Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stretching photo times - please reimplement!
DavidONeil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2010 11:17 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
In 8 you could take a ten-second still photo and stretch it to 20 seconds or any other value just by dragging the right edge, even when there was another still photo placed beside it. In 9, this seems impossible. You can right-click and 'set duration,' but when you are dealing with over a hundred photos making a slide show manually, this makes me gnash my teeth in frustration.

Please reimplement the older method of setting clip times! Have the videos and photos to the right move accordingly, as 8 did. Or, if I am missing something, please let me know!

Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not a replacement but what you can do is use the Shift key and/or the Ctrl key to select as many pictures in the timeline as you wish with the left mouse click. Once selected, the duration button will be active and you can change all selected pics that way.

If you know before hand the picture duration you like, you can set it in preferences before you drop them in the timeline.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 09:08

DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
The manual stretching method is MUCH quicker, and when doing some types of editing it is more accurate (i.e., when you have a pic/video in another track and you are trying to make the end of the pic coincide with something in the other track, manual is really the best way to go). In 8 it was so easy--now it is so hard.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Issue referred to R&D. Good valid point. I cant come up with a simple solution.
My ref: 139.

The only solution which comes to mind is to mass Group the images to the right of the point you want and move them. I realise that is an extra click or two and not as you've previously carried out.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 09:10

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Been an issue for me, too. Drives me nutty(er). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Dafydd. If I'm not mistaken, your workaround has another problem in comparison to the 8 way, but I've forgotten exactly how 8 worked as it was several months ago I did this procedure in it (and I was relatively new to PD). When a picture was retimed in track 1, for instance, items in tracks 2 and above would also be shoved over when 'link all tracks' was selected. Now you also have to also group the objects in the other tracks (which may be what you meant), or move them after the fact.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 13:59

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
While talking to Adrian the thought came to me..
Try:
Expand the duration of the image beyond the point you require and then manually reduce the image length to the exact position. Not an easy work around.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 15:41

DavidONeil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again! Hopefully this is improved in the future.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 21:57

Bob Johnson [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Staffordshire Joined: Aug 02, 2009 10:16 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
David commented on items in PIP tracks not keeping their place with main video. - He's right.
If you change the duration of an earlier photo then even if the pip has been "grouped" it will NOT stay with the other grouped items.
Try this:
Put 2 photos on track 1 then put another on a pip track somwhere below the second photo.
Now change the duration of first photo. - The pip doesn’t move. Is causing me a big problem
Bob
Bob Johnson
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
There is no question, the new link un-link/no main video track, makes it take much longer to edit a video. I'm still not sold on it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bob Johnson [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just realised that Sound and Text tracks don't move either when the duration of an object on Track 1 changes.
Bob Bob Johnson
Bob Johnson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oooops - Apologies.
Hadn't noticed the tick box on preferences/editing - My problem solved - Phew
Bob Bob Johnson
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fixed by patch 2702
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html
Please check.
Thanks
Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The clip extension for photo and video in 2702 does allow for manual extension by dragndrop, but only on the rear-end, I cannot extend a clip forward by dragndrop if there is another clip in the way butted up against it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Looking for feedback here, does it make any sense to not be able to extend a clip forward? This is an EDITOR program, and this is one of the issues that drives me nuts. How can you edit efficiently without this? It makes absolutely no sense. This is a critical flaw, I'm just so disappointed that as soon as a patch comes out, I am looking forward to the next one. This is not good. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bob Johnson [Avatar]
[Post New]
There is a "workaround".
Select the movie clip then click the "Trim" button. This allows dragging the scrubber (start or finish) and the trim can be undone later if required.
Its not what you're after from V8 but it is accurate to a single frame.
Problem is that you can't see how the trim interacts with other tracks especially audio.
I too would prefer to drag from the timeline.
Bob
Bob Johnson
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I'm a dragndrop guy, not once in any version of PD have I ever used the TRIM function other than to look at it.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
This issue of not being able to stretch the front end, is as I see it, a result of, or tied to, the new Insert/Overwrite design and pop-up we get in PD9 when dragging new media to a split, or to and empty space in the timeline (who’s duration is shorter that new media introduced).
I still can’t understand why this design element was implemented. What did CL think would be gained by adding this new design Insert/Overwrite feature?

Do I want to Insert?
Well, yes. That’s why I’m dragging new media down.

Do I want to overwrite?
You really don’t need to ask us PD. We are editors. If there is something in our timelines we don’t want, we would have already removed or overwritten it. We don’t need the program jumping in and asking… OK what are we up to here? What do you want me to do for you?
Geez PowerDirector, you never asked us that in versions 4 through 8. Why the sudden concern?

Especially as it seems that the introduction of this new design feature has caused many unwanted side effects, including unwanted shifting. Because when one splits and removes the first half of a clip/image, PD9 get’s confused because it didn’t get to ask if we wanted to Insert or Overwrite, so when something gets removed, it seems to default to doing an Insert, and then the split media shifts to fill the void of the removed portion, thinking we meant to Insert.
Yes, there is a workaround for that and other related issues. But still, why should we have to do a workaround to overcome a new design feature that is totally unnecessary I the first place? Or at least I haven't figured out what benefits were gained by adding Insert/overwrite.

OK, end of rant. Sorry all.
(But I do feel better, hahaha)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2011 09:25

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Barry
I think here that you are looking at philosophical alternatives.

Starting from the point of the extending clip, there are two possibilities to get it to start at a previous time -
extend the total duration by dragging the start time boundary (currently not possible)
move the clip but retain the original duration (currently possible)

However, the first option also requires that the left clip adjacent to the extending clip must therefore be automatically shortened by the extending clip. This may lead to confusion as 2 operations become interdependent and unwanted consequences may arise.

The second option triggers the insert/overwrite dialogue, making it clear that there are consequences to the chosen action, allowing a pause for thought, and then a considered judgement to be made.

Interestingly (or not) if a clip is moved to the right, into an adjacent clip, and the insert option is chosen, the move is completed and a "leading" and "trailing" space is created, the sum of the space durations is equal to the duration of the inserted clip, and these spaces seem to be apportioned in relation to the relative position of the moved clip either into the adjacent clip or along the timeline.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
That is a well thought out explanation. Could you just clarify the part after "Barry"? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)