Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 trial version - findings of a newbie
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Enclosed my findings of using PD9 in its trial version. The comments were noted down over the last 4 weeks although I've used PD9 only during 2 weeks due to other activities. They are too numerous to enter in a short post, so I enclosed them as a PDF file.

The findings follow the PD9 steps and each is commented on with "Liked" and "Shortcomings" remarks. Some of the latter may have a workaround that I am unaware of and did not find in this forum (which is really useful) or found out by myself. In that case, feel free to add corrections as replies to this note.

I hope these findings are useful for some other newbies and trial users to make up their mind.

Bottomline: I like the product for its Editing and Produce features, not so much for the (often not functioning) Create Disc features that I tried (DVD and AVCHD).

And some recent rants in this forum about being unable to download the paid version after payment and no helpful customer service response to this, makes me doubt if I want to jump at this stage. Cyberlink should take note of customer feelings if they care about their product and its users.
 Filename
cyberlink PD9.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1018 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
You have done a substantial amount of testing on PD9 and it shows in the detail of your documentation. Well done !

You will find that many of the seasoned users in this forum will agree with what you have written on PD9. There are a few cases where there are know workarounds. And there are known bugs that are responsible for some of the problems noted. PD9 is not as bug free as PD8 was - it's a work in progress since it is the first issue of a true 64 bit version.

User such as yourself can help in ironing out the demons within PD9 and making it better than most editors of it's kind. Win 10, i7
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Very well done.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PD9 is not as bug free as PD8 was - it's a work in progress since it is the first issue of a true 64 bit version.

User such as yourself can help in ironing out the demons within PD9 and making it better than most editors of it's kind.

I beg to differ in my case. PD9 is way better than PD8 which required me to save steps every 2 minutes on the risk of the inevitable crash that would come. PD9 hasn't crashed on me... that is...as long as I don't start it by double clicking a project file. I applaud Cyberlinks for daring to rewrite the entire product from scratch (perhaps PowerDVD could be next). And currently it beats any other product (on the parts where it works) I tried and threw out for sluggishness, crashes, etc.

I really like what I can do for editing (shortcomings excepted) but the end product creation sucks and that of course is why we use tools like PD9 in the first place. I need DVD images/BluRay images on hard disc and media and it really is short on delivering there without exiting through "produce" and go the shareware route.

I'd love to help with the ironing of the bugs as regular user, but this does require a Cyberlink that takes note. And from some responses in this forum I'm not sure they do other than through filing bug reports (and hopefully then do remove the bug). I've been in the s/w industry for a long time and always looked at user's responses - to get a feel for how a product was doing and which way it ought to go. In addition to bug reports for the official process. Should I forward the findings to some official landing spot (where?) at Cyberlink?
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Some comments: Your analysis pdf was well written and focussed. Senior members will read and pass to Cyberlink surely.
This forum is an open discussion by users, for users and as such we get everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. from simple bugs to outrageous rants. I will re-read the pdf later and maybe PM you. Meanwhile, my response is,

PD8 and PD9 are both usefull and powerfull editing tools. As windows software they seem to behave well with what I would call any "standard" pc loaded with as much ram as the user can afford. Gaming PCs with extreme performance curve video cards or accelerators seem to be quirky and often cause difficult to define bugs.

I say this because I am one of, I think, 50 -100 unpaid testers headed up by Dafydd who evaluated PD7, PD8 and PD9 before they were each released. Over the years my PCs have changed but mostly have been either off-the-shelf designs like Dell or clones made by reputable mail-order companies who sold thousands of the models they offered on the market at the time. None of the PCs I have owned were racehorse breed and some were distinctly lacking in ram and processor speed.

In use I learned to not drag my mouse too fast in PD8 or it would often freeze. When I eventually got a PC with more than 2GB ram PD8 worked so much better.

When we came to test PD9 it started off really buggy but as we reported errors via Dafydd the product got revised until its eventual release. I think that was about 18 weeks in testing. The quirky PCs threw up lots of 'bugs'.

The way to report bugs today is to report them here with a detailed description and possibly a web location where we can download any sample video files, hopefully small as possible.Other people can then evaluate the stated bug in their own environment and suggest help if possible and one of the senior forum users will then report it back to Cyberlink who also monitor this forum. Please remember that all the bugs you find are premised on your files edited in your PC with your hardware and your software revision, including video drivers, codecs and hardware so it might not be easily repeatable elsewhere.

Finally I think that Cyberlink is attempting to market to a huge spectrum of users from low-budget students with cell-phone video who want a quick edit wizard and post to YouTube on up to users like me who want complete editing control without buying something like FinalCut. For its cost, PD9 comes remarkably close to that with multiple track overlays and audio splitting etc. I'd like a better chroma-key but that may come in Version 10 (Hint, hint Dafydd)

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I meanwhile purchased PD9 (download and installation went without trouble). A project made under the trial version opened and I started to rebuild the output (removes the "trial" label), but I found some surprises (for the moment at least)

- The licensed PD9 version is running 9.0.0.2316 (as indicated from the "Powerdirector" text button top right).
I believe the trial had a newer version (24something), so I'll go look for an update. Strange that downloads not always provide the latest edition

- custom templates for H.264/AVCHD allows for bitrates from 200 kB onwards whereas the trial did not go lower than 6000
- the eye/cross icon is present again for the title bar
- unfortunately producing the 90 minutes video stopped after 3% (froze) if all h/w video encoders were disabled
- the same movie froze after 33% when hardware video encoder was enabled

But this is what version 2316 has. Some may be corrected in a newer release.
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
I am gonna say something publicly here of which I have absolutely no proof except a gut feeling.
When I first started using PowerDirector 9 with Vista Home Edition I too got stalls and freezes and all manner of nasty problems. I kept using it on moderately small projects and one or two 30 minute videos in an effort to define what was going on. To my surprise within a week the problems seemed to have gone away.

I dont know if its Vista maybe shuffling its internal list of DLLs or Registry entries or is it the hard drive deleted file space being re-used by Vista or what. All I know is it seems to have settled down and stayed that way.
If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Dickflyfisherman [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: May 29, 2008 09:34 Messages: 197 Offline
[Post New]
The forum is great the products purpose is great

Cyberlinks Customer Service may be one part time person in Tawiann

to describe their R&D in regards to customer service

RUDE AND DISINTERESTED

They brag "quick to develop and get on the market

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=power+director+9+32bit+64+bit&cp=29&qe=cG93ZXIgZGlyZWN0b3IgOSAzMmJpdCA2NCBiaXQ&qesig=jeNWBepNJncRdDgsSVcguw&pkc=AFgZ2tkQ3p89S9lVCQvat0ppg-DJf8RRFZlF7hk8uQzJJPN7vMtBdbN2ND55DAWRUZjyCx9I43ytAyvhQ-rMJYbvYwAlPk6QuA&pf=p&sclient=psy&rlz=1W1ADRA_en&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=power+director+9+32bit+64+bit&pbx=1&fp=cb921b9e247079c3

We the paying customer suffer

They tout "frugality" in their business plan

We the paying customer suffer

Mrs Chang needs her butt kicked

can anyone verify that they do have 500 employees

Apparently a part-ttime wannabe programmer "converted" to 64 bit probably took him/her a whole hour...what a joke

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2011 08:20

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Uh-oh... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I for one am tired of all the comments not relating to helping people with program features. It seems that some members are taking up all of the forum resources with trashing Cyberlink. I for one have used version 7, 8 & 9 and never had a problem with downloading the software from Digital River, the download site for Cyberlink. Microsoft uses the same site for there Operating Systems for system developers and I have always had success with my downloads. When I download the programs, the first thing I do is back them up to another hard drive and copy them also to a DVD including the activation numbers.
I have ran into minor glitches with all software from all of the companies, including Cyberlink but I have been able to work through the problems and am happy with Power Director version 9.
It is not as good as some of the professional editing software, but for the money I find it very superior to a similar priced product.
A lot of members have questions on how to use all of the features of Power Director and do not want to have to sift through all of the remarks not relating to helping find answers. If one has a gripe about Cyberlink, either not pruchase the product or get a refund and move on.
I find the article by Decklerk very good by the way.

Thanks and have a nice day.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2011 08:38

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
[Post New]
yea me too but I think I started with 4

what the" help" is downloading software something new and untried?

I alsways bought disks but Mr Chang gets another 25 cents by eliminating the cost of the disk

and the paying customerrs suffer
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did find that there was an update from PD9 as 2316 as downloaded to the current version 9.0.0.2504 (identical to the trial).
After the updade, the production of the H264 version worked - it took a 90 minute video about 96 minutes to convert.

However: this newer version suddenly limits the bitrate to 6000 kbps or higher - as did the trial. Somewhere in the upgrade the (for me wanted) feature to allow lower bitrates simply because some tv program captures use lower bitrates seems to have gone. So in a next update I hope to see the lower bitrates back too.

Something very odd is that the Cyberlink update software page lists the 2504 file, but if you try to download it using IE8, it aborts the download prematurely, leaving you with a 5 kB file that is clearly corrupt. I tried the download on another pc (laptop) using IE8 but same result. So on that laptop I installed Firefox as another browser and... voila: the 105 Mb update file came in correctly but slowly. It looks as if the Cyberlink site somehow disconnects the IE8 download - perhaps an acknowledge signal timed out?
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I first started using PowerDirector 9 with Vista Home Edition I

I'm using Windows XP SP3 which runs fine for most/all I do.
I've seen enough problems with Vista in my neighbourhood of friends to avoid it where I can (as I did the ME version) on my current pc's. Partly since some software or drivers won't run under higher versions of Windows (such as Ulead's VideoEditor and DVD Workshop, where at some point I hope PD9 will do those jobs, but not yet).

I'll probably go to Windows 7 when a new pc seems needed.
[Post New]
Word from the wise

By supporting Cyberlink and dissing the rage of the paying customer, you are actually contributing to the demise of the company

"YES" men have ruined many fine ideas and corporations

"Don't tell me my house is on fire!!!............................tell me how nice it looks when it's burning

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2011 11:13

deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dick,

Can we skip this ranting on Cyberlink in this post? This post is not about that. Your initial post is and seems more suitable to keep a thread in a discussion.

Your initial posts did make me worry but I tried it in the end after going through several other posts in this forum.
And I got the software and the update (though that did not go completely smoothly) and at least sofar things work the way the trial worked. And stuff doesn't that didn't in the trial. But to go ahead was my decision. Hoping things will get better. And with 3 new builds since December it shows on one hand that quite a few changes had to be made from the original release (which is not a good sign) but at least they try and implement them, removing some bugs at least in relative short timespan (which is good).
[Post New]
I have zero problems with forum members BUT with the situation as bad sas it is immediate attention is required!!

Cyberlink is as much as saying that the customers time and efforts are WORTH NOTHING

If I were a shareholder I soon would not be a shareholder

BUt OK I will staY OFF THIS POST

THE FORUM REGULARS SHOULD GO ON STRIKE UNTIL mrs chang pays attention (small letters intentiona)l

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2011 12:32

K L V [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2011 02:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I buy an upgrade/product from Cyberlink, downloading the paid version is a great task. It will never be possible to download in a single session. When trying the second time, system will not show the links for downloading the paid version. We wil have to mail to the support and wait till we get a response from them...

Yesterday I bought online PD9 upgrade from pd8 that too with extended support. After the first try, the download link got vanished and not able to acces the link from the mail. Have put mail y'day itself and waiting for the solution from support. This has happened when I bought the earlier version also.

Why not the support look into this problem and resolve the issue ...

Very sad ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2011 04:47

K L V [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Whenever I buy an upgrade/product from Cyberlink, downloading the paid version is a great task. It will never be possible to download in a single session. When trying the second time, system will not show the links for downloading the paid version. We wil have to mail to the support and wait till we get a response from them...

Yesterday I bought online PD9 upgrade from pd8 that too with extended support. After the first try, the download link got vanished and not able to acces the link from the mail. Have put mail y'day itself and waiting for the solution from support. This has happened when I bought the earlier version also.

Why not the support look into this problem and resolve the issue ...

Very sad ...
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is odd indeed.

When I purchased my version, I got a confirmation screen in the IE8 browser with 3 "download" buttons. One for the PD9 program, one for its content pack and the third as the promotional extra "holiday package".

Only two of which could be started simultaneously. I made a printout of those pages (in PDF format, but paper would do too) not to loose any of the information, including the order ID and stuff you need if you have to contact Cyberlink in case of problems.

A few moments later an email arrived confirming my purchase and with a repeat of the download links and the license key. So my printout was not really needed. But better be safe than sorry.

If you did not get an email perhaps your internet provider or some spam filters of your own intercepted the email, marked it as "spam" and did not forward it to your mailbox. This has happened to me several times in the past for normal confirmations of trustworthy companies and the provider needed to make exceptions for these to bypass the rules.
Some spam filters have strange "rules" by which they determine something as spam. E.g. the presence of multiple URL links in the message, the message being composed mostly of a picture (I think the confirmation email looks like this), the sender address does not accept email itself (another frequent reason), mail was sent by distribution list etc.

So check with your provider and ask if their spam logs show an email to you coming from cyberlink.us.cs@digitalriver.com with title "CyberLink Corp. US – Order confirmation for order #9999999999" (insert or leave out your own orderID).

Somewhere during the already started download the webpage with the download and confirmation information timed out and disappeared (that is odd...). But the first two downloads continued and completed. I needed the email confirmation to start the third download and that completed too.

It was with the public Cyberlink website where I got problems to download the update to build 2504. For some reason IE8 could not do it - I needed Firefox as browser to get the 170 MB of the update.

I would assume and hope that Cyberlink's Customer Support does respond to a complaint you make (generate a Ticket) regarding the failed download.
K L V [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is not odd.

When I purchased PD8, I faced the same problem. I have the link file sent after the confirmation of order placed. But when I clicked on the link, system said No orders found. it may be noted that I have bought extended support also - which should facilitate re-download... that too not working for me and that is the reason I have put "Very Sad ..."

Have already contacted support and waiting for response.