Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Copyright notice when trying to capture home videos
[Post New]
Everytime I try to capture old home videos from my VCR, the software pops up a message stating that it is copyrighted material and will not record. What can be done to fix this? Obviously, none of my home videos are copyrighted. If I begin the video playback before hitting record, it will start recording correctly, but the moment there is a pause in the playback, the copyright notice pops up. If I start the playback after I hit the record button, the majority of the time I receive the copyright notice immediately. I really need to get my old videos converted. Help please....

Brian
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Brian. I believe I read about this problem either here or in the DirectorZone forums. I believe Dafydd replied to that user that many videos have "noise" at the beginning of the VHS tape which prompts PD9 to believe that is copyrighted. If I remember corrrectly, he advised that user to fast forward a bit into the VHS and then try a capture to get past the "noise" at the beginning of the VHS tape.

Alternately, you could try a capture with less sensitive "software." I don't use PD9 for my captures - didn't have any luck with it, so bought a software product specifically designed to capture video from VHS, that comes with the analog to digital converter device. It was about $100, but it works like a charm. If you want the details, please send me a private message, as I don't think advertising non-Cyberlink products is encouraged on this forum.

Let us know how you make out and perhaps one of the many fine experts on this forum (I am just a newbie) will be able to assist you further.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
A couple of links . . .

"Cannot capture video with Dazzle DVC-107 device" - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14666.page#70429

Dafydd's comment about "noise" - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15908.page#77828 Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
It may not be a big help, but most Hauppage video cards seem to ignore copyright/macrovision signals and simply do what they are supposed to do: capture the video. Once on disc you may use PD without problems.

Alternatively, if you can record your stuff onto a DVD recorder (through its AUX or CAM inputs) and that is not so sensitive to noise, you may record your movies in MPEG2 format on a DVD disc and subsequently rip it to hard drive for any further editing.

Both ways worked for me.