Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when creating Disc
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Have you posted another topic specific for your needs?

Have you tried all the suggestions in the forum front page?

Have you re-installed the software?

Have you attached a diagnostic file?

Have you updated your video drivers?

Have you given the necessary information to help other forum users help you???

Good luck with CS5

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Librarian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2010 22:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi

What does that mean? PD9 crashes on create disk. This is a thread discussing that topic.

Did a search for this topic.

No. I just installed it on a new machine on saturday

I guess I'm stupid on this one. What kind of diagnostic file.

Did you read my post closely. I stated that all drivers and bios's are latest available versions.

What other information do you need. I gave you my machine specs. I stated that there is no messsage when it crashes. If you can tell me what you need to know, I will gladly give it.

Good luck with CS5
Already have that.

yk_nb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 09:40 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
To CubbyHouseFilms

Do you happen to work for Cyberlink technical support?
They also ask the same set of silly question without even caring to read the initial message.

The genleman definitely answered all your questions before you had asked them, Read his post first and then ask questions.

I'm not quite sure about CS5 (I will download the trial version today), but as for PD9 I'm quite positive now - it's a buggy product from upside down. It's not worth the money I paid for it. I am terribly sorry for the time (several days) I spent editing the project I cannot now burn.

The attitude of Cyberlink techsupport annoys me. I have the ticket on the issue of crashes while disk burning since February 13. And nothing was done until now. A couple of different guys asked me their standard set of silly questions. What's most funny the second guy answering my second message with dxdiag file attached demanded that I should send him the dxdiag file!

I beleive all people who value their time should abandon Cyberlink and let them go bankrupt.
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Librarian

Please, advise if you are happy with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.
I tried CS4 some time ago and found the interface somewhat ugly and not convenient.

Thank you.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Librarian and yk_nb

1. No, I do not work for CL.

2. Yes, I did read the thread, hence my questions and the recommendation to post a separate topic with ALL the relevant information as laid out in the forum guidelines as there are many users who are very, very experienced with new installations.

3. I find PD9 'buggy' too, that's why I have 'gone' back to PD8.

4. I couldn't agree more about the lack lustre performance of tech support.

5. One of the reasons I 'like' this product is because of this forum and the friendly nature of the most of the 'members'.

6. I agree with the interface on CS4 is not the best, neither is Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro. Powerdirector has the easiest to use - by far.

Have a great day.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
You want to compare a $1,333 program to a $100 program...good luck, and I bet you will find just as many problems on their forum. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
To CubbyHouseFilms

Please, rest assured in my friendliest attitude towards you and other misfortune fellow users of PD. I sincerely sympathize with you and other guys.
There was nothing personal in my post and my annoyance was directed to CL solely.

What's your opinion on the most stable release of PD 8? Is that 2704?
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi yk_nb

The new update for PD8 is version 3022. Please see link to latest patch.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

yk_nb [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Robert2 S

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 is worth $ 799.00 (http://www.adobe.com/go/buypremiere_pro?promoid=FCRTG). It's also a LOT, but it's not as much as you indicated.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
It maybe worth that to US citizens but unfortunately here in Australia it is $1,333 and that is when our Aussie dollar is at over $1.00 US.

I won't post the link as it is frowned upon to post competitors programs here.

Honestly though until camera manufacturers get their acts together and get a decent normality between supposed same video formats, no matter what program you use to edit the videos it is going to be a lucky dip. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Here, here Robert couldn't agree more Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi

What does that mean? PD9 crashes on create disk. This is a thread discussing that topic.

Did a search for this topic.

No. I just installed it on a new machine on saturday

I guess I'm stupid on this one. What kind of diagnostic file.

Did you read my post closely. I stated that all drivers and bios's are latest available versions.

What other information do you need. I gave you my machine specs. I stated that there is no messsage when it crashes. If you can tell me what you need to know, I will gladly give it.

Good luck with CS5
Already have that.

