is what you needed- sorry I'm not super savvy on video yet- just getting started

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2011 21:30

All vodi
[Post New]
- What is the aspect ratio of your project : 4:3 or 16:9 ?
- how long is the video ?
- to what format are you trying to render to ?
Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
aspect ratio is 4:3, the video is only 3.5 minutes long (if i were to finish it, right now it only has the intro about 15 seconds)

I haven't tried to render to anything yet, it is just a PD9 project file right now. I have added a song- but I didn't think that would be an issue.
All vodi
[Post New]
Can you direct me to any web pages where the specs for your camera are detailed ?

I suggest you post a short 1 minute sample clip for us to test as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2011 21:48

Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-helmet-hero-camera/

here is a video I made earlier this year with the camera:

http://www.vimeo.com/18353974
All vodi
[Post New]
Virgin powder ! Beautiful stuff !

Is your project set to 4:3, same as your video ?

Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
yeah that was a good day. I actually didn't use PD9 for that vid but I will post a sample clip tomorrow if i can get PD9 working (premiere elements was used for that- which became incompatible with my graphics driver so i bought PD9 and uninstalled premiere elements)