Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why is PD24 slower than PD17?
paulsw212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 19:21 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I was doing a test on an identical clip in PD24 and PD17. The good news - both versions appear to render the clip in about the same time (PD24 being 6 seconds slower than PD17 for a 2 minute clip.) The bad news - I was struck by how much smoother the whole editing experience was in PD17. For example - the two yellow handles used to highlight a portion of the clip on the timeline for rendering don't work properly in PD24, they constantly stick, compared to their smooth operation in PD17. Another example - when advancing the timeline by 1 second in the clip, there's a noticeable delay in the preview window in PD24 whereas it's fairly instantaneous in PD17. Editing just seems much more clunky in PD24 compared to PD17.

Why would this be? Surely PD24 is a more advanced and optimised version? My suspicion - the application isn't optimised and is taking more processing time to carry out the same editing processes. I'm working really hard to stick with PD24, but the discovery that it's actually slower than PD17 to carry out basic editing is really testing my patience!

Paul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2023 19:51

David62277 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2021 12:44 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I was doing a test on an identical clip in PD24 and PD17. The good news - both versions appear to render the clip in about the same time (PD24 being 6 seconds slower than PD17 for a 2 minute clip.) The bad news - I was struck by how much smoother the whole editing experience was in PD17. For example - the two yellow handles used to highlight a portion of the clip on the timeline for rendering don't work properly in PD24, they constantly stick, compared to their smooth operation in PD17. Another example - when advancing the timeline by 1 second in the clip, there's a noticeable delay in the preview window in PD24 whereas it's fairly instantaneous in PD17. Editing just seems much more clunky in PD24 compared to PD17.

Why would this be? Surely PD24 is a more advanced and optimised version? My suspicion - the application isn't optimised and is taking more processing time to carry out the same editing processes. I'm working really hard to stick with PD24, but the discovery that it's actually slower than PD17 to carry out basic editing is really testing my patience!

Paul

They have definitely bulked up 2024 with a bunch of useless crap (AI pictures... really?), and "moved the cheese" (IT term) for a lot of heavily used features. In some cases completely removed the cheese. I think they are gearing the software towards the novice tictok kiddos instead of people trying to make professional looking videos. I have rolled back to v21 and when I have time I'm going to look into a more professional grade software.
paulsw212 [Avatar]
[Post New]

They have definitely bulked up 2024 with a bunch of useless crap (AI pictures... really?), and "moved the cheese" (IT term) for a lot of heavily used features. In some cases completely removed the cheese. I think they are gearing the software towards the novice tictok kiddos instead of people trying to make professional looking videos. I have rolled back to v21 and when I have time I'm going to look into a more professional grade software.

Thanks, that's exactly what I suspected. I'm definately looking to go back to PD17 as it does appear to be a lot smoother to use (though I'm still doing a bit of testing around this.) A real shame that I still have 8 months left on my subscription!

An alternative is to look at a standalone version of PD21 - is this available to buy?

Paul
paulsw212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I said, I'm still doing some testing of performance in PD24 compared to PD17. Here's something I noticed - I noted above how the yellow handles that you use to highlight a portion of the clip on the timeline (do they have a name?) are very laggy in PD24 (almost like the programme can't keep up with the movement on the timeline), but very smooth (for an identical clip) in PD17.

I've now tested CPU usage in each case. In PD24 , usage of my CPU (a fairly old i7-6700) goes from 4% to 12% when I move the yellow handles. But in PD17, it goes from 4% to 40%. Quite a big difference!

What does this mean? That PD24 is more optimised in its use of CPU resources compared to PD17? Or, bearing in mind the laggy behaviour, that something is throttling PD24's use of the CPU meaning it's taking longer to process. (Note that hardware acceleration is enabled in both PD24 and 17). It's all quite mysterious!

Paul
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As I said, I'm still doing some testing of performance in PD24 compared to PD17. Here's something I noticed - I noted above how the yellow handles that you use to highlight a portion of the clip on the timeline (do they have a name?) are very laggy in PD24 (almost like the programme can't keep up with the movement on the timeline), but very smooth (for an identical clip) in PD17.