Hi,
Please provide additional information as requested by Neil. At the start of this forum are "sticky" posts with guide info and what's needed from members.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15688.page

I'm concerned at the problem you face. Please can you supply screenshots of the Edit workspace and information/images on the menu selection you are adding? I've read reports that a DZ downloaded menu can cause problems for editors. I'd also like you to carry out a basic DVD test as mentioned in Part H - page: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

A diagnostic of your system has been requested by Neil, it really will help you - please provide. That's Part B. Also mentioned in the guide below.

One method to show members what happens is to provide a video screen capture, please read this thread: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15813.page

Members can only help if information is provided when requested and in the format we can all comprehend.

All information can be added to a post as an attachment.

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2011 09:51

Librarian [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, here we go. I went home around midnight and checked the build on my home machine. It was 2316. After many attempts, I was able to access the 2405 build and download it. I then installed it on my home machine. After that, I set up a timeline with about 44 minutes of my grandson's basketball game, placed one title at the beginning and 4 chapters at each quarter. The video inserted was in h.264 format at 720p resolution shot on a sanyo xacti camera. I have used this camera and the resulting files on PD 8 and build 2316 of PD9 with good results. It then attempted a burn to file since I had left my spindle of disks (and coasters from failed burns) at church. The program stopped working at 20% completion and froze the entire system so that I had to do a hard reset. I don't like to do that, but had no choice. I am attaching a diagnostic file and event logs. I don't have a screen shot of what happened. These events are new to me on my home machine. I had never experienced a PD9 crash with build 2316 that had completely locked my machine. I hope the information I am attaching is useful in solving this problem. I paid for the church's new copy of PD9 out of pocket and cannot in good conscience ask them to pay for a program that won't do what it is supposed to do. If I can't make it work, I will eat the cost of it and try something else. These are similar events to those that have been happening with the new machine and PD9 installation at church.
 Filename
more don willliams(Librarian).evtx
[Disk]
 Description
more event logs
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
311 time(s)
 Filename
Don Williams (Librarian)DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
diagnostic file
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
388 time(s)
 Filename
don Williams (Librarian)event logs.evtx
[Disk]
 Description
event logs
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
309 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2011 14:45

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Don,
Please read:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15413.page

I have a Sanyo Xacti http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15675.page Please confirm the format used is .mp4

I would like a screen shot of the workspace .... if you still have the problem.

Please make sure you've installed the latest patch, another patch will be released very soon.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-update.do

Dafydd
Librarian [Avatar]
[Post New]
My xacti is one with a longer lens than the one you have reviewed. It definitely records in H.264/Mp4. Resolution is 720p. I've been shooting football games mostly for high school and small colleges since 1973. When I started doing it, I used first a Bolex H16m 16mm camera with a wonderful Pan Cinor lens. I wore that one out and moved the Pan Cinor to a B&H with 400' mags and a motor drive. Film became too expensive for the teams and we went to video. With the Xacti, I am grateful be able to just copy files to my hard disk and begin editing. Chip cameras are the way to go right now.

I have installed the 2504 build on my home machine and that is when I really began to have problems. Before that, on the 2316 build, I had relatively few crashes and almost never when building a CD. I built a 3 disc set for my grandson's pewee football team from all the games I had shot the whole season. I built all of those and ran at least 15 sets of them without a crash. After the 2405 install, I tried a simple build of one game and it choked at 20% completion when building to a folder. I think my drivers are all up to date including the mb bios. All video for those discs were done on the Sanyo Xacti.

The reason I chose PD was that I had bought the new Xacti camera and the only CS version available to me was CS3 at the time. It hates H.264/Mp4 files as most editing packages of that vintage do. I did not want to have to spend the time using a 3rd party file converter every time I wanted to edit. BTW, CS3 worked great with AVI files. I never had crashes.

If there is another patch coming soon, I hope it is VERY soon and resolves the issues I am having. I try my best to keep my machine updated. I would like very much to keep using and promoting PD9, but these recent problems make that very hard to do.

