Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Less Clicks
Stoneware [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2021 19:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any task that takes less clicks now? Just curious if anyone has found one.
WEPHMusic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2012 14:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there any task that takes less clicks now? Just curious if anyone has found one.

Nope. Now I have to jump to Edit to do almost everything. Where with PD21 I could double click a track and quickly get what I wanted.frown
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I believe there are still many improvements in the new version, but few are willing to say it because most of the opinions here are quite on the opposite side.

Sometimes, I don't favor changes, either.

I don't like the opacity keyframe got removed on timeline, and the playhead doesn't automatically react to media I click/add, etc..
The common style options for title and overlay objects need less clicking now because I don't have to click and explore each style tab respectively on the ancient UI to find what I need.

The loading latency and "freezing" when switching between each different tool have decreased significantly, and the new powerdirector acts much smoother on this perspective ever than any old and heavy version of powerdirector I've ever used.
The performance of this version still needs more improvements though.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I believe there are still many improvements in the new version, but few are willing to say it because most of the opinions here are quite on the opposite side.

Sometimes, I don't favor changes, either.

I don't like the opacity keyframe got removed on timeline, and the playhead doesn't automatically react to media I click/add, etc..
The common style options for title and overlay objects need less clicking now because I don't have to click and explore each style tab respectively on the ancient UI to find what I need.

The loading latency and "freezing" when switching between each different tool have decreased significantly, and the new powerdirector acts much smoother on this perspective ever than any old and heavy version of powerdirector I've ever used.
The performance of this version still needs more improvements though.

I think most would identify improvements if noted. I drove around the new GUI for a few hours when released and identified nearly 20 negatives, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119383.page in that time, I couldn't find a significant positive to post. When I did, it was posted in the same thread.

I'm all for a GUI modernization, this simply totally missed the mark for me. Not knowing CL's motive for the GUI modernization, it's hard to say if it met their requirements. If requirements were to alienate long time users while maybe picking up newbie editors with the modernized GUI, I think judging from the posts, alienation was very successful.

I've reviewed much software through the years, I can't think of another that had such minor structure change but such major implications. So many removed or missed features causes editing and making use of prior pds files very challenging. The new structure really does not appear developed with editing speed and a good platform to grow in mind. It's really more just moved changes. Hard to tell if some missed features are part of the move, or intent.

A case in point, as far as timeline coloring, many, including myself have called it putrid. Had they simply employed a pref for user setting of color content with a default setting to employ past version it would probably have been very well received. I work with lots of varied content from many sources, I'd even like to color say mp4 vs mov files differently at times or even based on properties that give me editing issue, high bitrate, high frame size, so on. A good coloring feature could add significant user benefit depending on the editor. Again, it's really a difference between seasoned editor and a rookie, they have unique needs. This fixed color scheme totally missed the mark in my opinion, unfortunate, as it didn't have to and could have been deployed to add value for all.

Another case, you don't take an Audio mix room and use the same db scale widget that used to control clip volume and change the same vertical slider to control track volume. That's just a very rookie development mistake. Many cases to highlight but really not value added to continue here. Some release managers and developers should be assigned to new tasks after this release.

Jeff