Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 Freezing and Slow, not responding.
DevonPowell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2011 18:50 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
yeah that was a good day. I actually didn't use PD9 for that vid but I will post a sample clip tomorrow if i can get PD9 working (premiere elements was used for that- which became incompatible with my graphics driver so i bought PD9 and uninstalled premiere elements)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 does not have a 1280x960 format that I can find, so the problem may be related to that. However, if you produce your file to a new format with PD9 first then you may be able to use it within PD9 in another project. A two step process. Win 10, i7
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
HDedit, I use 1280X960 4:3 aspect ratio from my GoPro, same as Devon and stretch it to 16:9 using PD and produce it to 1920X1080 AVC H.264 and everything works fine. So I don't think it is the video format which is causing the problem. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
You are converting the file which is what I am suggesting to do in this case.
Win 10, i7
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
OK I see what you mean but I also was not having any problems in the edit window before I stretched them to 16:9 and produced them to 1920X10989 My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
here is a video straight from my gopro-
 Filename
2011 02 25_0716.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93734 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
212 time(s)
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
also regarding converting the format- I just tried converting the video to mpeg2 with Anyvideoconverter and editing it that way- still the same result. I am going to try to reinstall it again so we will see.
All vodi
[Post New]
Can you offer a shorter version of your camera's output, say around 1 minute ? Win 10, i7
All vodi
[Post New]
Can you please post a shorter (1 minute) video from your camera ? Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
0:58
 Filename
GOPR2047.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
91376 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
Sorry, but because this forum has slowwww servers your file is too large. Much smaller please, perhaps around 20 Mbytes. Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
yeah no problem
 Filename
GOPR2048.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19790 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
240 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
OK, I have your video.

I have taken your clip, added it to the timeline 8 times to make it longer. Trimmed every clip. Added various corrections to all files. Produced the results to AVC, MPEG2, MP4, AVI. The result, NO hangs or misses.

If the video you posted works OK on your PC in the fashion that I used, then I'm guessing that your system is a bit over burdened with LARGER projects. It may be a combination of available memory and hard disc space.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2011 22:49

Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think the problem has to do with my RAM- doing a system diagnostic running no programs it says 80% of my memory is being used- which I find ridiculous running no programs- perhaps I have a virus? this would explain the sudden stop of functionality. I have a lot of available hard disk space (120 gb). is 4gb of RAM just not enough to run windows 7?

thanks for all the help so far- I think we're getting closer to the problem.

I've attached the diagnostic report (run through command prompt > perfmon /report)

even adding very short clips it becomes over burdened- I was only trying to make a 3min video- only got about 30 seconds in if that.
 Filename
diagnostic.html
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3152 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
470 time(s)
Robert2 S
[Post New]
You have hit the nail on the head Devon, I think it may be time for you to take your computer to a local technician to solve the ram issue. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Glastarflyer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 17:30 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I don't think this is necessarily a PC problem. I have followed advice to expand the swap file and set it to a large, fairly fixed size and PD still starts to chew hard disk and will not respond for minutes, even with small files. Only option appears to be a complete unisntall and reinstall of PD9.
I am also running Windows 7 64-bit, though I had the same problem in the 32 bit Win 7. No shadow files. And the remedy is the same. Uninstall - reinstall. Just reinstalling over the old install will not fix it.
And I have found that the original PD release build is more stable than 2504, the current build. Reinstalling may or may not last a couple of 4 minute videos before it's time to reinstall again.
I have also found that if a project is crashed, you better resave the project with a new name, or you will probably end up with a corrupt project and have to start over again.

The unresponsive system issue is more noticeable when mixing clips from different sources. I have a GoPro HD and a Canon HF-100 and mixing the content is essential, as I have the GoPro on a wing mount on the airplane and use the Canon for onsite filming. Still, the systems goes unresponsive even with just one type of file on the timeline.

In my case, the system crashes if I try to adjust the sound volume on more than one clip in sequence. I need to lower the volume on one clip, then do something else, go back and adjust the volume on the next clip. As soon as I try marking one clip, adjust volume, mark the next clip and then as soon as I touch the volume lever, PD will crash.
In general, you need to work slowly. Quick switches between tasks and panes may also generate a crash, though it is very hard to reproduce this issue. I just have a feeling that PD9 is generally very unstable.

Right now, I have spent more than 20 hours on a project that appears to have gone corrupt. I do save new project files along the way and I am hoping that I will not loose more than 2-3 hours work, this time.

All in all, I feel like I am spending more time beta testing than producing videos, which is kind of frustrating.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
In my opinion when "doing a system diagnostic running no programs it says 80% of my memory is being used" is a computer problem for this particular poster. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Glastarflyer ,
Thank you for sharing your own difficulties. Your editing project, content data, PC and situation are not similar to the original thread starter. I suggest you initiate your own new topic. Please provide fuller details including screenshots, diagnostic and sample files. A full description of your situation along with a list of actions that can be used to re-create the fault is essential. members can then analysis your post and try to replicate the issue and perhaps suggest a solution.
Thanks
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2011 06:38

All vodi
[Post New]
Devon,

PD9 typically uses between 1-4 Gbytes of RAM when editing HD. With your video I doubt it it exceeds 3 Gbytes, INCLUDING about 1 Gbyte overhead by Win7. But, your system is marginal in this case and probably needs a bit more RAM if possible. Win 10, i7
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
cool, thanks for the help. I will try to figure out the RAM issue and let you know how it goes.
DevonPowell [Avatar]
[Post New]
okay so some new info-

I found a process (windows media network sharing) that was taking up a ton of RAM- i ended this because i didn't need it

now when PD9 is running there is 1729 MB of memory in use and 2275 MB cached - this makes me think that the problem is not RAM- unless I am missing something. if I was out of RAM wouldn't it be about 4,000 MB in use?