Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot capture video with Dazzle DVC-107 device
pix123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2010 09:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am having problems capturing video from my Dazzle DVC-107 device. I choose the "TV signal" to record from and I can see what I'm trying to record. However, I can't record using the MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 profiles, as they basically drop all the frames and I get no video. I'm trying to record some Nintendo Wii game play.

When I try AVI format, any compression codec I use or even no compressor results in an error message that says the following:

"An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format."

Same message whether I use the PD 9 Deluxe or Ultra version. The result is me unable to record or save anything I try to capture from the device.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix this problem so that I can capture video? Is the Dazzle device even compatible with PD 9?

Thanks
[Post New]
Can you please post a few things for us to help. Let's start with, a DXDIAG and the build of Powerdirector you are using.

Click POWERDIRECTOR in the upper right hand of the program to see the build (I am running Ultra64 9.0.0.2330)

Next create and attach a DXDIAG file. Instructions are found at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page (SEE PART B)
pix123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am running PD Deluxe 9.0.0.2330 currently

DxDiag file in attachment

Filename
pix123DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag text file
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
[Post New]
There have been many discussions of the dazzle device in different versions of Powerdirector. Cranston found this in an earlier post:

Try the search feature to see if it helps you find more.
pix123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Took a look, most of the results seem to go on PD 7 and other devices. It may end up me using a combination of programs to capture video (i.e. Pinnacle/WMM for capturing, then edit with any number of programs).

I may try out the Ultra version if it has faster editing compared to the Deluxe 32 bit software since I can't capture video with any compression codec anyway.
MostlyHarmless
Newbie Location: Pennsylvania Joined: Dec 07, 2010 00:01 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It may end up me using a combination of programs to capture video (i.e. Pinnacle/WMM for capturing, then edit with any number of programs).

Use whatever does the best "capture job". Then switch to your preferred/best "editing/authoring" environment.

Capturing is just the process of getting the video in the best possible quality into a file, that the downstream applications support. Devices like your Dazzle 107 attempt to convert an analog video/audio signal into digital data. Whatever it takes, try to get as much of that as possible. I used a DVC 100 and I seem to recall that there was a command line capture utility that performed way better than anything else. Not that it wouldn't freeze like the rest of the Dazzle/Pinnacle stuff randomly does, but the rate of dropped frames was way better as long as it kept capturing.

If you really want to capture reliably for 2+ hours at a time (like an entire movie), I think you need to step up to something that does hardware compression. I did, and I'm not looking back.

Jan Save WEB space - use the backside of your postings too!
pix123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any suggestions on stuff you've tried for hardware compression? Also, is the command line capture utility a completely separate program or is it to be used with whatever capture device I have?

I'm probably looking to get 15-20 minute recording sessions given my computer loves to blue screen for no reason.
MostlyHarmless
Newbie Location: Pennsylvania Joined: Dec 07, 2010 00:01 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Any suggestions on stuff you've tried for hardware compression? Also, is the command line capture utility a completely separate program or is it to be used with whatever capture device I have?

I'm probably looking to get 15-20 minute recording sessions given my computer loves to blue screen for no reason.

The hardware compression I'm talking about is done on the capturing device, before the captured video data is actually sent over the USB connection.

In my case, I use an Hauppauge HD PVR. That thing sends an H.264 AVC encoded video stream over the USB. Your DVC sends an uncompressed stream of 640x480 or maybe something even more demanding. That's not a fair game, because in my case, a netbook can do the recording as a background task just fine while in your case, even a high end PC would have trouble doing anything else on the side.

I only vaguely recall that command line stuff, since it was really cumbersome to use and the DVC-100 never actually lived up to its promises anyway. I will dig into some of my archived "driver" folders and PM you if I find something interesting.

Jan Save WEB space - use the backside of your postings too!