Thanks very much for your help. I will try to do something about a screen shot, but I wonder how to do that when the machine freezes up and I either have to use Task manager to kill the program or do a hard reset. One other thing that would be nice about PD is that I would like to be able to keep both PD8 and PD9 on my macine. When I did the 9 install it wanted to wipe out my 8 version. With adobe, several versions can be maintained at the same time.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Don,
A screenshot of the Edit Workspace - where you edit the video.

Please clean up your computer - delete the content of the temp directory and defragment your hard drives.

I'd also like you to carry out a simple possible workaround.
1. Select Produce > Mpeg2 > DVD HQ and output an mpeg2 file - was that successful?
2. What's the file size?
3. Bring the mpeg2 file back into PD9 and add your chapters.
4. Select Create Disc and opt for DVD.
Was that successful?

What drive are you sourcing the video to and from? I note that your E drive has zero free space.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 06:44

Librarian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Don,

Please clean up your computer - delete the content of the temp directory and defragment your hard drives.
I doubt there is much in the temp files. It was brand new last Friday night.

1. Select Produce > Mpeg2 > DVD HQ and output an mpeg2 file - was that successful?
Did that already. It will produce the file which is around 3.7 gigabytes, Yes, it was dvd HQ. When I dropped it on the timeline and added chapters and a menue it choked again at 88%. It will produce a dvd if I add no chapters and select no menu.
2. What's the file size?
see above.
See above. As I said, I had already tried that (3 times)
Alread tried that. See above.
Was that successful?
Nope. See above

What drive are you sourcing the video to and from? I note that your E drive has zero free space.
The source drive is drive F: which is a Raid0 configuration using 2 1 TB Hitachi deskstars. Same as I have on my home machine. Works great.

The drive with 0 bytes available is because it is a second Samsung DVD Burner, just like the first one (whci is the same as D drive (also a Samsung)

Dafydd

Ia am attaching event logs and dx diag file per your request.
 Filename
Don Williams (Librararian) event log.txt
[Disk]
 Description
recent event log from this PM
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
656 time(s)
 Filename
Don Williams (LIbrarian) 64bitDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64 bit diags.
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
298 time(s)
Librarian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Don,

2. What's the file size?
Was that successful?

Dafydd

OK, I have attached a screen shot of my editing space. I don't see anything out of the ordiinary. BTW, I checked the build number on this machine. It is 2504. That is the same build that started problems on my home machine. If I can find the install set, I will go back to 2316. I saw that you looked at my diag file. If you look at the event log, you will see, that it records a fault in PD9.

Also, I received a reply to my tech support request. It was all about using high quality discs ans not touching the surface. I can't believe the tech support guy even read my request very closely. I am using Memorex discs and I know better than to contaminate surfaces. Even if I did, the chances that the software would choke at exactly 88% every time are astronmical. I have a stack of about 10 coasters to prove that it does the same thing every time.

Your suggestion of a work around was thoughtful. As I said in my earlier post, I had already thought of it too and tried it 3 times. However, why should any of us have to do that when the software should work fine the right way? I've been using digital editors ever since the first very crude choices became affordable. My first personal machine that had an editing capture card had a gigantic 1 gig hard drive for which I paid a handsome price. I know that video editing is one of the most stressful things one can ask a computer to do. That is why mine are as robust as I can afford to make them. The motherboard has won a bunch of awards. I looked that up. It is well thought of. The drives get really good reviews. Win 7 pro is installed properly. Over the years,I've installed windows more times than I can count. The video card, although not professional grade, is pretty good. My home machine has a Quadro FX570 card which is a work station class card. I jsut inistalled CS5 and it runs just fine. However both machines choke on PD9 every time. Considering how picky CS5 software is and that it runs fine on the same configuration, you would think that a less amibitious package like PD9 would have no problems at all. If Cyberlink is having an issue with this build(and I am certain they are) the honorable thing to do would be to admit it and say this is a known issue. Then fix it. I am sorry to rant about this but my patience with what I thought was good software is about to run out.
[Thumb - Screen shot of editing space2-23-2011 10-51-20 PM.jpg]
 Filename
Screen shot of editing space2-23-2011 10-51-20 PM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Don Williams (Librarian) screen shot of editing space
 Filesize
387 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
208 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 23:29

