Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Previews not working well
Aaron407 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2023 20:55 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Is anyone else having issues with preview playback in the lastest PD versions? I have some 4k60 h264 clips in my timeline, and the video very quickly lags the audio when just trying to preview part of a clip with no filters applied. I've tried changing the hardware acceleration options, using low resolution shadow files, and my preview resolution is the lowest it can go, but it doesn't work well, and there's often a little gray "Rendering..." progress bar below the preview window before it even tries to start previewing. The computer is an 11th gen i7 with 32 GB of RAM and an Nvidia T500 graphics card, but it doesn't seem to matter what acceleration values I use - it still doesn't work well. I don't recall having this issue prior to this 2024 release. Am I alone in this? It absolutely shouldn't struggle just to play back a clip, and there are no issues in other applications.
Stoneware [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2021 19:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is anyone else having issues with preview playback in the lastest PD versions? I have some 4k60 h264 clips in my timeline, and the video very quickly lags the audio when just trying to preview part of a clip with no filters applied. I've tried changing the hardware acceleration options, using low resolution shadow files, and my preview resolution is the lowest it can go, but it doesn't work well, and there's often a little gray "Rendering..." progress bar below the preview window before it even tries to start previewing. The computer is an 11th gen i7 with 32 GB of RAM and an Nvidia T500 graphics card, but it doesn't seem to matter what acceleration values I use - it still doesn't work well. I don't recall having this issue prior to this 2024 release. Am I alone in this? It absolutely shouldn't struggle just to play back a clip, and there are no issues in other applications.

I have simliar issues. This didn't really happen too often in the previous revision, but once I "upgraded," I noticed the degradation immediately.
Aaron407 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have simliar issues. This didn't really happen too often in the previous revision, but once I "upgraded," I noticed the degradation immediately.

To be honest, it makes the software pretty much unusable since you can't properly see what you're putting together without fully rendering. I'll contact their support as well, but I'm not expecting any quick solutions. It seems like they did what so many software development companies do these days - they added a bunch of extra features that help their marketing but broke some of the fundamentals.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To be honest, it makes the software pretty much unusable since you can't properly see what you're putting together without fully rendering. I'll contact their support as well, but I'm not expecting any quick solutions. It seems like they did what so many software development companies do these days - they added a bunch of extra features that help their marketing but broke some of the fundamentals.

Since a laptop, you might want to make sure everything driver wise for iGPU is current with your 11th gen i7. The Nvidia T500 is not used for display unless you have taken BIOS actions to turn off iGPU if even available on your laptop.

Jeff
Aaron407 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Since a laptop, you might want to make sure everything driver wise for iGPU is current with your 11th gen i7. The Nvidia T500 is not used for display unless you have taken BIOS actions to turn off iGPU if even available on your laptop.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Yes, everything is fully up to date driver-wise, including for the docking station, GPU, integrated graphics, etc. What's interesting, though, is that my old 4th gen i7 doesn't have any issues playing back the same files when authoring in PD 2024.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff. Yes, everything is fully up to date driver-wise, including for the docking station, GPU, integrated graphics, etc. What's interesting, though, is that my old 4th gen i7 doesn't have any issues playing back the same files when authoring in PD 2024.

Do you use your 4th gen i7 on a docking station? Laptops can be strange with PD depending how configured, some ports, like docking station, can use certain GPU while mini DP or HDMI port when plugged into monitor can use different GPU. Every laptop can be different, make sure you evaluate your comparison in a similar configuration for best back-to-back evaluation.

Jeff
Aaron407 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Do you use your 4th gen i7 on a docking station? Laptops can be strange with PD depending how configured, some ports, like docking station, can use certain GPU while mini DP or HDMI port when plugged into monitor can use different GPU. Every laptop can be different, make sure you evaluate your comparison in a similar configuration for best back-to-back evaluation.

Jeff

No, there's no docking station with the older computer. However, the newer one didn't have any issues (and performed much better than the old one) up until the 2024 version was installed, even while using the docking station. I guess I could try running it independently without the docking station as a troubleshooting step. It's just strange that the previous version had no issues.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No, there's no docking station with the older computer. However, the newer one didn't have any issues (and performed much better than the old one) up until the 2024 version was installed, even while using the docking station. I guess I could try running it independently without the docking station as a troubleshooting step. It's just strange that the previous version had no issues.

I definitely agree, PD22/2024 has many serious issues on many avenues. However, it's also fair to review behavior on platforms as well as possible to maybe isolate and get something semi useful for one’s editing.

I seriously doubt CL will have any patch or push that really remedies all these issues in PD22/2024, so, one has to learn to live/work around or simply jump editing platforms.

Jeff