Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitle feature extremely (extremely!) slow
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
I don't generally create subtitles from scratch but rather imprt them into PD20 as an "srt" file. This entire process is beyond slow. Like, every step along the way is 3 to 5 minutes. Loading, saving, etc. Even just selecting lines of subtitles (maybe to be deleted with the 'delete' key) takes forever. It's highlighting 2 or 3 lines per second instead of all of them in the blink of an eye as one would expect. It can certainly be done because I've done it in other video editors and it takes a few seconds to load the entire file.

So that's issue number one, but issue number 2 is bad as well: If you select the option to create a DVD/blu-ray compatible subtitle setup (in other words, NOT the "burn-in" option) it will still burn the subtitles onto the screen if your output is an MP4 file rather than a DVD or bluray. MP4 files can have embedded subtitle (and other) streams that can be accessed by most MP4 players, allowing the user to turn them on or off if they want.

Luckily, there are free options outside of PD that allow you to create, add, remove or modify subtitle files from an MP4 file, but it would be nice not to have an additional step.

If Cyberlink ever gets back to the Subtitle Room to fix it,^ I'd like to also add that the ability to adjust subtitles forwards or backwards (move them earlier or later in comparison to the audio) would be greatly appreciated. This would be not so much for subtitles created within PD, but more for ones loaded from an SRT file.

Thank you in advance for a great program otherwise!

^ If they only fix one thing, PLEASE fix the excruciatingly slow speed. Five minutes to load and format a text file is very frustrating. System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I don't generally create subtitles from scratch but rather imprt them into PD20 as an "srt" file. This entire process is beyond slow. Like, every step along the way is 3 to 5 minutes. Loading, saving, etc. Even just selecting lines of subtitles (maybe to be deleted with the 'delete' key) takes forever. It's highlighting 2 or 3 lines per second instead of all of them in the blink of an eye as one would expect. It can certainly be done because I've done it in other video editors and it takes a few seconds to load the entire file.

So that's issue number one, but issue number 2 is bad as well: If you select the option to create a DVD/blu-ray compatible subtitle setup (in other words, NOT the "burn-in" option) it will still burn the subtitles onto the screen if your output is an MP4 file rather than a DVD or bluray. MP4 files can have embedded subtitle (and other) streams that can be accessed by most MP4 players, allowing the user to turn them on or off if they want.

Luckily, there are free options outside of PD that allow you to create, add, remove or modify subtitle files from an MP4 file, but it would be nice not to have an additional step.

If Cyberlink ever gets back to the Subtitle Room to fix it,^ I'd like to also add that the ability to adjust subtitles forwards or backwards (move them earlier or later in comparison to the audio) would be greatly appreciated. This would be not so much for subtitles created within PD, but more for ones loaded from an SRT file.

Thank you in advance for a great program otherwise!

^ If they only fix one thing, PLEASE fix the excruciatingly slow speed. Five minutes to load and format a text file is very frustrating.

Slow text in Titles and Subtitles have been mentioned for some time, it appears to not affect everyone. You might post your srt files and see if others have issue with it.

To disable Subtitles in a MP4 produce, just disable the track in the timeline. PD only supports mkv with Subtitles.

To shift Subtitles fwd or backward, one can:
Make sure your Subtitle track is active
In your Subtitle room right click > Select All Subtitles
On the Subtitle track, all the Subtitles should be selected and grouped, drag Subtitles to the correct time point

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2023 18:25

Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]

Slow text in Titles and Subtitles have been mentioned for some time, it appears to not affect everyone. You might post your srt files and see if others have issue with it.

To disable Subtitles in a MP4 produce, just disable the track in the timeline. PD only supports mkv with Subtitles.

To shift Subtitles fwd or backward, one can:
Make sure your Subtitle track is active
In your Subtitle room right click > Select All Subtitles
On the Subtitle track, all the Subtitles should be selected and grouped, drag Subtitles to the correct time point

Jeff

<Face palm> I can't believe I didn't think of that (for moving them forward or backward). I guess I didn't think of them as being a track on their own. I wonder if this process would also take 3 to 5 minutes though...

Weird that they only support MKV files for embedded (but not burned) subtitles. Anyway, it's not a huge deal since there are external programs that can do things with subtitles.

Thanks for the info, JL_JL! System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't believe I didn't think of that (for moving them forward or backward). I guess I didn't think of them as being a track on their own. I wonder if this process would also take 3 to 5 minutes though...

Weird that they only support MKV files for embedded (but not burned) subtitles. Anyway, it's not a huge deal since there are external programs that can do things with subtitles.

Thanks for the info, JL_JL!

Yes, it can be time consuming. Really depends on number of Subtitles.

Jeff