Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PC recommendation needed - CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Speedfast [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 13:39 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have read the minimum specs on the website.

I don't need minimums.

What I am after is a recomendation on a PC to purchase. I need something like a HP PC model number that people know works well and I will just order it.

I am using the multicam editor and editing four 4k streams from a small stuido and my old PC takes days to make shadow copies to work with.

I will also be doing some tracking and redering of effects.

I'm sure that a lot has happend since I bought it at Costco 12-13 years ago.

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have read the minimum specs on the website.

I don't need minimums.

What I am after is a recomendation on a PC to purchase. I need something like a HP PC model number that people know works well and I will just order it.

I am using the multicam editor and editing four 4k streams from a small stuido and my old PC takes days to make shadow copies to work with.

I will also be doing some tracking and redering of effects.

I'm sure that a lot has happend since I bought it at Costco 12-13 years ago.

Thanks

Costco and HP have the best deals that I have seen for low prices. Here is an example. I would not go lower: https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-desktop---13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700---geforce-rtx-3060---windows-11.product.4000180454.html . I still need the Intel integrated graphics for some of my needs. You can find a similar Victus in the HP website for less if you don't care about RGB lighting and good looks.
Speedfast [Avatar]
[Post New]

Costco and HP have the best deals that I have seen for low prices. Here is an example. I would not go lower: https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-desktop---13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700---geforce-rtx-3060---windows-11.product.4000180454.html . I still need the Intel integrated graphics for some of my needs. You can find a similar Victus in the HP website for less if you don't care about RGB lighting and good looks.

Thank you. I actually would like to avoid any lighting. It needs to be dark, in the corner and not draw attention to itself.

I will look into what you recomend.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
With a modern computer you shouldn't need to use shadow files at all for most kinds of 4K editing, including the Multi-Cam Designer.

Also, having a faster system likely won't drastically shorten the time it takes to generate shadow files, as the designers have relegated that task as a very low priority and it's all but impossible to reliably speed it up. It still might take many, many hours - even if it no longer takes days.

In my experience it's always better to work with the original clips unless you have a specific case where shadow files will make editing significantly easier. And even then I prefer converting the clips to an intermediate codec because that takes only minutes per clip and PD can easily work with the converted clips.
Speedfast [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote With a modern computer you shouldn't need to use shadow files at all for most kinds of 4K editing, including the Multi-Cam Designer.

Also, having a faster system likely won't drastically shorten the time it takes to generate shadow files, as the designers have relegated that task as a very low priority and it's all but impossible to reliably speed it up. It still might take many, many hours - even if it no longer takes days.

In my experience it's always better to work with the original clips unless you have a specific case where shadow files will make editing significantly easier. And even then I prefer converting the clips to an intermediate codec because that takes only minutes per clip and PD can easily work with the converted clips.

My old and slow yet reliable PC chokes if I don't wait for shadow files to be created. It's good to hear that something new might not need them.

Now I need to get over the fact that it's goign to take $1,500 or so to do this. I was not prepared for that reality. LOL!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Now I need to get over the fact that it's goign to take $1,500 or so to do this. I was not prepared for that reality. LOL!

That's a beautiful system, but if you want to save a couple hundred dollars go for last year's model. The CPU will be a little less powerful and you won't get an RTX 3070 GPU, but you don't need that. An RTX 2060 or 2070 will be indistinguishable as far as editing with PD is concerned and will certainly cost less.