Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating DVD from PowerDirector 21
Amma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2022 10:03 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I will be creating my first DVD using PowerDirector 21 and would like it to be successful the first time around. My previous video editing software program was a nightmare, for whatever reason, when it came to burning the project to disk it would not work. For that reason I purchased PowerDirector and have been extremely pleased with the program.

To help you understand the projects I am making I'll try and explain what I have been doing. In order to keep the project as simple as possible I have created smaller videos with jpeg images and video clips. I will then use these videos to create the larger project.

I have watched several videos on creating a disk with PowerDirector and have been left with a few questions.
  • In these tutorials they were using Mpeg4 formats. Does this provide the best result when burning to disk or will other formats also provide the best quality finished product?
  • In the create disk stage the thumbnails in the menus of these tutorials were round with soft edging. The thumbnails in mine show as rectangular with hard edging. Is there a way to ulter the shape of the thumbnails?

I appreciate your help with these questions
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have watched several videos on creating a disk with PowerDirector and have been left with a few questions.
  • In these tutorials they were using Mpeg4 formats. Does this provide the best result when burning to disk or will other formats also provide the best quality finished product?
  • In the create disk stage the thumbnails in the menus of these tutorials were round with soft edging. The thumbnails in mine show as rectangular with hard edging. Is there a way to ulter the shape of the thumbnails?

I appreciate your help with these questions

The DVD format is about 20 years old, made for the video quality back then. It is basically obsolete today as no new computers have optical drives on them, like the floppy disk and drives not being present on modern computers.

The mpeg-2 interlaced format was used back then on cameras. Today it is mpeg-4 as the usual format for cameras and camcorders. That is probably the reason for it being used in the tutorials you viewed.

You can create thumbnails in any shape you like. I have them on the DZ. You need to do a search on the forum to see how it was done in previous versions of PD.