Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error: A front-end graph streaming error occured
Kerbob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2007 01:49 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased PD9 two days ago after having very few problems with previous releases. With this new version, I'm running into this error over and over again with every video I make:

Media Source Error: A front-end graph streaming error occured. Try again or contact CyberLink Customer Support.

I followed the guidelines in the sticky and updated my video driver, from Nvidia, which was released on 10/17/2010 (see attached dxdiag report). This had no noticeable affect on the problem. My system is not a laptop.. it is a desktop; a very high end one a year ago.

Workarounds:
I've found that I'm able to get past this error by previewing the production to see exactly where the problem occurs. Then back in edit mode, I modify the point where it fails. Sometimes removing a transition fixes it. Sometimes adding a transition fixes it. Sometimes shortening the end of the previous clip works, sometimes adding a few seconds to the beginning of the next clip works. But on one project, I'm pretty stuck. I've only been able to get about 5 videos posted to YouTube which, by now, should be around 10 if I were having no issues.

I produce a lot of short videos and publish them to YouTube. Right now, I've been wrestling with this problem for at least 4 hours and I'm not sure what else to do. Any pointers?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
438 time(s)
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe you can found your answer in the following posts:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7837
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9881
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/12073
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Nicolas,

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7837.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9881.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/12073.page

All the links you sent were for previous versions, but I think the first link regarding PD6 may be about the same problem. In other words, I'm going to try to do a clean uninstall and re-install. I upgraded PD8 to PD9 and something may have gone awry during the upgrade.

Any instructions for clean uninstalling/reinstalling PD9?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 21:42

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kerbob,

Are you using any music tracks in your projects? If so....what is the file extension of the file?...mp3...m4a...wav...etc.

And what are you using for video source files in your project? Where did they come from? Video camera? Download? Can you also give some information about the video clips you are using? Are that all the same file type? All the same resolution? Give as much information as you can about the video your are using in your project.

We might even have you upload a sample if needed.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 21:57

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin what is Schtuum ?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Nicolas wrote:
Kevin what is Schtuum ?

Meaning:
Say nothing - especially in circumstances where saying the wrong thing may get you into trouble.
Origin:
This probably derives from the German word stumm meaning silent. The phrase keep schtum (variously spelled 'keep stumm', 'keep 'keep shtoom', 'keep schtum' etc.) is British and fairly recent. It has the sound of a Yiddish phrase but it is more likely that it originated in the UK criminal community. The earliest citation of it is in Frank Norman's, book Bang to rights: an account of prison life, 1958:

There you have it.

Kevin

NicolasNY
[Post New]
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Are you using any music tracks in your projects?
On and off. All my videos start with a short SmartSound clip which plays during my logo.
Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohKyWJYDnU

If so....what is the file extension of the file?...mp3...m4a...wav...etc.
If its not a SmartSound file, then its always mp3. The production failure is always between video clips though, so I assume that it is something with the tail of one clip or the beginning of the next. I put a black color wall between clips and, in that case, I got the error when it reached the beginning of the clip after the color wall.

And what are you using for video source files in your project? Where did they come from?
Canon SX30IS (and the Canon SX5IS before that). They are all AVI files straight from the camera copied to the hard drive. The Canon SX30IS videos are all in 720p per my settings on the camera. PD8 had no problems with them since I bought the camera 2 months ago and I've made a lot of videos since then with PD8.

Many thanks for all your help! Super support here!

I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I just finished my clean uninstall. Uninstalled everything Cyberlink including Media Express. Rebooted and deleted Cyberlink folders found in Program Files (which was ~630MB worth) and Program Files (x86). Just cleaned my registry with CCcleaner and am now ready to start the install over again.

Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
No luck. I just loaded the same project and had the error in the exact same place.

Do you think the PDS file is somehow corrupt and I need to rebuild from scratch?? I use a 16x9 and a 4x3 template PDS file I created in PD8 which just includes the header and trailer. But it hasn't errored out during the header or trailer.. its always right at video segment transitions (even if there is no 'transition' effect).
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Kerbob,

thanks for answering all those questions....I am not sure what the problem is. But the information you provided might be able to help figure out what is wrong. It is just over my head.

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
On another note....not related to this topic....but thought I would clarify why I have the "Word of the day as Schtuum".

Apparently my definition of the word only deserved a One Star rating!!

I thought it was a pretty decent copy and paste definition from another website.

The reason for having this word in my signature was an attempt to have a little humor with regards to the release of Power Director 9. Since there are lots of Beta testers of the product in this forum, including myself, and as the forums began filling up with tons of questions about the many issues that were previously uncovered by the beta testers....and haven't as of yet been addressed by Cyberlink.....we, the beta testers were placed in a bit of an uncomfortable situation. We are aware of the problems and we had to exercise some SCHTUUM about some of the issues until they surfaced in the forum.

So anyways I guess the word SCHTUUM and/or definition of the word only deserved a ONE STAR RATING!!

I guess after I just made my 1,000 post today since being in this very informative forum helping other new members get better acquanted with Power Director.....then I suppose that rating was desrved and fitting.

Keeping my SCHTUUM,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 00:06

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting reading Cap'n!

Kerbob - the manual for your camera http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300004195/01/PSSX30IS_CUG_EN.pdf indicates that the video is in MOV format... but you're the guy with the clips in front of you.

Hmm - over my head too. PD is processing the video section properly, but not the switch from one clip to the next (even with no transition).