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Don,
While you've written your rant, it is only now you have provide a screenshot of what I first asked for!
I see you have shadow edit files in operation, I suggest you uncheck that option in Preferences.

Regarding your motherboard comments. A forum member here recently built their own AMD based PC with the latest motherboard. PD9 crashed at various points in production when the system was stressed. He stripped his system down to bare bones - input software and tested. Added a number of bios updates for the motherboard. PD9 crashed. After going through everything, the Motherboard, with rave reviews, was the cause of the problem. The board was ripped out and replaced by a different model - no problems since. PD9 is a 64bit software which does use all of your resources and does stress them.... and will find the weak spot other 32bit programs might not. Now I'm not passing comment on your system but I'm telling you to look at your system some more. This isn't happening to everyone ... it is happening to you and two near identical systems.

As this forum isn't technical support - we're just video editors, you should contact support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Best of luck

Dafydd
Edited the text and added a bit more.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 24. 2011 04:58

Librarian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is an update to my situation.

I tried unchecking the shadow file box. It made no difference.
I cleaned up my disks and deleted cache and temp files. It made no difference.
I checked my disk and it was alread 100% defragged due to my scheduling of same.

I re read the post from the tech support people. They advised that I had to uninstall any other DVD burning software. I decided not to do that quite yet. In fact I had a Samsung OEM version of Nero9 which came with the 2 DVD burners on our church machine. I wanted to make sure I could burn a disc with that at least. I dropped an mpeg2 file I built on PD9 onto the timeline and put 4 chapters and a title in it. The disc burned perfectly.

As I was installing Nero9, I noticed that the disc made mention of a way to upgrade the firmware on their burners. My home machine does not say it is Samsung on the front of the drive, but upon visiting the web site, I discovered that my home machine's drive is, in fact, an oem samsung drive. Software was available free on the web site to upgrade the firmware. It is called Live update. I installed that software and it took only a few minutes to upgrade the firmware on the drive. It is, BTW, about 5 months old. I rebooted to finish the firmware upgrade process

I then started PD9 and unchecked the box that allows parallel processing and hardware acceleration through my CPU and graphics card respectively.

I built a short program consisting of H.264 (mp4) files totaling 234 mb in length with 4 chapters and a scrolling title.

I went to the Create a disc module and proceeded to attempt a burn. I did not pre produce it. The disc burned perfectly.

I then went back through the process again each time re checking the parallel processing and hardware acceleration boxes. Again, the discs burned perfectly. Although I haven't done it yet, I suspect I can re check the shadow files box as well.

I will also be visiting our church later on this evening to upgrade the two burners on it as well. Unless I post otherwise here, it is a success.

I have never in my experience had to upgrade DVD burner firmware. It is entirely new to me. In my book, that eliminates problems with my Asus M4A88 motherboard. It also eliminates problems with Win 7 and with my Quadro Graphics card.

I have noticed that even more people are having this same problem. I saw it on another similar thread and will post on that one too. Hopefully, it will help others. Upgrading the burner firmware may have been mentioned here, but I haven't seen it. If this is an issue that needs to be addressed by a number of PD9 users, it would be nice if Cyberlink would put out an advisory to that effect.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this board.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
Hi Don

Thanks for the follow up. How bizzare about the burning software - it's the first I've hearx of it.

There is no need to re-check the shadow edit files box. Just leave it blank as your computer has enough 'power'. By ticking the box with a 'powerful' computer you will only slow it down.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel