Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 9 crashes during editing
SANDYC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2011 18:06 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have successfully organized 900 HD clips on the timeline with a duration of more than three hours. This effort went well. Now, during the editing of each of the clips, I am running into serious trouble. Whether I use the Edit function or the Clip function, the system crashes after editing anywhere from 1 to 5 clips. By crashes I mean that PD9 disappears and the system returns to the desktop. I have tried going slowly but this does not seem to matter. I have a PC with an Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8200 with 3.24 GB of Ram running at 2.33 GHz, operating under Windows XP V3 Professional. I have successfully done a lot of HD editing using both Adobe Premiere CS4 and Elements 7.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Sandy and welcome to PD.

Wow 900 clips/3 hours of video on the time line, I don't know if I would push any consumer editing program with that much video to handle.

If you could supply at least parts A & B in this post it will give us a starting point.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Sandyc,

Can you give us more detail on the types of files and dergree of editing them ? Win 10, i7
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Just a guess: would it work if you can combine 5-10 clips and produce a file in the final format. Then create a new project using this one produced file as the first entry and then adding 10 more clips and repeat the process. Instead of 10 you might try 20 or any number that works.

Usually if too much won't work, ten times 1/10th of too much might just do the trick. Agreed: a workaround, but at least you can continu to work.
Sanford [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2011 10:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have done the obvious - subdivided the timeline into four equal parts, each approximately 250 clips, 50-minutes in length, and approximately 10 GB in size.. Now when I edit I encounter few crashes. (Why do I get any?) Then for each I will create a PRODUCE file in MPEG-4 and will eventually piece together the four PRODUCE files to make a final on-hour video. The question I have is whether the quality of this final file will be as good as the quality I would get if I were to export a timeline to Bluray disc?
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have done the obvious - subdivided the timeline into four equal parts, each approximately 250 clips, 50-minutes in length
I encounter few crashes. (Why do I get any?)

The question I have is whether the quality of this final file will be as good as the quality I would get if I were to export a timeline to Bluray disc?

I've got no informed answers to any of them as I'm just a (trial) user of PD9 who likes much and dislikes a few things PD9 does. Fewer crashes seem to point to the way PD9 keeps track of what's done (partly in "undo" options: switching those off may get you even fewer crashes?) and 250 clips of about 10 seconds each should work (any number should) but possibly the overhead inside PD9 exhausts memory or address space (if it is all built in trees in memory) causing crashes.
The quality should be good if the part-products are not re-rendered for the final composite program. SVRT should then work properly (but my experience is mixed in this).
[Post New]
Same thing here with a small 12 second clip... Poor support as well. Hard to get answers. Chicago Web Design & SEO
http://cybersmartwebmarketing.com/
Paul Bunion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2009 19:17 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, the Cyberlink Customer Abuse Department in India is not very good.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
WOW 900 clips... that would make them all 36 seconds long. I would combine them into 5 or 10 minute segments, render them and then stitch them all together. You can still but your title edits on them the way you want.

I have found that whenever I get to about 1 hour and 20 minutes of stuff on the time line, then everything starts slowing down because by then I will have a couple hundred titles going. But I have never had it act up the way yours is doing.

Data overload.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
deklerkt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, the Cyberlink Customer Abuse Department in India is not very good.

I thought they operate from Taipei, Taiwan. From where I live, same direction though.
And possibly equally unfamiliar/uncomfortable with English as native language as most people in India. But in terms of customer satisfaction, response and total quality - most of those principles were developed/embrased/enhanced in Asia so you'd think Cyberlink acts accordingly.

Looking at their profile they claim one of their flagships is the Media Suite which contains PD also. But why does their latest Suite contain PD8 instead of PD9? Too much of a bargain otherwise?