Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lessons/training walkthroughs for new users?
Umbrello [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2011 00:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am quite new to video editing in general. Last time I dabbled in it was back when I had PD7, even then it was only for a short bit. Now I'm back with PD9 64-bit and I am wondering if there are lessons on the net that I could follow, possibly even quizzes to test me on how well I can make a video project. I want to test my abilities and ultimately push them to their limits. Any ideas?

If not, perhaps someone can throw something my way and see what I can come up with.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Umbrello,

Why don't you start here:

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/pdr
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a link to the top article on this forum. It shows you how to access video tutorials from within PD9.

Good luck!!

-Max

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15082.page
[Post New]
I would be grateful if someone could point me to some very basic training as I'm new to this type of software. I have looked at the available tutorials which are available on the cyber link site and they assume far too much. I need basic tutorials in trimming and also removing a section of a video halfway through a short sequence. I can do the basic trimming by using the "marking in marking out" but I am not able to remove a section which I think is something to do with multi-trim. I've also looked on YouTube but most of the tutorials referred to earlier models and there is very little available on the latest version.

I have also looked at the video/tutorial references given in the previous posting but as I have said they go immediately into what I would refer to as intermediate and/or advanced to quickly.

Maybe there is a link on you Tube to some fairly basic trimming multi-trimming and removing sections receptor that I had missed.

I did read up on which video editing software to purchase and I knew that there were comments about the lack of decent training manuals or videos available for power director but it did get very good reviews but I'm beginning to think that the issue of training is going to be a long road. My files are - AVCHD MTS files, 1920x1080, 24 MBS
My Camera is – Panasonic HDC- HS700
My CPU is – Intel 3.4 GHZ
My Video Card is – Nvidia GTX 8800 with latest Drivers 260.99 version
My RAM is – DDR2, 4 sticks totaling 8 Gigs @ 1600 MHZ each
My OS- Windows 7, 64 Bit
PD9 Ultra 64bit install with update 2504 version
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
First thing regarding trimming, I don't use it, it is too complicated......If you want it simple just use the split function and delete the parts you don't want.

1. Find the start of the section you don't want on the timeline.

2. Right click and select split.

3. Move to the end of the section you don't want.

4. Right click and select split.

5. Click on the selection you don't want and hit delete.....all done.

If you have multiple tracks underneath each other you want to split.

1. Use the same procedure as above but use the control key to select multiple tracks which will activate the multi-split icon above the timeline.

Now that took longer to type this out than actually doing the splitting process.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Hi Robert2S

very many thanks for some guidance on this trimming issue and will give them a try.

Regards Nigel B My files are - AVCHD MTS files, 1920x1080, 24 MBS
My Camera is – Panasonic HDC- HS700
My CPU is – Intel 3.4 GHZ
My Video Card is – Nvidia GTX 8800 with latest Drivers 260.99 version
My RAM is – DDR2, 4 sticks totaling 8 Gigs @ 1600 MHZ each
My OS- Windows 7, 64 Bit
PD9 Ultra 64bit install with update 2504 version
max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I basically do the same thing as Robert2 S does with the split function then delete the section I don't want. I'm basically editing home movies taken at various social events and such so precision isn't an absolute necessary at this point.

Starting out, I would follow Robert2 S recommendation on using the split function. It won't put your clips up top in the media area, but they will be independently movable down on the time line once you get a clip that you like.

I have found the forums to be very helpful. I would encourage you to frequently read posts and post your questions as often as you like. It could be the best "training" available.

-Max
MarquiMarq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2020 11:48 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Both the Trim feature and the Split feature are not working right for me.
When I use Trim, and then press OK, only the trimmed part of the video appears on the timeline, and the rest of the video, which I actually want, is removed. When I use the Split, as per the directions above, the timeline has two parts, the first part is the timeline up until the split, and the second is the start of the video again. Not sure what is going on.