Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"disc with an unsupported format"???
Grigoriadis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2010 11:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The information in this homepage is not really. Does powerDVD10 STANDARD provide support for blu-rays (normal, conventional blu-rays, nothing 3D or 4D or something...)

All I am receiving from my powerDVD 10 Standard is ...

"There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive ..."???
bionciman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2010 11:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I regret to inform you that in "standard" version, blu ray playback is not supported.
It is only supported in PowerDVD 10 "Ultra" version.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jul 16. 2010 18:30

Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2010 00:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I regret to inform you that in "standard" version, blu ray playback is not supported.
It is only supported in PowerDVD 10 "Ultra" version.

Why is this not PLAINLY stated ANYWHERE!!! Major FAIL!!
bionciman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2010 11:08 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I agree!

I have to "return" the standard version.
And then buy the ultra version.

At least the ultra has 3D capabilities, 1 step closer. Just need a graphics driver that handles 3D and some glasses...
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Here is the comparison chart of the different versions available. The beauty of the software is you can "try" before you buy for a period of thirty days.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/compare-retail_en_US.html
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2010 00:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I did review the comparison, and it does not PLAINLY state that only ULTRA supports bluray. It does say BD, now that I know what BD means, lol, but the average consumer would have no idea what BD means...

Besides, what is the point of paying $50 for DVD player software when Windows Media Player has it built in, as does my iMac, and soon enough the same will be said for bluray, it's just a matter of time...

For now we have to shell out a STEEP $100 to be able to watch bluray discs ($20 for bluray and $80 for a bunch of other stuff I don't need, IMO)? Obviously it's all about money, money, money. They could sell basic bluray software for much less and, guess what, make more money, because people are more likely to pay a lesser amount for what they need than waste a 'power bill' on the whole package.

End rant...
WolfmanKiknAzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2011 13:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have this problem now after I had to format and reload my computer (everything workd fine until my dumdum rommate had a party while i was out of town and idiots purposely went into virus websites to mess up PC !!!) I am using the exact same hardware and drivers as before and now it DOES NOT PLAY BLURAYS!!!! I have went thru everything on every website and I am just short of tryin another format just to see if it would fix sum random error!!! I have NO ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED, as per FAQ page, and I am runnin' Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with nVidia's v266.58 Drivers on a GTX 275 sittin on an MSI NF980-GD65 MoBo, i have the 3D Samsung 2233RZ Monitor and nVidia IR 3D kit for it, all ran by a 1090T PhenomIIx6!! I HAVE POWERDVD 10 ULTRA VERSION!!! I do not have any other clue on what to do!!! PLEASE HELP, THIS IS MY HTPC and it's SUKN RIGHT NOW!!!
Grigoriadis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2010 11:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Here is the comparison chart of the different versions available. The beauty of the software is you can "try" before you buy for a period of thirty days.

Please publish understandably version information. Try and see is not as professional as I as a customer deserve.

Everybody knows, that often installations/deinstallations, e.g. for trial purposes as you suggest, are the best way to slow down and quickly corrupt your Windows system. Sorry, that's Windows! On a machine, that is more worth than a testing system, I would never lightly install/de-install trial versions.
WolfmanKiknAzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2011 13:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/11285.page

read the part on here about DeamonTOOLS and it will get your PC workin again, or enable the BluRay part possibly (dunno bout enabling, since i got the ULTRA version already)
Kapyong555 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2011 01:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Customers should be aware that Cyberlink's products are very buggy - many customers report all sorts of problems with PowerDVD.

And - one especially thorny issue is the misleading advertising - it is very UNCLEAR which version is required to play Blu-Rays - numerous people get stuck on that, but it appears Cyblerlink likes it that way. The comparison charts are NOT clear, they seem designed to confuse.

Be wary of this product, and this company.