If you upload a couple of short unedited clips (5-10 seconds) - just attach them to your reply - other members could test them on their PD9. That might get you closer to a solution.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I will check back tomorrow to see if clips are attached...G'night
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
ynotfish,
You're right; my bad. The new Canon SX30IS takes videos in .MOV format and my previous SX5IS is in .AVI format. I'm using the holiday time to catch up on some backlogged videos and am using .MOV clips in the one I can't move forward on. I think I've had troubles with the .AVI files from the SX5IS, but not positive.

I also have a 808 Keychain Spy Camera that generates .AVI files. I got the error using those files too but was able to fix that problem by removing the smartsound in my template and replacing it with a smartsound that expanded the entire video. So, now, it doesn't appear always to be video clips. I figured it was the smartsound file this time because it was the first time I used the 3x4 template and it gave the error before it even started producing.

The camera is like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/mini-Hidden-Spy-Camera-808-Car-Key-chain-DVR-version-3-/110612943512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c10b9298

I've attached a couple of unedited .MOV files straight from the SX30IS camera (not the spy one).
 Filename
012.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14880 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
366 time(s)
 Filename
003.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15077 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
360 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Kerbob,

Just taking astab...Have you ever installed a video codec pack of some kind?

You might try downloading "ffdshow"

It is a shot in the dark....

Maybe others can offer something....I don't have a clue

Kevin
mtsarpilot [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 11:05 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I've been getting that error on a number of occassions as well. Then again, I've been plagued with screwball error after error. With Kevin and Dayfdd's assistance we've determine my computer just does not have the video horsepower to crunch this hard. (see posting http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14248)

Like my other problems, I always got this error during transitions between video clips. That's when PD9 seemed to have to do the most processing as it was crunching on both the incoming and the outgoing video clip to render them and any affects applied to them, plus how to do the overlap it has to generate on the transitions.

I'd suggest attaching a DxDiag file so Kevin or Dafydd can advise if you have enough video compute capability.

Because I don't, I had to solve the problem another way, painful but it worked. The steps were:

1) Create a copy of my .pds project and in it remove all transitions and all content below this Effects track (i.e. voiceover, audio track, title track, etc., they will all get put back in step 3)
2) Render this in your final format, it will work fine because the extra compute of the transitions is not in there
3) Create another copy of the .pds project, import this new temporary rendering and split up the video clips. In my case Scene Detect did a pretty good job of splitting them out for me. It's important to start with a new copy of your original project so your title track, audio track, etc. all come back and are time sync'd to your video
4) Lay them into a new video track directly below their intended location on the primary video track
5) Slide them up to "Overwrite" the original track. This keeps everything in time sync to the other tracks. Some of the video's may have rendered short by one frame. You have to go in and delete that frame hanging out on video track 1 after the overwrite (part of the pain because you have to find them all, and now your timing to your other tracks is off by 1 frame )
6) Add your transitions back in
7) It will now render ok because the source video clips are in the same format as the final file, thus SVRT can be used and there is far less crunching to be done to render them and the transition along with adding your audio and titles, etc.

This was time consuming and painful, but it got the job done.

Good luck,

Joel
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've got the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 5.7.0 installed from February of this year. I think I installed the "Full" version. I see that there is a new one available.
http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

I know a lot of folks hate the Mega Codec Packs thinking you should only install what you need. Do you think I should upgrade, or uninstall and install another? I'm willing to try whatever may solve the problem.

Thanks again.
cmsintent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2010 15:16 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Here something weird... I am having the same issue now.

I purchased PD9 a couple of days ago... installed it on my Win 7 machine and have completed a couple of videos with no problems.

I was having an error message whenever I opened PD9 (Launch RichVideo - RichVideo is not installed on your system. Click [OK] to install RichVideo or [Cancel] to quit Cyberlink PowerDirector)

I contacted Cyberlink Support about this ... they gave me specific instructions to unistall and re-install (and they sent me new download files)

Now the RichVideo error is gone... BUT

Today I took a wmv file, imported, did a couple of edits and transistions. Now I get the Media Source Error message when I was attempting to preview it... and when I try to produce it.

Now for the wierd part... I took the wmv file to my other machine which has PD8 installed... and I got the same Media Source Error message. Until now I have never seen this message on either of my machines...

One machine has PD9 - Win 7 64bit
One machine has PD8 - Vista

I do have a support ticket into Cyberlink - just haven't heard back yet.

Oh... one more piece of info... don't know if it is relevent.

On my Win 7 machine, the oringinal PD9 was installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDirector

The last install (new files from Cyberlink) for PD9 defaulted to c:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector

I installed it there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2010 22:36

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi cmsintent,

Do you have a short clip of the wmv video file that you could post here? That would be very interesting to download it and see what others get for results.

Could you supply a 5-10 second clip?

Regards,

Kevin
cmsintent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2010 15:16 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin - I have 2 clips... one is 345M - the other is 750M

On the PD8 / Vista machine the Media Source Error message came up at the 6 minute mark... but the program was still rendering so I let it.

I was producing the video into > WMV > Windows Media Video 9 DVD Quality (2000Kbps)

It took a couple of hours to complete (video is 1 hr long)... what is interesting is at the 6 minute mark, where the error message popped up, is where the audio quit.

This video clip is of a speech... I had a camera man record > convert to WMV and forward to me... so I don't have the details of camera - I can get that info tomorrow...

I do know the audio track and the video track were recorded seperately, then mixed togther to produce the wmv file... it appears to me that it is the sound track may be messing this up.

Back to your first question... I could cut one of the clips down with the program and re-render ... but then it wouldn't be the original file... your call... let me know your thoughts - thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2010 23:24