I've now tested CPU usage in each case. In PD24 , usage of my CPU (a fairly old i7-6700) goes from 4% to 12% when I move the yellow handles. But in PD17, it goes from 4% to 40%. Quite a big difference!

What does this mean? That PD24 is more optimised in its use of CPU resources compared to PD17? Or, bearing in mind the laggy behaviour, that something is throttling PD24's use of the CPU meaning it's taking longer to process. (Note that hardware acceleration is enabled in both PD24 and 17). It's all quite mysterious!

Paul

I really couldn't confirm your findings.

I used a 2 min, H.264, 4k, 60P, 50Mbps clip that was hardware acceleration decodable in both PD22/2024 and PD17. I moved the timeline right hand range selection continuously and randomly throughout the 2 min clip for ~30 seconds while recording CPU load at a 1 sec interval. I set PD17 and PD22/2024 to the same settings in all aspects that I know.

PD22/2024 had more CPU load, 13% vs PD17, 6.5% average for the same task as shown in the attached chart. Not really a desirable outcome, one would think things should get better and the same task require less horsepower with a fully renewed GUI. I really noticed no discernable difference in fluidity of moving the right hand range selector between PD22/2024 and PD17 testing.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD22_vs_PD17_rangeselect.png]
 Filename
PD22_vs_PD17_rangeselect.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
paulsw212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, that is interesting and I don't doubt it. Obviously, I can only report what I'm seeing with my setup, which is pretty old (though I do have a GTX 2080S GPU). As I said, it's quite mysterious. (I should add that in all my previous versions - PD10, 14, 17 - the yellow handles have always worked very smoothly. PD24 is the exception.)

Paul
Mike Hall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 29, 2018 19:37 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks, that's exactly what I suspected. I'm definately looking to go back to PD17 as it does appear to be a lot smoother to use (though I'm still doing a bit of testing around this.) A real shame that I still have 8 months left on my subscription!

An alternative is to look at a standalone version of PD21 - is this available to buy?

Paul

Yes it is. I was a 365 subscriber for 3 years but after the PD2024 update I unsubscribed and bought PD21 standalone. I got it from Amazon as a software download for GBP 58.
David62277 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2021 12:44 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]

Yes it is. I was a 365 subscriber for 3 years but after the PD2024 update I unsubscribed and bought PD21 standalone. I got it from Amazon as a software download for GBP 58.

I just got support to give me a link to download v21, and then turned off the upgrade notifications.
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
This is an observation and I haven't tried to quantify the performance loss, but it's a little more than anecdotal.

I shoot and compile videos of football games. To make the final version I add a running clock (minutes and seconds) and scores and team names. I use a pre made MP4 video of a running timer that I created from a Sharper Turtle video a few years ago in an earlier version of PD.

I wanted to improve the running timer so I started creating a new version, this involves multiple tracks, and will end up with nearly 8,000 one second clips, 800, ten second clips and 120 one minute clips, tedious but it works is infinitely customisable and once produced can be used in multiple ways. Basically just using copy and paste and minimal editing, it isn't hard just time consuming.

Currently I have created 50 minutes of the timer and the performance of PD2024 perpetual is awful, editing any of the one minute clips takes a long time and the display jumps as PD processes the change.

Much slower than PD19.
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is an observation and I haven't tried to quantify the performance loss, but it's a little more than anecdotal.

I shoot and compile videos of football games. To make the final version I add a running clock (minutes and seconds) and scores and team names. I use a pre made MP4 video of a running timer that I created from a Sharper Turtle video a few years ago in an earlier version of PD.

I wanted to improve the running timer so I started creating a new version, this involves multiple tracks, and will end up with nearly 8,000 one second clips, 800, ten second clips and 120 one minute clips, tedious but it works is infinitely customisable and once produced can be used in multiple ways. Basically just using copy and paste and minimal editing, it isn't hard just time consuming.

Currently I have created 50 minutes of the timer and the performance of PD2024 perpetual is awful, editing any of the one minute clips takes a long time and the display jumps as PD processes the change.

Much slower than PD19.

It's nice to know that the timer creation tutorial was the genesis for something useful to you. I hope Cyberlink will make rendering faster as they address the missing tools that we users want restored.